Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: RadioShack tie-clip microphones  (Read 3121 times)

Offline TheImplodingVoice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
RadioShack tie-clip microphones
« on: May 15, 2019, 04:06:44 PM »
I own a pair of RadioShack tie-clip microphones from almost 20 years ago.
They came with a button-cell battery box (1.5 V).
They sound nice pwoered by the 3 V of the Sony M10 plug-in power.
Still, I think they can benefit from more voltage.
I have the specs for the mics from RadioShack, however they do not state the required Voltage.
Is there any way I can find out the optimum voltage required for these microphones?

Thank you

Offline TheImplodingVoice

• Taperssection Member
Re: RadioShack tie-clip microphones
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 04:46:37 PM »
Here are the specs:

Current Drain:  Less than 2.0 mA
Impedance (at 1,000 Hz) .... 1k Ohms +/- 30%
Sensitivity (at 1,000 Hz) .... -65dB +/- 4 dB

Offline Perry

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 06:40:00 PM »
I can't speak to your mics but I've run similar mics as high as 12vdc with no problems. But I don't think there was much to be gained by exceeding 9vdc.
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 03:51:39 AM »
Increasing the power supply voltage allows the mics to handle louder sound sources.  Are you running into the mics overloading at loud performances? 

Generally, the way these mics fail is you pass too much current though them.  As long as you make use the load Resistor between the supply and the capsule FET large enough, you can’t easily hurt the mics.  For 3V it should be about 3000 (3k) ohms, for 5V it should be about 5000 (5k) Ohms, 9V = 9k, etc...  If you get a battery box with a higher voltage (more than 3V), it should have the right load resistor since they don’t want to hurt anyone’s mics. 

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 08:57:50 AM »
Increasing the power supply voltage allows the mics to handle louder sound sources.  Are you running into the mics overloading at loud performances? 

Generally, the way these mics fail is you pass too much current though them.  As long as you make use the load Resistor between the supply and the capsule FET large enough, you can’t easily hurt the mics.  For 3V it should be about 3000 (3k) ohms, for 5V it should be about 5000 (5k) Ohms, 9V = 9k, etc...  If you get a battery box with a higher voltage (more than 3V), it should have the right load resistor since they don’t want to hurt anyone’s mics.

Would it hurt these mics if I ran them into the M10 with its plug-in power on AND also using their own button cell battery power on?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com