Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R-09 and SDHC?  (Read 7223 times)

Offline dmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • dance spaceghost dance!
    • ToriTraders
R-09 and SDHC?
« on: April 10, 2007, 05:49:23 PM »
So, I got the Transcend card, and I figured since it was around $5 more, I'd get the 4gb SDHC Class 6 card, which would be the fastest possible card just in case I find another use for it in another device that might need faster speeds.

I guess you're not supposed to do this, but i assumed the card came preformatted in some useable state (oops) and put it in the R-09 to test it out... and it recorded for about 10 seconds then told me the SD card wasn't formatted.. Oops.   I try to use the internal format function, no dice.   I try putting the card in my PC's card reader, and it doesn't do jack.   Hmmm.   

Is there something I'm not understanding about SDHC that's NOT backwards compatible (even though everything on the web seems to indicate it is...), did I get a bum card, or did I accidentally permanently corrupt the card when I tried using it without formatting it? 

I'm off to bestBuy to get a different 4gb card and hopefully I'll get one that doesn't suck this time... but I figure if I've got 2 cards that definitely won't be a bad thing and i'd like to use the one I got.  (there wasn't anything in the FAQ about this sort of thing, so I'm assuming that I broke it.  I can't even format the card using the device through windows as a reader, but it'll read the demo card it came with... so I dunno.  blah blah blah.)

Offline dmaster

• Taperssection Member
    • ToriTraders
Re: R-09 and SDHC?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 06:44:26 PM »
to partially answer my own question...

I found a card reader at BestBuy (they didn't have 4gb cards, go figure) that claimed SDHC support, and I have no idea if the other two readers I currently have happen to support that. 

Unfortunately, when I put the 4gb card in my new reader, Windows wants to format it FAT32 only, and claims it's 6.85GB unformatted.   Wow.    Also, it's going very very very slowly to format.  Maybe Vista can't do a FAT-16 device and i'm gonna have to do this on another machine?  (seems odd..) 

I'm really not sure what's going on here anymore, but I'm not thrilled.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 06:50:06 PM »
I use a SANDISK 4GB SD(HC) card which came with an USB 2.0 card reader adapter.
The only thing I had to do was format the card INSIDE THE R09 with "Finder/SD card/Format" and it was ready to go ;).
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Digital Quality

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 06:56:15 PM »
SDHC is not compatible with SD, I heard there is an extra pin on the card, in any event SDHC devices can read/write SD but not the other way around. Is the R09 a SDHC device? That wasn't my impression but I don't own one...

Not all 4GB SD cards are SDHC either - but all the 8GB ones are.

Edit: BTW, I think Fat 16 max volume size is 2GB. Fat 32 should work ok, just make sure you use a sector size of at least 32KB (format <vol> /a:32K). Sectors of 64KB would be even nicer but most card readers can't do that.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 07:01:16 PM by Steam Powered »
You are here: http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

rig:         mk41/21>kc5>cmc6>KindKables>v3>Axim x50v,WM6,live2496
playback: Marantz DV7600>Mackie 1202>Mackie HR824

Offline dmaster

• Taperssection Member
    • ToriTraders
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 06:58:58 PM »
The only thing I had to do was format the card INSIDE THE R09 with "Finder/SD card/Format" and it was ready to go ;).

yep, that's what I tried the first time.  It sat around and acted like it was formatting for around 30 mins, until i gave up on it and thought I'd try formatting it in the PC.   

So, i'm begining to think either I broke it, or it's a bad card.  Either way, I think I'm out of luck here.  At least with the new card reader I can get my computers to recognize it, even if it's the wrong size.  (good start, bad ending).

Offline Digital Quality

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 07:18:12 PM »
Woops I take it all back (except the fat32 part).

1) SDHC has the same number if pins it's simply a IO timing/firmware issue.
2) The R09 is SDHC compliant as long as you have firmware version 1.10 or later.

Now, I wish Dell would add this to the Axim too!

You are here: http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

rig:         mk41/21>kc5>cmc6>KindKables>v3>Axim x50v,WM6,live2496
playback: Marantz DV7600>Mackie 1202>Mackie HR824

Offline Gollum

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 05:54:22 AM »

yep, that's what I tried the first time.  It sat around and acted like it was formatting for around 30 mins, until i gave up on it and thought I'd try formatting it in the PC.   

So, i'm begining to think either I broke it, or it's a bad card.  Either way, I think I'm out of luck here.  At least with the new card reader I can get my computers to recognize it, even if it's the wrong size.  (good start, bad ending).

Same thing just happened to me. Brand new SANDISK 4GB SDHC, won't format in the R-09. It'll see it as an unformatted card and when I try to format I get the "now processing" message and it hangs there indefinitely.
 >:(

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 06:52:12 AM »
I hope your are ALL using firmware 1.20.

Offline Gollum

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 07:26:06 AM »
Version 1.20 is what I'm using. My digital camera doesn't like the card either- I get a "card error" message.

I suspect that it's defective and I'll see if I can exchange it. Was planning to use it tonight- now I'll have to do a card switch mid-set.   :-\

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 08:28:02 AM »
Version 1.20 is what I'm using. My digital camera doesn't like the card either- I get a "card error" message.

I suspect that it's defective and I'll see if I can exchange it. Was planning to use it tonight- now I'll have to do a card switch mid-set.   :-\
My digital camera "casio exlim ex-z1000" accepts 4GB SD-HC SANDISK aswell.
DidnĀ“t expect that. ;)

Offline Gollum

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 09:28:35 AM »
I searched some message boards and I'm looking at about a 2 hour set (no intermission). Going 24 bit on my 2GB card.......will be cutting it very tight. If I can just make it to the encore I have another chip good for a half hour. Really want to go 24 bit this time........

;D

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 01:30:09 AM »
Had that same problem with the SanDisk 4GB Ultra II SDHC until I loaded the 1.20 firmware. The card formatted in seconds, but shows 3.78 GB. Heard that from another R-09 user as well about the 3.78GB capacity after formatting. rWc3523
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 03:22:06 AM »
SanDisk counts 4GB as 4 billion bites.

Windows reads 4 billion bites as roughly 3.73 GB.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline cangurutopia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 04:32:10 AM »
As you may know, "R-09 SD card Compatibility List" is here.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/SD_R-09.html

According to this site, Transcend 4GB (SDHC): TS4GSDHC6, TS4GSDHC are not compatible.

I'm using HAGIWARA SYS-COM HPC-SDH4GT4C, which works fine. Over 2 hours continuous recording with 24bit 44.1kHz wav makes the sound files divide. There is no sound gap between those files :D.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 04:56:43 AM »
I used a Transcend 8GB SDHC card with success for several hours (restart before reaching 2GB point). It's a TS8GSDHC with serial 155384-0282.

I need a new card.
What cheap and reliable 4GB card should I use in my R-09? I don't need SDHC, just 4GB is OK.
Any advice except for the list at http://www.roland.com/products/en/SD_R-09.html ?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com