Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking to purchase my first DSLR - what to look for?  (Read 7067 times)

Offline fanofthemule

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Looking to purchase my first DSLR - what to look for?
« on: July 01, 2008, 09:33:32 AM »
I'm just starting to do some research to purchase a DSLR.  What am I looking for?  My use for the camera will be about half family camera and the other half concert camera.  Most of the concert photos would be taken about 15-20' from the stage in decent light.  My budget is $750.  It seems like there are some nice Nikon's and Canon's in this range.  How important are the mp's?  e.g. the Nikon D40 is only 6 mp's but many of the others are in the 10 mp range.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sony PCM-M10

Fostex FR2LE Busman TMod

Superlux S502 ORTF

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
Re: Looking to purchase my first DSLR - what to look for?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 02:47:43 PM »
Couple of good threads on this previously...

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,70066.60.html

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,100817.0.html

Basically Canon & Nikon both have good options.  Canon's lower end DSLRs tend to have better low light performance, Nikon is now beating Canon at the top end (D300 +).  One other thing to watch for on Nikon's lower end (D40, D60) models is they do not have a focus motor in the body and so some lenses (non HSM) will not auto focus with them. Most notably is Nikon's 50/1.8 which can be a bread and butter low light lens.  The camera will work fine, you just have to manually focus.   Nikon's higher end models (D50, D70, D80 +) have a motor and will autofocus with non HSM lenses.  Canon's chief drawback is lack of compatibility, even in manual focus mode, with legacy Canon lenses.  Big deal to some, not to others....

Either way you will get a great camera and prices are very good on DSLRs right now.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:48:56 PM »
You might also consider Pentax.  One of the threads to which phanoohish linked includes my thoughts - and some excellent posts from pop and others - as I went through the same process, albeit with a slightly higher budget (which I've since blown, of course!).

You could pick up a used K100D (in the $300s somewhere) and have some cash left over for a fast 50mm lens, and have some cash left over for maybe a used Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.0 for some walkaround flexibility and good image quality without breaking the bank.  Or if you really want to stretch your dollar, Pentax has very good (though not perfect) backwards compatibility between their dSLRs and old film lenses, both Pentax and off-brand, and at reasonable prices, to boot.  Most of the older lenses are manual focus, but I find myself preferring manual focus more and more these days.  IMO, the big advantages Pentax brings to the table:  <1>  in-camera Shake Reduction (v. the far more expensive Nikon in-lens Vibration Reduction, or Canon in-lens Image Stabilization), <2> loads of legacy glass with very good backwards compatibility at low-medium prices.  And you get the benefits of SR in every lens you use, new or old, inexpensive or big bucks.

Lots of info and a pleasant user forum, a la TS:  http://www.pentaxforums.com

I strongly recommend finding a local shop that carries Canon, Nikon, and Pentax.  Try the different models in your hands, see how they feel, try the hard-button and software functions to get a sense for how they're used in the field.  I didn't like the ergos and hard-button and software functions of the Canon.  I was familiar with, and liked, the Nikon ergos and functions.  But over both I preferred the Pentax ergos and hard-button and software functions.

Lots of great options, I suspect you wouldn't be disappointed with any camera / lens combo in your price range.  FWIW, my biggest challenges continue to have nothing to do with the camera:  developing my artistic eye (looooong wya to go), and learning how to use the tool effectively and efficiently (getting there, though slowly).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bruloup

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 03:45:14 PM »
  i echo the pentax sentiment.   You can get some great lens for very little cost 70-150 dollars for great MF glass.  check out pentaxforums .com there are some k10d s up now for some good prices.  I am anxiously awaiting my 10-17 fisheye to come in the mail !!!! I have LBA bad ha!
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HYDRA silver Shorty XLR's > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T-Mod)

Pentax K10D>FA 50 1.4>DA 18-55>Tamron AF70-300 F4-5.6>SMC A 35-70mm MAcro>Vivitar PK 2x teleconverter>Vivitar series 1 105mm macro> SMC m 28mm 3.5 wideangle>SMC M 50 1.4 Macro>FA 10-17 Fisheye>SMC M 135  3.5

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 11:52:02 PM »
I strongly recommend finding a local shop that carries Canon, Nikon, and Pentax.  Try the different models in your hands, see how they feel, try the hard-button and software functions to get a sense for how they're used in the field. 

I agree with that.  But if this is your first DSLR, you will never really know how all those buttons/menus will work for you down the road, let alone what most of those even do unless you spend some serious time shooting.  In Canon's case, as is probably the case with others, you can re-program buttons to suit your own style; once you get a style that is. It's just matter of getting used to it. But, yes, always best to try them out first and see how they feel, grip, etc. 

Or just cut to the chase and get a Canon  ;D   http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Offline evilchris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 12:19:53 AM »
For $750, the stock recommendation (IMO) is a Digital Rebel (shop around for an XT, maybe), the kit lens, and the 50mm f/1.8 lens.

nothing > nada > R-09

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 02:19:30 PM »
I don't know too much about the Pentax or Nikon models, but I bought a Canon XTi 10 megapixel for my wife  last year and I gotta say that it's a great camera. Our first digital SLR. I have used film SLR cameras for years. Certainly it's very easy to use and takes great pictures. Pretty much anything you point and shoot at turns out quite good without having to know a lot about photography. As well the internal sensor autocleans itself when you turn it off. The stock XTi is about $750. We got a telephoto lens for it as well. That was under $300 (maybe $249). You can also find the camera bodies themselves for under $500.

edit: just did some looking around and they now have an XSi model that uses the same lenses and is 12 megapixels. Amazon shows it for $809
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 02:28:48 PM by live2496 »
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 06:28:31 PM »
FWIW, my biggest challenges continue to have nothing to do with the camera:  developing my artistic eye (looooong wya to go), and learning how to use the tool effectively and efficiently (getting there, though slowly).
this is my problem right now.  it seems like the more i shoot the worse im doing.  its like everything at first was luck and now that im making a (un)educated effort im blowing everything i do. ::) 

this hobbie is in some senses is much more intensive than audio recording.  im banking on the rewards being equally intense. ;D

good luck on the camera shopping, these guys are the perfect group to talk too so take heed to the advise.  ;)
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline fanofthemule

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 08:43:40 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, +t's

I'm still undecided and am taking my time on making a decision.  I'll pull the trigger on something in the next few weeks.
Sony PCM-M10

Fostex FR2LE Busman TMod

Superlux S502 ORTF

stirinthesauce

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 11:10:57 AM »

Or just cut to the chase and get a Canon  ;D   http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

:lol:

played around with a d300 the other day.  Had some bling factor to it, lots of bells and whistles.  However, I was more than happy to hand it back and grab my full frame 5d   ;D

Not to hate too much, it is a nice camera. 

Like others have said, technique is most important.  Lens and bodies are secondary.  Once you learn technique, then, you will start to notice a difference between the tools.  And learn to use differring tools effectively.

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 12:51:16 PM »
played around with a d300 the other day.  Had some bling factor to it, lots of bells and whistles.  However, I was more than happy to hand it back and grab my full frame 5d   ;D

I only have one thing to say: D700

;D
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

stirinthesauce

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 11:58:42 PM »

;D

Haven't been over on fm or dgrin lately.  Is that the new nikon coming out?  Or the rumored?  Like the 5d markII  ;D

I should just sell my taping gear and buy a 1ds mark III  >:D

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 12:27:35 AM »

;D

Haven't been over on fm or dgrin lately.  Is that the new nikon coming out?  Or the rumored?  Like the 5d markII  ;D

easy there cowboy!  lets not jump to extremes here! ;)

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

stirinthesauce

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 01:02:15 AM »

;D

easy there cowboy!  lets not jump to extremes here! ;)

nah, not doing that anytime soon.

It was nice though, walking into my local gallery with some new work, and a guy buying all my my previous stuff and most of what I walked in with.  Makes me want to go slut it up! 

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 01:17:37 AM »
that great!  maybe its not slutting if it pays for itself... >:D

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 09:02:33 AM »

;D

The Nikon D700 is for real, announced on July 1st... hard to believe actually.  It looks almost identical to the D300 but it's full-frame.  At $2k less than a D3, it's not that far out of reach.
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

stirinthesauce

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 11:00:55 AM »

;D

The Nikon D700 is for real, announced on July 1st... hard to believe actually.  It looks almost identical to the D300 but it's full-frame.  At $2k less than a D3, it's not that far out of reach.

Yup, I haven't been keeping up with the new stuff.  Got my full frame so I'm happy for the time being.  Start reading about the new stuff and I start lusting! 

Offline fanofthemule

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 11:53:28 AM »
I finally made a decision and purchased the Canon EOS Rebel XSI w/ the 18-55mm zoom lens

I also purchased a 55-250mm zoom lens to get some longer shots

Any basic advice for settings?  I'm going to a show tonight and would like to get a couple of decent pictures of the band.  The venue is decent to low light and I'll be 20-25' from the stage on average.

Thanks again for everyone's responses, t's all around!
Sony PCM-M10

Fostex FR2LE Busman TMod

Superlux S502 ORTF

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 12:00:50 PM »
^ Av mode w/ the Aperture stopped down as far as it can go.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline fanofthemule

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 12:13:15 PM »
^ Av mode w/ the Aperture stopped down as far as it can go.

thanks for the quick response.  av mode w/ apeture down to -2.  should i mess with the white balance or leave on auto.  will the av mode also leave the flash off?  i don't want to use the flash at all.
Sony PCM-M10

Fostex FR2LE Busman TMod

Superlux S502 ORTF

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 01:01:10 PM »
^ double-check what you're doing.

Av mode is on the dial (along side M, Tv, P, etc.) and it sounds like you're setting your exposure compensation instead of your Aperture.

nothing > nada > R-09

Offline fanofthemule

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 12:11:21 PM »
Some pictures from my first time out.  I'm still learning the settings but a few came out pretty good.

Any advice on what other settings I should be using?

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,107644.0.html
Sony PCM-M10

Fostex FR2LE Busman TMod

Superlux S502 ORTF

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 04:57:42 PM »
Try shooting in manual mode next time. Keep the aperture to the lowest number you have for those lenses. Then bump the ISO way up! I see many of those shots are at iso320, 200, etc. Should be no less than 800, and you might as well try some at 1600 to see how well it handles the noise. My 40D is always on 1600 for concerts. Other than that, great start, keep it up!

Offline restevezes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 02:17:13 AM »
another first timer here.... looking for good prices, spotted what it looks to me a great deal, the good old Canon 350d (XT) plus a EF 28-90mm f4-5.6 Lens for 400$
What is your advice? Is the 350D still a good option (that lens looks great range to me), or better save money for a superior model?

thanks

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 01:07:13 PM »
Congrats!

I just got a 55-250IS and I am BLOWN AWAY by the clarity on this lens - I find it even sharper than my 50mm 1.8.  I have a Rebel XT, fwiw.

If the 18-55 EF-s lens is even half as good, I'll be trying to score one of those as well - what's your feeling, since you have both lenses?

Cheers!

DPA4060
R09

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 09:51:56 PM »
^ if this is true, either for aperture is too low (DOF @ f/1.8 is razor thin) or you got a bad copy of the 50/1.8.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 10:22:17 PM »
It's not so much that the 1.8 is soft, but that the 55-250 is sharper. The speed on the 1.8  is obviously a huge plus, and I'd have to say it offers slightly (but only slightly) richer colour and contrast, but the actual clarity on the zoom is consistently sharp beyond any other lens I've tried on this camera.  I'll try to post some comparison pix between it and the 50mm at some point. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:25:53 PM by divamum »
DPA4060
R09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 52 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com