Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #3  (Read 104902 times)

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #3
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 01:33:14 PM »
Had my first snafu last night with th DR680.  I was running my V3 Digital in with a stereo pair and analoag into 1&2 and 3&4 with two other stereo pairs.  I made sure that the "DIN MON" was set on the the "Function Screen".  Everything looked good with levels etc.  When I went to play back the files this morning I only had files for st12.wav & st34.wav, no st.wav file  :(  So basicly there was no file created for the V3 digital source.

Wouldn't you set it to DIN Stereo? I thought the DIN MON would be the RCA inputs.

The DIN MON is the setting used on the function button right above the rec trim button on the front of the unit.  The DIN stereo is the setting you use in the recording screen when using the menu botton on the top of the unit, which was was set properly.

ahh, OK. I may be confusing two different functions. I was thinking of the I/O function on the menu screen and choosing either the analog or digi in option. I believe this directs the signal to the RCA or the SPDIF inputs or outputs.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 08:56:46 PM »
Being outa town not near my gear, but, I seem to remember something funky about playback.  I think I had to go into the menu and open the file or something like that.  I was trying to do playback and listen with headphones.  I can't recall what I did, but I had the same experience...I thought that the digi track was gone when I just hit play on the recorder.  Hope that helps.

Chimney Top

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »
Ive only read the first and third threads here, but I asked Doug at Oade about this model and he said it is basically the Tascam DR100 x 4.

That answered alot of my questions...

kirk97132

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 02:38:34 PM »
So using the usbpre2 to send a digital signal to a second 680 while having it synced to the spdif output of the first deck gave a perfect sync between the two units AND allowed the use of all 8 tracks on both units.  I used a Bm2p+ for the first decks spdif input.   I am still really bummed that you cannot sync the clocks using the cascade function and I would swear that the deck was originally advertised that way.  Anyone using 32GB cards in it yet? 

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 02:50:23 PM »
So using the usbpre2 to send a digital signal to a second 680 while having it synced to the spdif output of the first deck gave a perfect sync between the two units AND allowed the use of all 8 tracks on both units.  I used a Bm2p+ for the first decks spdif input.   I am still really bummed that you cannot sync the clocks using the cascade function and I would swear that the deck was originally advertised that way.  Anyone using 32GB cards in it yet?

I forgot to post back when you had first mentioned it, but that is a very cool way of getting 16ch out of two 680's!  Good to hear it works, too.

I'm using a 32gb card in my 680, been working fine.  I had a supposedly 6x 16gb card (A-Data?) when I first got the 680, and it just wasn't working reliably (either had to be 4ch @24 or if 6+ channels needed to keep to 16bit).  I got a 32gb card to replace that, almost positive it is a Kingston card.  I'll have to check on the speed rating.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

kirk97132

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 02:54:58 PM »
Are you running your deck at 48 or 96?  Wondering if it makes a difference

Offline Todd R

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 03:36:43 PM »
Are you running your deck at 48 or 96?  Wondering if it makes a difference

Good point, I'm sure it makes a difference as it gets to the data rate needed.  I've been running 24/44 or 24/48, generally for 4 or 6 channels.  I think though including the stereo mix channel the 680 can make, I've run 22/48 at 8ch before.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline Sockan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »
Ive only read the first and third threads here, but I asked Doug at Oade about this model and he said it is basically the Tascam DR100 x 4.

That answered alot of my questions...

Isn't that generalizing a bit too much? Is there anything that is the same (except for the manufacturer)?
Equipment:
Two ears recording to a 16Kb memory between them.

Offline Todd R

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 05:43:21 PM »
Yeah, I was wondering that too.  Really, the two units have completely different functionality and feature sets, so it makes no sense to say that the 680 is 4x a DR-100.

I took it to mean that the preamps and possibly A/D sections of the 680 are pretty much the same as the DR100. Only at the very least that would mean the 680 is 3x the DR100 not 4x, as the 680 only has 6ch of analog inputs, the other 2ch are digital input only, and the DR100 doesn't have digital inputs.

Even trying to say the preamp/AD are the same on the two units doesn't really make sense either, as the max input for the DR100 is +2dbu on the XLR input and +6dbV on the 1/8" line input, whereas the 680 can take a +24dbu signal.  If the 680 can take that much hotter a signal, something is different about it compared to the DR100.

Offline Sockan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »
The DR-680 has much lower noise also.... -127dBu compared to DR-100 -113dBu. Thats a big difference...
Equipment:
Two ears recording to a 16Kb memory between them.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 09:50:50 PM »
I got the Sys Rom Error tonight and couldn't record.  :(

^that can't be good.

1. Where is the cheapest place to get a new one?
2. Where do I send it to get fixed ???
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

kirk97132

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 01:39:40 PM »

^that can't be good.

Chuck try powering down, swap out cards and try a restart....of course you probably did all that.  That is one of the error codes where all they list is a "turn off then turn on, if it don't work then send it in for service".  Still I'd try another card AND a format on that card too if you can then see what happens.  Good Luck!

Online darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 02:37:08 PM »

^that can't be good.

Chuck try powering down, swap out cards and try a restart....of course you probably did all that.  That is one of the error codes where all they list is a "turn off then turn on, if it don't work then send it in for service".  Still I'd try another card AND a format on that card too if you can then see what happens.  Good Luck!

those are the exact symptoms mine exhibited
as Kirk mentions, try re-powering and swap out cards
as I indicated in my PM... mine was under warranty, so I sent it back to Full Compass   

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 02:48:49 PM »

^that can't be good.

those are the exact symptoms mine exhibited
as Kirk mentions, try re-powering and swap out cards
as I indicated in my PM... mine was under warranty, so I sent it back to Full Compass   

Yeah, I swapped cards and did a system restore and still not working. When it does power up without the error screen I can't get levels when I hit the record button. It's pumping out phantom power to the mics, but no levels. I bought it at Sound Professionals, so my next step is to contact them. Thanks guys, I'll report back when I hear something.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Chadfish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
Is there something that happened to cause this Sys Rom Error? Is there anything to watch out for to avoid this, or is it just a thing that happens sometimes?
Work Examples - http://www.youtube.com/user/Chadfish :: Fun Video - http://www.humboldtmusic.com/chadfish :: Sony EX1(Pair) :: Cubase 5.5 :: MacPro 8 Core :: Senn G3 Wireless
Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3, NT3(Pair), NT4, M-Audio Sputnik, AT4033a(Pair), AT4053b Hyper[/COLOR]

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com