Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: playback-pr0n  (Read 57498 times)

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: playback-pr0n
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2005, 01:28:06 PM »
MMMN love those FST midranges.  They look like yummy little waffle cones.   ;D

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2005, 01:31:22 PM »
MMMN love those FST midranges.  They look like yummy little waffle cones.   ;D

they look even better on the 802's when fully enclosed in that polycarbonite stuff that they used to freeze Han Solo in Empire Strikes Back.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2005, 01:48:29 PM »
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2005, 03:41:59 PM »
http://www.foambymail.com  My room is literally covered in 4 inch pyramid with bass traps in all the corners.  I also have some high end panels as well.

That's funny, foambymail.com (Foam factory is 5 min from where I sit at this very moment).  Curious which bass traps you are using.  Again foam does very little for absorbtion.  You could have probably used 1/2 as much duct liner and I wouldn't think you want a room full of diffusors????

What in the world is duct liner at curiosity?  Like air conditioning ducts?  I use bastraps from realtraps.com, the foam ones work pretty well if done right, but I was looking for somehting a little better looking. 

Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2005, 05:20:41 PM »
Yes, it lines duct in office space to keep down the noise. It is basically a much more dense version of pink insulation and very effective at treating rooms.  Search the home theater builder forum at avsforum.com and look for linacoustic.  Those bass traps are nice!  Time to go play!!

sc

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2005, 11:09:52 AM »
Time to check out the site.  Thanks!
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2005, 12:21:32 PM »
For tube traps, consider http://www.knauffiberglass.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=prd.dspProdDetail&ID=1

You can get the tubes in diameters up to 24".  To make a tube bass trap, use liquid nails to completely seal the seams and afix MDF endcaps.  Then cover with batting (to contain glass fibers, you really need to do this) and fabric.  The tubes come in 3ft sections so you can stack pairs as needed to reach the ceiling.   

For half rounds, split the tube along the seam and liquid nail rigid glass panel to make the back.  Cap and finish as with the tube.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2005, 01:54:00 PM »
Or if you have the room stack some pink panther in the room corners!  I tried the above, but didn't pass WAF.

sc

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2005, 02:05:42 PM »
Or if you have the room stack some pink panther in the room corners!  I tried the above, but didn't pass WAF.

sc

Even with nice fabric?

I have the same issue. 

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2005, 02:33:25 PM »
She said she could deal with one garbage can (SVS PC22-31) in the room but not 2-4 more!

BTW, I've notice quite the jump to tubes as well.  They sound good, but I'll be sticking to SS. 

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2005, 04:43:33 PM »
My wife completely nixed room treatments, even fabric covered.  As in "Pack your things, we're divorced"

Hehe since she puts up with stupid money hifi (and other) purchases, I'm ok with that  ;D

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2005, 07:44:56 PM »
There was great skepticism and posturing when I announced my intention to make the panels.  So I spent extra on the fabric and her response to the panels was "they look better than I thought they would".  So that means I have full reign of the main room and I can build 9ft tall tube traps, no? ;-)

BobW

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2005, 02:16:44 AM »
If you don't playback so loud, room treatments aren't as important.......

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2005, 07:43:01 AM »
no, the issues just aren't as apparent   ;D

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2005, 09:09:41 AM »
If you don't playback so loud, room treatments aren't as important.......

Agreed Scott, you just can't hear the flaws as well, but they surely do exist.  I truly believe that besides upgrading speakers, room treatments are a close second when it comes to changing the sound of your system.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com