Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 discontinued? replaced by Sony ICD SX-2000?  (Read 41304 times)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sony PCM-M10 discontinued? replaced by Sony ICD SX-2000?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 10:33:33 AM »
All this time I have yet to see any fanfare PR telling us there is a replacement.  The sx2000 features seem more like a hot rod dictation recorder and it lacks the "m" designation in the name (m10, m50, ...).  I don't know that we have seen what the successor will be or if there will be a successor.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2016, 12:38:21 PM »
All this time I have yet to see any fanfare PR telling us there is a replacement.  The sx2000 features seem more like a hot rod dictation recorder and it lacks the "m" designation in the name (m10, m50, ...).  I don't know that we have seen what the successor will be or if there will be a successor.

Agreed, no way that the SX-2000 is a replacement for the M10. 

I wonder how well (or not) the D100 has been selling.  Hopefully that's not going to be Sony's only handheld recorder going forward.  It's a pretty high price to charge for a 2-channel recorder that doesn't even have a pair of XLR inputs like most of the competition does for much less.  I know some here have it and love it, but DSD and 192kHz PCM do nothing for me - I want better functionality for my money and 96kHz is more than anyone needs.  Consider that a Roland R-44 can be had for the price of a D100.

They would need to, at minimum, make a product with the features of the Tascam DR-44WL for me to be interested (minus the WiFi control).
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline tnelson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2016, 01:57:07 PM »
It would be interesting to know what Sony's current market analysis is for the M10 niche. From our perspective, they got so much just right with the M10, and we'd like them just to tweak it and continue. However, there's so much competition in this lower end of the handheld recorder market, it's maybe not worth it for Sony anymore. There's also the growth of smartphone add-on mic systems that I'm guessing is causing all audio manufacturers to think pretty hard about continuing to develop these standalone consumer products. I hope Sony produces a replacement, but I really doubt it's coming.

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 02:09:55 AM »
It would be interesting to know what Sony's current market analysis is for the M10 niche. From our perspective, they got so much just right with the M10, and we'd like them just to tweak it and continue. However, there's so much competition in this lower end of the handheld recorder market, it's maybe not worth it for Sony anymore. There's also the growth of smartphone add-on mic systems that I'm guessing is causing all audio manufacturers to think pretty hard about continuing to develop these standalone consumer products. I hope Sony produces a replacement, but I really doubt it's coming.

I am guessing (and hoping) that you are wrong. I don't see why Sony would have a professional recorder and a super lineup of voice recorders, but choose to skip this section. I think Sony has sold quite a few of the PCM-M10. We'll see. I might just be biased because I really want to see an improved version of M10. I'm not betting that I am right, so I've got two M10s ;-)
In Sony's camera business it seems they many times choose to wait releasing a new model if the competition is not that strong with the current model. And if I were to get a new recorder today, I would still get an M10, so maybe that is why they are not in a hurry...
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 09:05:20 PM »
Throughout the years I've been on this board, most of us can't agree on a good record, mic, pre-amp, cable, etc. However, the m10 is still held up as a good recorder. Not perfect, but after years since it's been released, we still seem to like it.
It's hard to say what prosumer lines of Sony, roland and tascam will do to stay relevant in face of everyone using iphones to record with. I simply like different devices for different things, so I hope there will be an m20 soon.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2016, 11:20:54 PM »
The question probably is, who the hell needs a compact recorder when they can use an iPhone and an app. Even governments that bought 661s and m10s for law enforcement might go cheap and just use government issued cells to record.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Drewskers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2016, 07:51:21 PM »
The question probably is, who the hell needs a compact recorder when they can use an iPhone and an app.

Battery life would be one reason.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2016, 06:36:12 PM »
Hey look, it's back in stock:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/638090-REG/Sony_PCM_M10_BLACK_PCM_M10_Portable_Audio_Recorder.html

Maybe just the other colors were discontinued?

Offline Drewskers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2016, 06:58:27 PM »
The black one hasn't been out of stock at B&H yet. I know, because I've been watching like a nervous nellie the past couple of months as I have been planning to purchase one for a project later this summer. Meanwhile the price on Amazon has increased substantially ($245), and Adorama started saying, "Limited Quantity, Buy Now":

http://www.adorama.com/sopcmm10bk.html

Then I noticed Sony UK says it is discontinued:

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/broadcast-products-professional-audio-portable/pcm-m10/overview/

So I pulled the trigger and nabbed one from B&H.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2016, 07:30:33 PM »
The question probably is, who the hell needs a compact recorder when they can use an iPhone and an app.

Battery life would be one reason.

Also:
- input options for external mics / line sources
- open ecosystem for connecting those external devices
- mic powering
- high reliability (not busy with other tasks during recording)
- expandable storage (available less and less on phones)

I haven't seen a phone-based solution that even begins to come close to replacing a dedicated recorder.  If phone manufacturers made audio recording as much as a priority as they do photo / video, things would probably be different, but in our visual-dominant world, this is what we have.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2016, 07:45:10 PM »
Just a suggestion, but we have a long-established M10 discussion thread.  We should probably move discussion over there, especially for the benefit of new members / users of the M10 who may not know it's being discontinued.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2016, 11:51:41 AM »
If the m10 is discontinued, we should have a special thread to memorialize its passing.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2016, 11:55:10 AM »
Really should, love this deck. Glad I have two.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2016, 02:15:43 PM »
I personally like the Tascam DR-2D which was discontinued.  If Sony does what Tascam did, the "replacement" will be have a few new bells and whistles but lack certain aspects we all need.  When tat happened I was able to grab a backup and 2 backups to the backup just to be set for as long as I am taping.  If something better comes out I will purchase but it was like the cassette days.  The Sony TC-D5M was as good as it got and the subsequent analog products were a step down.  While available it is worth the investment to get at least a backup.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2016, 06:25:45 PM »
Really should, love this deck. Glad I have two.

I've got my original deck which I purchased in 2010 and is still working flawlessly. And 2 more NOS units in boxes waiting to be deployed should the need arise.

Achilles' heel on these is the 1/8" line-input jack, IME. I've taken great care to make sure I don't plug anything in that can cantilever and compromise the mini jack.

I've currently got an nbox>2xRCA>Neutrik RA 1/8" cable>M-10. I wrapped the Neutrik connector in gaff so it sits flat against the deck and can't "rock" either way and bend the internal contacts on the deck.

I've since located this connector http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=992

Sits lower and is less likely to bend the contacts on any small hand-held deck with a 3.5mm input...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com