Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: so that's what those are for!  (Read 4887 times)

Tim

• Trade Count: (0)
so that's what those are for!
« on: September 25, 2003, 11:45:54 AM »
So I've had my B&W's for a while now. When I got them they came with spikes and these weird foam cylinders. I never could figure out what the hell those foam things were for until yesterday. Flipping through Stereophile's Product Guide (or was it HFN?) they had some B&W's reviewed in there and mentioned the foam bass port plugs. Ahhha!

I haven't decided if I'm going to use them or not but at least I know what the hell they are now!

:iamwithstupid:

DaryanLenz

Re:so that's what those are for!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 12:16:06 PM »
Tim,

Do you use the spike things?  What good are they?  Mine are sitting in a bag at the moment!

daryan

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 12:35:48 PM »
the spike things should be used spike down on carpeted floors to get the cabinets off the floor and use the little rubber feet on hard floors.

Tim

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 12:41:26 PM »
beat me to it Damon.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 12:47:19 PM »
So I've had my B&W's for a while now. When I got them they came with spikes and these weird foam cylinders. I never could figure out what the hell those foam things were for until yesterday. Flipping through Stereophile's Product Guide (or was it HFN?) they had some B&W's reviewed in there and mentioned the foam bass port plugs. Ahhha!

I haven't decided if I'm going to use them or not but at least I know what the hell they are now!

Use the plugs if the bass is undefined and sloppy coming from the speakers.  This will happen most often if you have large speakers positioned near a wall.  I also have the plugs with my 1SEs, but they are small and tight with not a whole lot of bass extension so I have never had to use them.  The foam plugs don't have to be all the way in the hole; you can push them in or out to achieve the desired result.  It looks a bit funny to have them halfway in without the speaker grilles, but that is one of the tradeoffs if you want everything "just exactly perfect."

If any of this sounds sexual, get your mind out of the gutter right now.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 12:51:22 PM »
it didn't to me... jamie, how'd you get your mind there?

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 05:33:34 PM »

Use the plugs if the bass is undefined and sloppy coming from the speakers.  This will happen most often if you have large speakers positioned near a wall.  I also have the plugs with my 1SEs, but they are small and tight with not a whole lot of bass extension so I have never had to use them.  The foam plugs don't have to be all the way in the hole; you can push them in or out to achieve the desired result.  It looks a bit funny to have them halfway in without the speaker grilles, but that is one of the tradeoffs if you want everything "just exactly perfect."

If any of this sounds sexual, get your mind out of the gutter right now.

:scared:
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2003, 09:30:40 PM »
the spike things should be used spike down on carpeted floors to get the cabinets off the floor and use the little rubber feet on hard floors.

Do you put speakers directly on the stands or do you put something (rubber feet?) between the speaker and the stand as well?

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2003, 12:51:10 AM »
you running those, mike?

the spikes are for transferring as little bass energy as possibe into the floor, and sending it into your body.

jr
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 12:54:02 AM by John R »
we all live downstream.

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2003, 01:12:58 AM »
Yep!

Them be my 6.3's :happylove:

sweet, i've got to t you for those.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2003, 04:50:05 AM »
Speaking of speakers check out the high dollar these old western electrics are fetching.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3048133523&category=3276

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2003, 08:16:43 AM »
mike,
    the darn Soliloquy dealer in town stopped selling them... bummer.  

Use blu-tak (sp?) to attache speakers to stands. spikes are not needed, but some type of rubber or blu-tak will help avoid the unfortuante act of them falling to the floor.  I alway's like to get the bottom of the cabinet off the carpet. I had to get new longer spikes that would penetrate the carpet pat.  Alway's want them mounted to the stiffest surface possible so damping is avoided.
SC

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com