Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mini-Me Gain  (Read 9245 times)

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Mini-Me Gain
« on: April 07, 2003, 01:14:16 PM »
Just wondering how much gain (knob location) most are seeing when running mic in?

SC

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re:Mini-Me Gain
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2003, 01:21:14 PM »
all the times I ran it I was at about the 1/2 way point.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2003, 01:56:02 PM »
I usually end up running mine between 10:00 and 12:00.  Depends on the act and venue of course.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

DaryanLenz

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2003, 06:58:09 PM »
Yes, absolutely, between 10 and 12/  Also, just an FYI, the soft-limit is really nice, and sounds pretty darn good.

Daryan

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 08:20:24 AM »
Forgive the question. But what exactly does the soft limit do? I ask as at some point here I'll be running the mme Scott and I just bought. In what situations would you run the soft limit. Again, probably self explanatory, but sometimes I'm not so quick especially with new gear.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 09:47:42 AM »
Rob,
   We probably won't evr use it. It would be good when the crowd noise will be at a higher level than the actual music (acoustic shows, uamplified, etc..)  The soft limit is basically a limiter, but as the levels approach 0dB they are rolled as to not be such a noticable change.  The closer you get the more compressed it gets.  This means you can run levels based on the actual music and not loudest passage be it crowd or music.  I don't see us using it much....
SC

Offline Marc Nutter

• Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2003, 11:39:58 AM »
Hi scervin, dattaper_2000, and all,

Gain position, as already indicated, will probably be in the 10-12 O'clock position assuming typical rock concert volume (around 100dB at FOH) and the MiniMe sensitivity on low (as determined by the internal jumpers).

Soft Limit is a form of compression (as limiters are).  There are four parameters that comprise a compression circuit: attack, release, ratio, and threshold.

Attack: how fast the compression circuit kicks in after the threshold has been exceeded.

Release: how quickly the compression circuit lets go after the level drops below the threshold.

Ratio: The amount of gain achievable per dB of increase (ex: 2:1 means that for each additional 2dB of level increase from the source, the levels only go up 1 dB when leaving the compressor/limiter).  See the “OFF” line below as it illustrates a 1:1 ratio (ie. No compression—1dB in equals 1dB out).  The X-axis shows an increase in incoming level and the Y-axis is the output of the compressor/limiter.  Note how the curves of each of the compressor settings change at a certain point and their compression kicks in well below where “Soft Limit” does.   Take curve 3 as an example: From –30dBu to –10dBu, we see an output level that only changes from –14dBfs to –4dBfs.  This is a nearly perfect example of a 2:1 ratio. Then we see the transition zone (in this case between –10dB to –5dB ), known as the knee,  up to the –5dBfs to +15dBfs (a 20dB range) region above which we only see a 2dB increase in output level (a 10:1) ratio. This is an example of fairly heavy compression (with 2 and 3 being ever more drastic) assuming we are exceeding the –5dBu input levels on a regular basis.  Notice how “Soft Limit” only kicks in around –3dBfs, thereby only acting on the hottest of levels.  

Threshold: the level at which the compressor (or limiter) kicks in.  Below the threshold, no compression or limiting is technically taking place, but some compressors are still noticeable sonically.

Picture below Taken from Apogee manual:

Compressors are frequently used in studio recording applications on snare and kick drums, as well as vocals, and other very dynamic instruments in order to achieve good recording levels without clipping. The Soft Limit or other limiters are more common in the mastering stage in order to get all levels relatively high without clipping.   I bet Tim or Bri could expand on this.

In concert recording or mastering, the result is a hotter/louder recording overall. The hottest levels are held down enough to prevent clipping and the lower levels can be brought up.  This limits dynamic range but gives more “punch” or a more “in your face” quality.   I used soft limit on several hundred recording but later (especially once I started recording at 24-bit) gave it up in preference of the greater dynamic range (the difference between the hottest and the lowest levels of the recording).

The Apogee Mini Me manual on page 20 and 21 contains further explanation and application tips.
http://www.apogeedigital.com/pdf/minimeman.pdf

I hope this is helpful.

Happy Recording,

Marc

« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 11:41:19 AM by Marc Nutter »

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2003, 12:13:35 PM »
I see! I kinda figured thats what it was all about. Just thought I'd ask
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2003, 12:50:51 PM »
Rob,

If you want to listen to what the SL does, check out the Jorma show that I gave Scott.  I used SL for it and it worked wonderfully on the crowd noise.  I did have the levels a bit down for the music, but you can turn up your stereo for that.  Best concert I have seen this year so far!
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline danmorgan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2003, 01:15:42 AM »
Running mic-in set to low gain.  Mine usually sets between 10-12 o'clock as well.  The soft limit works quite well for acoustic.  I ran at YMSB around 1 o'clock(just a c_nt hair shy) with the soft limit on and found it to do great in this setting.  

I have not, and don't plan on using the curve settings at all.  I played with them at home here and disliked them tremendously

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2003, 02:44:38 AM »
+T dan...... ;D

bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2003, 05:11:53 AM »
I sure could have used one of those soft limit mfers recording 3rd row at Keller Williams the other day. Music at -12, crowd at -2-0! Fuckers!

DaryanLenz

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2003, 02:05:19 PM »
Well Armen, sounds like you need a jukebox and a mini-me ;)  Marc, great post and very informative...although if I ever took thew time to read the mini-me manual again I think I could have figured it out...but hell, I am lazy, and real men don't read manuals right ;)

The "D"

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2003, 03:15:51 PM »
oh no another graph, I cant read those dern things  :'(
 i read the interpretation and it makes sense but look at thegraph and makes that sense WOW advanced taping I'd say, no if someone can just friggin tell me if a neumann u89 will fit in the same shockmount as a ADK TL I'll be getting somewhere.

Thanks
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Jason B

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2003, 01:23:09 PM »
I don't see why it wouldn't Trey.

Tim

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2003, 01:33:58 PM »
it does... it fits best in the ADK LE's? Whatever the non-switchable LD mic that ADK makes. and they're about 1/8 of the price... and 3/4 the size.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com