Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealth filming help  (Read 14272 times)

Offline kisspep

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Stealth filming help
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 04:16:43 PM »
Is there anyone who runs the zs-3 nonstop with no problems?

I've only done it twice so far (22mins or so) but haven't noticed any problems... Be interested to hear if other people have had problems like yours as the uninterrupted recrding feature was a big factor in my decision to buy.

I filmed more than 8 shows with ZS3 nonstop and never had these zoom problems... works perfect. Shows about 120minutes.
Mics: CA-11 (cards) / CA-11 Series II Omnis.
Power: Church Audio Ugly Battery Box.
Preamp: Church Audio CA-9000.
Recorder: Zoom H2 / Tascam DR-07 / Tascam DR2D
Video: Lumix ZS3 / Lumix ZR3

Offline pepper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 01:00:40 PM »
I ended up taking a pair of shorts,and sticking the cam in one leg of them to hide it,and had the lens poking out.Long story short,i got it filmed and no real problems,managed to check the screen for zooms and panning( so no awful shots of the floor/ceiling or anything like that).Not a perfectcly filmed show,but ive seen some stealth films that are not worth watching.Now ive got to transfer the footage and hope i dont have problems with dropped frames again like i have before.

Offline TimeBandit

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 02:05:42 PM »
Quote from: genesisoh
Although the US version of the zs-3 can in theory record non-stop, my experience has been otherwise.  I always stop the camera in between songs (or pair of songs).  The few times I have let it run for 15+ minutes it started acting flakey (zoom no longer worked etc.) and the last time it completely froze and I had to take the battery out to get it back to normal.  What puzzles me is that I have recorded concerts where the time between songs was minimal, but stopping/starting still worked.  Initially I thought the freezing was a heat issue, but now I'm beginning to think that the card may be the culprit? 

To get back on topic: Point-and-Shoots do offer some great recording advantages vs actual video cameras.  However, if you wish to record a concert and not have to worry about getting nabbed, isolate yourself in an area (usually near the back but not always) where essentially no one is behind you.  Good luck!

Part 1: Maybe it an issue the camera went too hot especially its hot enough and high humidity in the venue, so because of the heat it went into abnormal functions. Maybe the SD Card also wasnt that heat resistant.
And always before each session use a card which is fresh formatted - do the format in camera you use not on the home computer.
Think it wasnt the battery if the li-ion gets too hot you get a message in display and later a countdown before cam shuts down for protection.

Part 2: if filming from front or back of the audience depends on the act. On bands or venues with taper paranoia they fishing you out whereever you are. And the sec stuff is trained enough meanwhile if they see someone holding up the P/S for all the time so they suggest youre filming and they get you out.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 02:08:29 PM by TimeBandit »
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 02:43:28 PM »
I ended up taking a pair of shorts,and sticking the cam in one leg of them to hide it,and had the lens poking out.Long story short,i got it filmed and no real problems,managed to check the screen for zooms and panning( so no awful shots of the floor/ceiling or anything like that).Not a perfectcly filmed show,but ive seen some stealth films that are not worth watching.Now ive got to transfer the footage and hope i dont have problems with dropped frames again like i have before.

seems like alot of extra effort when you could have taken the Zi8 and most likely held up the cam and filmed the show and no one would have cared

I have a friend in san fran who goes to a TON of shows,  stands in the front row and shoots with a sony hx9v and RARELY gets hassled about shooting video

http://www.youtube.com/user/concertkid2
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline pepper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 05:00:39 PM »
I do see your point,but not sure i could'nt have zoomed much( was sat at the back of the vnue,as i paid extra for seats) with the zi8 without really using a lot of battery power.Also the battery i have for my sony cam has about 6 hours of life when fully charged so i was free to zoom as much as i wanted.Also the owner of the venue is sometimes hanging around the soundguy,and wipping out my cam( zi8) in full view wouldnt be smart.Hes a bit of a dick tbh,and didnt want to let him see.I think there were also band people ( promoter etc ) hanging around and really didnt feel comftable at times.Anyway i got it done and im sure for a stealth job,i think it may have come out pretty good.I also recorded seperate audio,so maybe a half decent dvd can be created.Not sure im going to make a habit of stealth filming,but when im feeling brave enough,who knows.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 05:11:57 PM by pepper »

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
I was at Primus last week in the front row and i saw a security staff member going up to anyone within his reach who was holding up a phone or point and shoot for any extended period of time other than taking a pic and warning them to stop.

Offline genesisoh

• Taperssection Regular
  • The Y1K problem caused the dark ages!
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 12:46:49 AM »
Quote from: genesisoh
Although the US version of the zs-3 can in theory record non-stop, my experience has been otherwise.  I always stop the camera in between songs (or pair of songs).  The few times I have let it run for 15+ minutes it started acting flakey (zoom no longer worked etc.) and the last time it completely froze and I had to take the battery out to get it back to normal.  What puzzles me is that I have recorded concerts where the time between songs was minimal, but stopping/starting still worked.  Initially I thought the freezing was a heat issue, but now I'm beginning to think that the card may be the culprit? 

To get back on topic: Point-and-Shoots do offer some great recording advantages vs actual video cameras.  However, if you wish to record a concert and not have to worry about getting nabbed, isolate yourself in an area (usually near the back but not always) where essentially no one is behind you.  Good luck!

Part 1: Maybe it an issue the camera went too hot especially its hot enough and high humidity in the venue, so because of the heat it went into abnormal functions. Maybe the SD Card also wasnt that heat resistant.
And always before each session use a card which is fresh formatted - do the format in camera you use not on the home computer.
Think it wasnt the battery if the li-ion gets too hot you get a message in display and later a countdown before cam shuts down for protection.

Part 2: if filming from front or back of the audience depends on the act. On bands or venues with taper paranoia they fishing you out whereever you are. And the sec stuff is trained enough meanwhile if they see someone holding up the P/S for all the time so they suggest youre filming and they get you out.

As far as the "freezing up" issue, I am now almost certain that it is a card issue.  I am currently using a 32 Gig Transcend class 6 card.  I like large cards so that I can film 2+ hour shows without having to change out a card (changing the batteries is hard enough!).  I am not at all surprised that it is most likely the SD card because they can be so finicky at times.

What SD card do you use?  Is there a card that anyone would recommend that performs better in these cameras for HD video shooting?  Thanks much!
Mics: CA-14 cards and omnis
Preamp: CA 9100 (not currently in use - wanna buy it???)
Recorder: TASCAM DR-2D
Video: Sony hx9v; Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 (old faithful)

Offline genesisoh

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 01:14:04 AM »
I do see your point,but not sure i could'nt have zoomed much( was sat at the back of the vnue,as i paid extra for seats) with the zi8 without really using a lot of battery power.Also the battery i have for my sony cam has about 6 hours of life when fully charged so i was free to zoom as much as i wanted.Also the owner of the venue is sometimes hanging around the soundguy,and wipping out my cam( zi8) in full view wouldnt be smart.Hes a bit of a dick tbh,and didnt want to let him see.I think there were also band people ( promoter etc ) hanging around and really didnt feel comftable at times.Anyway i got it done and im sure for a stealth job,i think it may have come out pretty good.I also recorded seperate audio,so maybe a half decent dvd can be created.Not sure im going to make a habit of stealth filming,but when im feeling brave enough,who knows.

Congrats on successfully getting your gear in and making a descent recording!  Over time, you will be able to tweak your filming as you see the results afterwards.  You'll see what looks good and what doesn't and will make changes the next time you shoot.  I remember filming some songs where I thought I was getting an amazing capture and then watching it later and asking myself what was I thinking??? :-)  You're vibe for filming in a venue will improve as well.  I used to be really paranoid (especially when I first started out) but have just been amazed at how many times I observed that basically security didn't give a hoot about anyone filming.  There are so many of these phone cameras that it provides alot of cover. 

Also, great idea to record audio as well.  It will almost always be better than the cam audio.  If not, you had best invest in some CA-14 mics! :-)  Good luck with any future shows you film.

Offline pepper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 05:13:05 AM »
Here is a clip of the show,its not perfect but i have seen worse stealth filmed shows.

http://www.youtube.com/user/djspl51bw?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/H2IPyerI_ko

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 04:53:26 PM »

I routinely run my zs3 for up to 75 minutes (moderate zooming, on an extended battery) with no problems.
I use Sandisk 16gb class 6 cards.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 04:39:17 AM by tapeheadtoo »
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Online guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 08:27:53 AM »

I shot Rush in Baltimore non-stop with a ZS7 - no problems whatsoever.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline genesisoh

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 12:33:12 PM »

I shot Rush in Baltimore non-stop with a ZS7 - no problems whatsoever.

What card are you using?  I am almost certain my "freezing" issues are caused by the card I am using (Transcend 32Gig class 6).  I am trying to figure out if it is the brand or class (or both) that is the culprit.  Thanks in advance for any info! :-)

Offline TimeBandit

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 03:16:18 PM »
do a full format on the card in the camera.

if the camera only does a quick format (it's fast but only deleting / rewriting the FAT) do a full format of the card on n the computer (FULL format, not quick format). Put it into the cam and format with the camera again.

try a test recording with not so critical stuff when it's lost over a long time. iff the dropouts also appearing even it's not hot around the camera you should replace the card to a new one. these dropouts and freezes are a sign that the card is just before it's death.

i don't know which sd Cards is best for the zs. Maybe you should try class10 cards.
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Online guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 06:44:12 AM »
What card are you using?

Mostly Kingston class 4 / 16 GB cards.

I don't think I've ever had a malfunction, freeze, or dropped frames.  And I've shot dozens of hours of video.  Although - much of what I shot is short family video clips.  But several full concerts also.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline genesisoh

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 04:51:04 PM »
do a full format on the card in the camera.

if the camera only does a quick format (it's fast but only deleting / rewriting the FAT) do a full format of the card on n the computer (FULL format, not quick format). Put it into the cam and format with the camera again.

try a test recording with not so critical stuff when it's lost over a long time. iff the dropouts also appearing even it's not hot around the camera you should replace the card to a new one. these dropouts and freezes are a sign that the card is just before it's death.

i don't know which sd Cards is best for the zs. Maybe you should try class10 cards.

I just bought a SanDisk 32 Gig class 10 card.  Sandisk (as well as Kingston) seem to be reliable in most products.  However it may not just be the brand.  Class 10 may do the trick.  My most recent odd zs3 experience was while filming a concert where there were many flashing lights going off during most of the song.  About 8 minutes into the song I noticed that the flashing video recording icon was not there.  I figured I just forgot to press start, but when I did nothing happened.  In fact, I had to take the battery out of the camera to get it to respond again.  Very strange behavior!  My guess is that the card I was using (Transcend class 6) was not fast enough to keep up with the intense bombardment of lights.  Hoping that class 10 will do the trick.  I have a show coming up in a few weeks so I'll find out :-)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com