Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: wavelab hiccups on playback - wtf?  (Read 11016 times)

rabhan

• Trade Count: (0)
wavelab hiccups on playback - wtf?
« on: July 23, 2003, 05:00:25 PM »
okay, got another set of questions for the wavelab veterans.....

i just went d8>wavelab to test it while on battery and bc i needed to do a transfer....

the file is 16/48.....what is the procedure for changing to 16/44? also, if it was 24/48, what would be the correct steps to get it to 16/44?

now here to the issue i am having.....
when i playback the file in wavelab, i get hiccups, like a weird hesitation in the app...whereas if i rewind a little bit and play the selection again, it is error-free, so i know the wav is clean. if i open the same wav in soundforge 4.0, it never hesitates at all. it plays thru with no issues. so, the question is, is there a buffer i should pick for playback or are my playback settings wrong and need to be adjusted?
(right now, they are set at buffer number 6, size = 16384)

thanks again!

-laptop newbie rabhan

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Re:wavelab hiccups on playback - wtf?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 05:02:33 PM »
I have the same problem w/ my new DiO 2496.  First second or so of playback sounds skippy, poppy but then it clears up.

-Kevin

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 05:09:50 PM »
the hiccup you refer to could easily be caused by your computer and not wavelab itself..  Are you running any other apps while doing the transfer?  Your computer should be set to be optimised for background processes, and you should do nothing else on the cpu while it is transferring/recording.  

Correct process for going from 24/xx to 16/44.1 :
1:Do any editing such as fades, etc..
2:Convert sample rate
3:Dither
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

rabhan

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 05:10:14 PM »
this is actually random, it happens anywhere in the wav, and this is using the system sound for both apps just to clarify.

rabhan

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 05:12:17 PM »
the hiccup you refer to could easily be caused by your computer and not wavelab itself..  Are you running any other apps while doing the transfer?  Your computer should be set to be optimised for background processes, and you should do nothing else on the cpu while it is transferring/recording.  

okay, to clarify....
the problem is NOT with recording/transfering. the problem is on playback. it happens in wavelab, it does NOT happen in soundforge.

rabhan

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 05:13:14 PM »
system is set for background, i am not running any other apps, again, it only happens with wavelab.

rabhan

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2003, 05:15:32 PM »

Correct process for going from 24/xx to 16/44.1 :
1:Do any editing such as fades, etc..
2:Convert sample rate
3:Dither

so, select "Resample" then "save as" a new file? should it take about 5-7ms to resample and another 5-7mins to resave? thats what happens on this 1.13g 640mg ram machine......

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2003, 05:18:03 PM »
Yup, sounds about right. You can make it happen a little faster by right clicking the task & giving it a higher priority (I think Wavelab calls it Fast)

The resample, dither was covered in Ask the Tapers about 6 weeks ago.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

rabhan

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2003, 05:24:40 PM »
well, yeah, i know it has been discussed before, but i thought it couldnt hurt asking while trying to figure out the playback snafu  :-\

rabhan

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2003, 05:49:17 PM »
okay, no hiccups in winamp either, now trying media player

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 05:54:00 PM »
system is set for background, i am not running any other apps, again, it only happens with wavelab.

could it have something to do with this background setting?  I don't really know what it means but i've seen laptop guys refer to it a lot.

-damon

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2003, 06:04:28 PM »
to resample you can go to process > convert sample rate - pick the radio button, then click ok...it takes just a few minutes.  to convert bit rate, i have the dither window open all the time under the level meter, i chose the uv22 hr setting (apogee algorithm), choose the bit rate i want in the pop up window, close that out, then click dither and choose create new file.  i use the source name to name it and put it in a temp directory.  when it's done i close out of the file (already saved), then close the original file, and DON'T save it, because i want to keep the 24/48 file for archival.  i track the 16/44.1 file in cd wave, save the cue sheet, save the tracks, then load the 24/48 file into cd wave, load the cue sheet, tell it not to open the associated file, and BAM i have track marks.  save it and flac it and sell it to the butcher in the store-o.  ;D

if anyone sees any flaws in my methods, please please please point them out so i may feel like a jackass.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

rabhan

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2003, 06:15:01 PM »
i can record in wavlab and edit in wavlab. however, i cannot playback wavs in wavelab without ramdom hiccups, these hiccups dont show up when i play the same file in winamp, soundforge, or media player, it must be a wavelab setting or something. i am not too terribly concerned bc wavelab doesnt seem to be inserting flaws, it just has issues with playback whereas the other apps dont  :-\
« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 06:15:28 PM by rabhan »

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2003, 06:16:51 PM »
jon--so they are not showing up graphically in winamp?  could be a soundcard playback issue...it's your new lappy right?  try connecting headphones to the laptop headphone jack and using the standard sound device to play back and see if that eliminates the conflict.

rabhan

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2003, 07:58:25 PM »
damon, thats what i am doing, playing the wavs back thru the systemboard's onboard sound thru the headphone jack. there are no graphic errors. the wavs play fine in winamp, media player, and soundforge. wavelab just gets random hiccups only on playback. if i rewind over the spot again, they are gone, it is just something with wavlabs playback buffer or something.

am i making any sense here? or is my explanation of the problem not clear? maybe i can restate it a different way? :(

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com