Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How do you like the Canon Digital Rebel Xt ? (aka EOS 350D) ..  (Read 7798 times)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
Re: How do you like the Canon Digital Rebel Xt ? (aka EOS 350D) ..
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 05:41:57 PM »
May I suggest www.dgrin.com as well.  Its not quite as busy as fm.com and the folks there are a lot like the folks here...nice and willing to help a noobie in need.

The lenses I use most for concerts/lowlight shooting are my sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 (soon to be replaced by the canon L version) and the 70-200mm f/2.8L non IS (non IS was sharper than the IS version, and I like to think I have a steady hand).  I use the 50mm f/1.8 on occasion in extreme lowlight circumstances.  Plus its dirt cheap so theres no reason why you shouldn't have one.

A good rule of thumb, your shutter speed be equivalent to your focal length...so if you're shooting at 200mm, your going to almost need a shutter speed of 1/200 to get a steady shot.

The xt does just fine in low light from all the pictures I've seen, however, I've never used one, but for the most part its quite similar to the 20D and 30D just without the bells and whistles.

other good sites for reviews on lenses...
www.photozone.de
www.pbase.com - you can search lenses hear and get sample pictures taken with the lens by pbase users.
http://www.photodo.com/
there's also a great review board on fm.com

also, one last thing to remember, the rebel, xt, 10D, 20D, and 30D all have a 1.6x crop...if you want a full frame camera like a normal slr, you're going to have to move up to the 5D or one of the more professional cameras.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 06:29:29 PM »
A good rule of thumb, your shutter speed be equivalent to your focal length...so if you're shooting at 200mm, your going to almost need a shutter speed of 1/200 to get a steady shot.

That rule of thumb was created in the days of the 35mm SLR. If you have a crop body, you're going to need to alter that accordingly. For example, for a 1.6x crop with a 200mm lens, you'd want a shutter speed of 1/320.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 07:02:10 PM »
d'oh, good call.

another good tip, take lots of shots.  I can easily burn through a 4gb card during a concert.  You're bound to get at least a couple good shots.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 08:12:01 PM »
Don't forget about prime lenses... Canon has a 50mm f1.8 that sells for $80!!! Sure no zoom, but you'll be loving that f1.8 in the dark with no flash. :)

They also make another reasonably priced 85mm f1.8 prime as well. They have their downsides, but you've got to love those fast lenses...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 08:49:18 PM »
d'oh, good call.

another good tip, take lots of shots.  I can easily burn through a 4gb card during a concert.  You're bound to get at least a couple good shots.

OMG, you're not kidding. I forgot the FIRST rule of film shooting the other day which was to make sure you have at least 3x as many rolls of film as you think you'll need (I've been spoiled by a pretty big card in my digi p&S).  Fortunately I was watching the counter and realised in time so I didn't miss the end of the show which was actually the "most important" bit (I have an 8 year old who would never have forgiven me if I'd'a missed her Big Moment) but sheesh - it really pointed out to me how long it's been and how lazy I've become. 

I can't even FIND my tripod these days - it must've gotten lost in the last move. 

The thing that cracked me up most was how I'd take a shoot and then automatically glance at the back of the camera to "check" the image... but of course there wasn't one!  Duh.  Had to just do it in my head, trust the Canon's lightmeter (my god I'd forgotten how good it is) and split between slow-shutter no-flash and hoping the built-in flash had enough in it to make the distance (it did). 

But it felt really really REALLY good to be shooting something "for real" again.  I'm no photographic genius - it's all just for fun - but I'd forgotten just how much FUN it really is.  Which is, of course, why I'm prompted to scout around for gear and have raised all these questions!  I've been so into the recording side of things for the last 2 years I'd almost forgotten how much fun taking pictures is :)
DPA4060
R09

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 10:46:35 PM »

That rule of thumb was created in the days of the 35mm SLR. If you have a crop body, you're going to need to alter that accordingly. For example, for a 1.6x crop with a 200mm lens, you'd want a shutter speed of 1/320.

i don't think the crop factor applies to that rule of thumb.  it's what i go by on the 20d and i don't suffer problems with camera shake.  i'm able to get sharp images with my 135 down to 1/90 if i'm careful and certainly at 1/125.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 11:49:20 PM »
Well, it is only a rule of thumb, but the sensor size matters. Basically, the blur is magnified relative to the sensor size. The final image size also matters - I think the original rule was with a 35mm creating an 8"x10" print. Plenty of digicam owners never print or only do 4"x6" from their local drugstore or photo shop. With good technique, many people can easily do better than that rule, as you've said.

Balance also matters a lot for steadiness. Having shot a few with your 20D (+ grip?) and 135/2 at the State, that is one well-balanced combination. An XT + a 70-200/2.8 is not a stable combination. I can't imagine using an XT as my full-time body. Last year, I shot with one that some guy in Chicago had with him and it felt like using it with any L made it awkwardly lens-heavy. It was decent with that 17-85 IS the guy was using, though.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 07:39:39 AM »
http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/1924/hotshot-shoot-out.html

be careful though, a lot has happened since then...two more major players have come to the field - the sony alpha and the soon to come out nikon D80.  Not to mention the 20D has dropped considerably in price do to the 30D.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 11:28:35 AM »
The guy's on a budget, and the xt is plenty good, that's my only point. A used 20D is still going to be more $ than a new XT isn't it?

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 11:33:13 AM »
True, but not by much.  The Sony Alpha's are only $900-$1000 with kit lens and they're 10.2mp's but from all the reviews I've read, the noise sucks above ISO800

If lowlight shooting with high ISO's is still your main focus, then canon anything is the way to go.

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2006, 08:11:03 AM »
http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/1924/hotshot-shoot-o ut.html

GREAT review info - thanks!!  Thanks too for the other site links - they're all great resources.

I think both budget constraints and the extra weight of the 20d mean that the XT will prolly fit my needs. I don't use my cameras so hard that the metal body is a dealbreaker and given the lack of $ to spend, that's something I can live without (nice though it would be). And since I already have some decent Canon autofocus lenses from my 35mm rig, I think that pretty much means I'll stick with them - I'm sure more recent generations of USM are faster but the optics on these are terrific and have served me well. At this point, I need to put all $ just into getting on the digiSLR food chain. Then I can upgrade lenses in due course if and as it becomes necessary.  But for now...

thanks again guys for all this great info and for pointing me in the right directions website and shoppingwise. Google is a wonderful thing, but reccos from here are even better!
DPA4060
R09

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2006, 09:47:57 AM »
I think you'll be quite happy with the xt, have fun engossing yourself with another expensive hobby.  ;D

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2006, 01:30:40 PM »
I think you'll be quite happy with the xt, have fun engossing yourself with another expensive hobby.  ;D

geez, you're not kidding.  My wishlist is now a set of HEB's, an R09 and an XT body.  Santa better take credit and offer 0% interest is all I can say!!
DPA4060
R09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com