Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY Bar  (Read 1669 times)

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Return of the Shredi
DIY Bar
« on: November 09, 2012, 02:03:57 PM »
I have ordered some adapters for an idea I have for a simple bar that could conceivably do multiple configurations very cheaply. The basic setup is either one or two pieces of 1/4-20 all-thread in the center, adapting to 5/8 microphone mount on the ends. Lock the adapters in place with lock nuts on the 1/4 all-thread. Then in the center use a female-female standoff as a larger diameter to be captured in a shock mount and as an adjustment. Originally I thought to use a turnbuckle but the left hand threads make that a no-go, plus I don't think there's enough space for it.

My question is, has anyone identified an off-the-shelf microphone mount that works well with the Schoeps MK series with KCY cable? I'd prefer a rubber type mount to reduce shock to the mic when clipping in, and to add to the damping of noise. Just about everything on BH and the musician sites seems to be for larger microphones (1.5" - 2" grip length). I'm thinking to just get a cheap rubber mount and cut that down to size. And an expensive Schoeps clip is just too much to consider.

Edit: Looking at the geometry more closely, it looks like the bases of the mic mounts will be nearly touching. So that means just a short piece of all thread, and having to put it together through the shock mount.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:04:13 PM by eman »
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
Re: DIY Bar
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 08:31:15 PM »
I think I understand what you're attempting, though the typical configs mean that you won't need much separation between mounts. For wider separation, you could try this (cut the all-thread to any length you need). Although I found the nylon spacers at my local hardware store, I haven't had much luck finding them online. They need to be 3/4" OD, 1/2" ID, and mine are 3/8" long. They'll slip snugly onto 1/4"-20 nylon nuts, or 1/4"-20 serrated lock nuts. The 1/4"-20 coupler nuts I have are too small, but could be wrapped with tape, etc.

Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Return of the Shredi
Re: DIY Bar
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 09:42:57 PM »
Cool, I just ordered some Sweetwater rubber mic mounts, going to trim them down to a reasonable length.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com