Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony MV1 - Any Thoughts  (Read 2922 times)

Offline techgui

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sony MV1 - Any Thoughts
« on: January 20, 2014, 08:39:47 AM »
I'm thinking of picking one of these up.  Usually I have to get clips of my daughter in musicals, and things like that, where recording and filming are not allowed.  This looks like the perfect tool.  Seems like it was built for very good recording quality and has full HD video with a 120 degree field of view.  Very easy to conceal.  I don't need to record the whole show, just her clips.  Another nice feature is it can be wifi controlled by my phone or tablet.  Has anyone here had a personal experience with this camcorder. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1002002-REG/sony_hdr_mv1_music_camcorder.html

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Sony MV1 - Any Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 04:52:07 PM »
I am too searching for some shared thoughts about this little device.

I've been watching some clips on youtube and, while convinced it might come very handy, on the other side the overall quality doesn't seem that good to me.

Surprisingly Mv1 doesn't feature 24 bit recording, but only 16 bit pcm like in very old devices.  We also don't know how anything the external audio input.  Sony's D10 or Edirol R09 HR audio recorder had a decent line input, capable of handling the signal coming out from an external preamp; don't know if MV1 shares the same circuit with D-10. The last had 24 bit anyway.

I really don't understand why new videorecorders equipped with decent audio come out so slowly now that videos are getting more and more popular.   If you want to shoot a good clip you still need a decent camera, record audio separately and then merge the whole thing.

Handheld audio recorders came out in the past years to allow people to pull out nice recordings at an affordable prize; one could improve quality with an external mic and a preamp and even have xlr inputs.

I would pay 500 bucks for a videorecorder with an audio section like marantz 661 capable of shooting decent videos....but there's none on the market by now.

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:31:51 PM »
Perhaps the issue is that on-camera mics are in the wrong spot for decent audio.

I wouldn't say it's quite at the quality level of the 661 because I haven't tried that recorder but when I compared my Panasonic Lumix GH3 to my Zoom H6 the audio section of the GH3 held up very nicely. http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2014/01/23/lumix-gh3-audio-vs-zoom-h6/

Of course this was done by using the H6 as a powered mic. Mic location is the key!

At the $500 price point it's my understanding that the Lumix G6 has audio quality and control that matches the GH3.

Fran

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 06:23:46 PM »
This might be true...but in the audio field a lot of tapers used to pick up a handheld recorder  and couple it with a very nice preamp and external mics with close-to-pro results. If we had such devices in video field  this would  mean having a nice clip  with adequate to top sound quality without having to merge audio and video in post.

I understand that a good camera may pull an audio quality which is not too bad, but the question is: is impossible to have real good video and real good audio in a same device?
Let's say...a  Lumix which could easily accept a couple of Shoeps or DPA's or a Sony D50 with a comparable quality video?

The answer seems to be: no, by now. I don't know why.

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 01:18:02 AM »
Funny you should mention that, my Schoeps CMBI set is a perfect match to the GH3 audio subsystem.

Fran

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 03:25:30 PM »
Of course your Lumix + shoeps setup is probably top notch!

I mentioned Shoeps just to say "external mics".

I am a newbie in photo field.... with my Edirol r9 hr sometimes I recorded some rehearsals or concerts of mine just placing it somewhere and pressing REC. Some other time - when I had  a bit more time - I took with me my Naiant Littlebox and  entered line-in with some mics borrowed from a friend, or with my naiant xx's omnis or something else. Recorded 24 bits just to let me set a conservative audio level.

All this in order to pull a not too bad recording for my personal archive or for promotional purpose. The biggest post-production job i've done has been loading the big file in Audacity and divide into tracks. More than this I hav no time or knowlegde to do.

I'd simply like if I had the possibility of doing this as easy as it can be, with the result of getting a video instead of audio.

I'm afraid that a camera like Lumix g6 or others needs a certain learning curve and care in use, and probably doesn't have line input and an audio comparable in quality to Sony d50 or so.

Let's wait to see if something else comes out!

thanks a lot for your answer, very kind as usual!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com