Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Differences in Cables?  (Read 11621 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Differences in Cables?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2009, 10:01:31 AM »
agreed.
I use the nickle ones.  no coating, nothing to "rub off".  all the pro industry swears by it vs. the gold pins.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2009, 11:39:09 AM »

For truly harsh environments, I'd be looking at something like the Neutrik HD series--but I'd also think about swapping for silver contacts.

I use (and used) the silver contacts.  The both the gold and the silver use a gold/silver plating (over nickel I think), but the silver plating is 10x thicker than the gold plating.  With a lot of insertions like we have, I found the gold plating to get worn off pretty quick, leaving just the nickel.

As to the cost of the custom cables, everyone needs to decide for themselves whether the cables are worth it.  And on the flip side, the cable makers need to decide for themselves what price they want to charge.  To me, it seems really hard to compare to some large cable-making facility.  As a small custom cable maker, you probably won't have all the equipment for making cables quicker.  High-end soldering stations, the appropriate cable strippers, crimpers, whatever.  So either you spend the money and get all this stuff, or you make the cables much more slowly without these conveniences.  You also may not be able to either stock large amounts of raw cable and parts or buy in bulk.  Compared to how many cables you actually sell, you may spend much more time per cable on product/mfg development, inventory and ordering, marketing and customer interaction (esp since the cables are custom), etc.  All of this means more cost into the cables for both parts and time for construction.  On top of that, custom cable makers may have other jobs and obligations. 

Like I said, I'm not doing cables now, but I'm a professional with several college degrees and expect to (and do) make a certain rate for my labor.  This rate is quite a bit more than an hourly laborer making minimum wage, let alone what an uneducated solderer might make in a Mexican border town.

Bottom line, I really don't think anyone should act like the cable makers on this board are either snake oil salesmen or ripoff artists.  My guess is they are doing it since they themselves like to have cables like this and want to make it possible for others to use this type of custom cable as well, at what they think is a reasonable pay back for their efforts.  No problem at all if you don't want to buy them, but its not like these folks are some Phish ticket scalpling scumbags.

Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2009, 02:08:55 PM »
  To me, it seems really hard to compare to some large cable-making facility.  As a small custom cable maker, you probably won't have all the equipment for making cables quicker.  High-end soldering stations, the appropriate cable strippers, crimpers, whatever.  So either you spend the money and get all this stuff, or you make the cables much more slowly without these conveniences.  You also may not be able to either stock large amounts of raw cable and parts or buy in bulk.  Compared to how many cables you actually sell, you may spend much more time per cable on product/mfg development, inventory and ordering, marketing and customer interaction (esp since the cables are custom), etc.  All of this means more cost into the cables for both parts and time for construction.  On top of that, custom cable makers may have other jobs and obligations. 
I agree with this.
Especially on stock and whatnot.

However no one even insinuated this:
Bottom line, I really don't think anyone should act like the cable makers on this board are either snake oil salesmen or ripoff artists.  My guess is they are doing it since they themselves like to have cables like this and want to make it possible for others to use this type of custom cable as well, at what they think is a reasonable pay back for their efforts.  No problem at all if you don't want to buy them, but its not like these folks are some Phish ticket scalpling scumbags.
???

No has even mentioned cable makers on this board.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 02:29:39 PM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2009, 11:23:34 AM »
This guy makes the best home brew cables on TS.

Awesome! Where can I get some Monkey Cables? They'd really fit in with my whole monkey theme.
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.17 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com