Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Just picked up a Sony HXR-NX30  (Read 5838 times)

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Just picked up a Sony HXR-NX30
« on: March 12, 2013, 08:36:55 PM »
I hope I like it.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-HXRNX30U/

I needed an upgrade to my Sony HVR-Z1. I'm not sure this is really an actual "upgrade". Moving to AVCHD from HDV is nice though. The camera loses some features and gains some new ones. Certainly small and light. Too much to some degree.

I hope to try it out at Z3 in Hartford on Thursday. Then I'm shooting a foot race on Saturday.

Anyone ever use on of these?
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Just picked up a Sony HXR-NX30
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:45:38 PM »
im sure that gets some great footage....i know my little cx 550v does.Ar youiu getting rid of the Z1 ?

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 10:00:19 PM »
It's possible but I'm not in a rush to dump the Z1. I have LOADS of tapes. Plus I do a fair amount of multicamera stuff. So the Z1 will still get some use. In fact until I really run this new one through the paces a bit I'm not sure it's my "main camera". I'd hate to drop $2k on a camera that is not an upgrade of course. I'm very tired of a tape based camera though. This puppy has 96GB of internal memory and takes SD Cards. I bought the biggest battery and should be able to shoot at least ten hours without a charge. Which is fantastic. I'm sure I will mostly use 1080 30p but it can do a bunch of formats. 60p might be handy for some stuff. I'm filming a foot race with 6-7 thousand people in it this weekend. I may run 60p for that. I picked up an Opteka shoulder mount and counter weight. I think it makes this new rig 5x heavier. The camera is like a pound. The shoulder rig is like 5+lb.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 11:46:41 PM »
you could have saved a bunch of money and gotten a Cx550 or something similar unless you NEED the internal memory and audio inputs
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 02:33:50 PM »
Arranged my return today. I used the camera 4 or 5 times in different settings and overall I was unhappy with it. There are definite pros but the cons were too much. The worst was that I would often catch the "BOSS" freaking out. I would be steady as can be and the floating element would quickly vibrate for no reason. It may have been a defect in my specific camera. Maybe it could be fixed with firmware but regardless it was a major turn off. I was also unable to come to terms with the idea that only one function could be set manually at a time. Set a good exposure and focus could easily go wonky. Conversely set a good focus and the exposure would generally be less than idea. So I am now figuring out how to proceed. I've been eying the Blackmagic Cinema Camera since it was announced. Now with the small version coming this summer I may be leaning in that direction.

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 11:24:24 AM »
I guess it depends on what you shoot most of the time.If run and gun than i would not buy the Black magic cinema cameras.
What is about the Z1 you don't like?If just because of shooting to tape you can easily solve that buy buying the Sony mrc1k unit which attaches to firewire port and records to CF cards.Much cheaper than buying a whole camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/580065-REG/Sony_HVR_MRC1K_HVR_MRC1_Memory_Recording_Unit.html

Or i would think this would be the logical next choice from the Z1 having the same operational features.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671535-REG/Sony_HDRAX2000_H_HDR_AX2000_AVCHD_Camcorder.html

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 11:31:17 AM by beatkilla »

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »
I do still like my Z1 but yeah the tape, tape changing, and real time dumping has been getting to me. It's also interlaced HDV. The AX2000 is nice and would be a great upgrade. That said it is at least three years old and costs $1500 more than the NX30 I rolled the dice on. That BOSS system in the NX30 was very appealing but seems to have flaws. Unless it was specific to the one that made it to me.

• Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 05:18:51 AM »
XA10 > AX2000

Canon G20 or Panasonic X920 will save you a bunch of dough if you dont NEED XLR inputs and the other audio functions

of course you look cooler shooting with a Ax2000 or Z1 so maybe that is a factor your taking into consideration

regarding the MRC1 that is old news and very expensive, you are better off getting a good camera and black magic hyperdeck shuttle to record prores 4:2:2 if you really wanna record awesome video

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 09:37:03 AM »
To each there own but i still say adding the MRC1K is the best option and cheapest i use 2 of them myself with my 2 Sony FX1000.The Z1 uses 3CCDs and not CMOS so there are no rolling shutter problems with that camera in fact id be happy to buy your Z1 if you really dont want it anymore.

Offline cleantone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 09:46:23 AM »
It would be nice if the MRC1K was a little cheaper. I wouldn't hesitate. I'm definitely wanting something more current. While I am often surprised at how well my Z1 (gen1 hdv) holds up I think it's time for a new A camera. I have so many HDV tapes I can't see myself wanting to unload the Z1. Not to mention it would still get a lot of usage. I may end up getting a MRC1K sometime. I should save an ebay search.

That Panasonic X920 has some nice features. Looking at a few videos online it's got a decent look. Thanks for the tip.

• Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 03:14:55 PM »
It would be nice if the MRC1K was a little cheaper. I wouldn't hesitate. I'm definitely wanting something more current. While I am often surprised at how well my Z1 (gen1 hdv) holds up I think it's time for a new A camera. I have so many HDV tapes I can't see myself wanting to unload the Z1. Not to mention it would still get a lot of usage. I may end up getting a MRC1K sometime. I should save an ebay search.

That Panasonic X920 has some nice features. Looking at a few videos online it's got a decent look. Thanks for the tip.

sell the Z1 while its still worth something,  pick up a used Canon HV20/30/40 on ebay, it will play your HDV tapes just fine.  I have 2 huge bins full of HDV tapes.  i sold my sony z1u a long time ago when i went to tapeless cameras.

Offline shownomarcy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Hungarian Metallica fanclub!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 03:53:40 AM »
Would be nice to see some videos of Sony HXR-NX30!
I wonder if it has 2/4 gb file limit, like little hd cameras, or it hasnt?
AT853uw mics / ca-14 (omni/card)+ ca-9200 preamp
Edirol R-09HR / Tascam DR-2d
Canon Legria HF S20

Have you taped any Hungarian band? Please contact me! :)
http://www.youtube.com/shownomarcy
https://soundcloud.com/m-rton-sebesty-n-shownomarcy
http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=397210
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=120801

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 10:20:41 PM »
There is no limit on actual video cameras as there are on point and shoot cameras.& i have  shot a 4 hour dance ceremony on my Sony cx550v with no stops and that camera pulls some Great footage.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com