Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Basic Battery Question  (Read 2794 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Basic Battery Question
« on: June 25, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »
Just wanna make sure...is it a good assumption that if, say I get 5 hours run-time from a single RC battery, if have a pigtail to connect three of them in parallel that they'd give me 15 hours of run-time?

Let's assume all three batteries are same...voltage, capacity, age, re-charge status, etc.

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Basic Battery Question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 09:12:53 PM »
Yes, assuming none of the cells are defective.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 07:05:52 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 01:42:41 AM »
I'm not so sure about simply tripling the run time, although I suspect the difference would work out in your favor (i.e., more than triple the run time).  Of course it's been too long since my last physics course, so take this with a grain of salt, but...

If you are running multiple batteries in parallel, the current draw off of each one should be lower than if it was the only one in use, right?

And the amount of work (~ mah assuming constant voltage) you can suck out of a battery is a function of how fast you discharge it -- in general the higher the current draw, the fewer mah you can squeeze out before the voltage drops too low.  e.g. http://www.powerstream.com/AA-tests.htm

I could be off base here, but I think I'm right since for instance in this post mshilarious seems to be saying that 2x9V in a Littlebox will last 7 hours in a particular high draw scenario whereas 1x9V will only last 2.5 hrs.  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=145541.msg1872633#msg1872633

Of course for NiMH batteries the performance hit of high current draws is less, so it might not be a big difference in your application. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:49:44 AM by Will_S »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com