Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: speakers sub 1k  (Read 7717 times)

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
speakers sub 1k
« on: November 27, 2013, 12:27:18 PM »
Hey Everyone-

I'm trying to help my brother buy a pair of speakers for his new house and wanted to get some advice from everyone.  He is looking to spend less than 1k on a pair of speakers that will be used primarily to listen to records and other digital music sources.  He's open to bookshelfs and a sub, but I am trying to steer him more towards a full range, tower-type speaker.  He sent me a link to Fluance's website and I suppose they sell a tower speaker with 4 x 5" drivers that he is looking at for $450/pair.  For a non-audophile just looking to get good sound from a passive speaker what would you guys recommend?  I recommended he go to like a Tweeter type store and do some comparisons, but apparently they're not in business anymore.  I told him to look at Athena's, but apparently they went out of business as well..

What would you all recommend for less than 1k?

Thanks for your opinion,
Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re: speakers sub 1k
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 03:02:20 PM »
used on audiogon would be best bang for your buck

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 05:14:53 PM »
How does 193.79 sound... not sure that includes shipping.

I have seen good reviews on the following...

The Dayton Audio B652 - 34.80$:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-652

The Dayton Audio Sub-1200 12" powered Sub - 109.00:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629

And that should leave you enough for a pair of 31" Sanus Stands BF31B - 49.99$:
http://www.parts-express.com/sanus-bf31b-foundations-31-speaker-stand-pair--240-767

Understand the Bookshelf speakers are not magnetically shielded.  This system won't break the bank and should be very enjoyable for a non-audiophile and audiophile alike.
If he gets this system please report back how he likes it.....I love a story with a happy ending :P

Peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 08:52:17 PM »
Agree on the Audiogon - best route out there - I had a $1k budget myself and got a pair of killer Soliloquy 6.3's local at this price - best bag for your buck for sure
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 09:46:24 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. 

Thanks!  ;D
Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 03:20:12 PM »
Audiogon if used is cool and he or you recognize what you find there.

If looking for a less research intensive new speakers option, a good "bang for the buck" manufacturer of speakers that measure and perform very well is PSB.  They have both floor-standers and bookshelves in that price range.  I'm considering their outdoor speakers.

Edit-
I doubt your brother is interested in anything this large, but a pair of Cerwin Vega CLS-215 (or whatever the current version of that speaker is called) is one of the best price/performance deals for new, true full range, very high clean output capability speakers with good sound quality.  A pair can be had for around $1k if you shop it.  Some will laugh at the CW heritage but I've heard those things do justice to full-scale symphonic classical music as well as full range live music recordings at near-live levels.  In hot rod terms, it's a serious 'sleeper' speaker for this crowd.  Belive it or not.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 04:04:48 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »
Have you heard them yourself?  I keep hearing them in recs, but have not heard them myself.   
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 04:04:07 PM »
PSBs? No I haven't but I'd like to.  Friends who's ears I trust have and have spoken highly of them.  Measurements done by the third-party Canadian National Research Council convince me that they are at the very least based upon good, non-snake-oil audio engineering practices and worth a look.  I trust both of those things more than reviewers, but there are a couple write-ups I've seen from reputable sources which have reinforced my take that they are probably one of the better price/performance options around currently.

Edited my post above to mention a unsuspecting sleeper speaker I have heard, but which few will find managable due to their shear size.

But again, if someone knows what they are looking for, great deals can be found on Craig's list or Audiogon for speakers.  I picked up a second pair of mid 90's era B&W802matrix3's for $1100 including shipping off the 'gon a few years ago.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 04:06:10 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 04:05:37 PM »
good info, thanks.  I love B&W's! 
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 04:12:03 PM »
If you or anyone here ever come across a single cherry-veneered 802M3 please let me know.  I picked up the second pair primiarily to have 3 matching across the front.  If I found one more I'd have 5 matching all around.  As it is the 4th is in the center in back, not doing that much. 

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »
I understand that you are looking for tower or floorstanding speakers, but bookshelf speakers will really give you the best sound in the under $1000 category. I agree with the other posters who are encouraging you to go the Audiogon route. I picked up a pair of Silverline Minuet a couple years ago in like new condition for $330 (retail is something like $700) and I absolutely love them. I pair them with a Qinpu A-6000 Mk II amplifier that I bought on Amazon.com for $250, a Pure i-20 iPod dock, and some Morrow Audio cables for an awesome bedroom system that cost in total well under $1000.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 12:51:50 AM »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 05:48:44 PM »
http://www.eminent-tech.com/main.html

Lft-16

So ugly only tapers and audiofools could live with it!
Have you heard them Noah? I respect Bruce Thigpen's engineering creds and am curious.

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 12:04:28 PM »
Also try audioasylum. There is a pair of Maggie 1.6 with upgraded custom co for 550 and right now there are some vanderstien 2ce for around 500 over at audiogon

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 06:18:19 AM »
http://www.eminent-tech.com/main.html

Lft-16

So ugly only tapers and audiofools could live with it!
Have you heard them Noah? I respect Bruce Thigpen's engineering creds and am curious.

I own them!

I found a pair used on audiogon for about $650. For that price, I don't think they can be beat.

They basically sound like big planar speakers in a more normal size. They image very well.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com