Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: quick question about power cables  (Read 2250 times)

Offline eclark

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
quick question about power cables
« on: November 24, 2006, 02:57:34 PM »
okay so what im trying to do is to build a wire from my 9v dvd battery > UA5. the battery is (+) tip (-) outside and the ua5 is (-) tip (+) outside. so basically i have two power adapters which both heads fit and i have the wires cut. how do i know which wire goes to which tip?

on one wire there is a white stip, is that (-)? and on the other wire there is white writing, is that also (-)?

so if the tips are opposite should i connect the wire with the white strip to the wire on the other cable with nothing on it? would that make it so the heads are opposite?

i hope that makes sense, I really dont want to fry my UA5! any help is appreciated  :)
akg 460b + ck61 (-10db) > MixPre-D > Sony PCM M10

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: quick question about power cables
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 03:53:43 PM »
The only way to know for sure is to hook up the cables to the power source and check the connector's polarity with a voltmeter before plugging into the UA5.  Voltmeter or multimeter will run you ~$10 and is a good tool to have around for testing power, mic and interconnect cables, etc.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline eclark

• Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 04:11:12 PM »
The only way to know for sure is to hook up the cables to the power source and check the connector's polarity with a voltmeter before plugging into the UA5.  Voltmeter or multimeter will run you ~$10 and is a good tool to have around for testing power, mic and interconnect cables, etc.

how will that help though? would i just test to see if its 9v coming out?
ive never used a voltameter before

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 04:18:40 PM »

The voltmeter / multimeter will tell you the polarity of the connector after hooking up the wires.  Touch the black (negative) lead to the center / pin and the red (positive) lead to the outer ring.  If the voltmeter reads +9V, then the outer ring is (+) and the center / pin is (-), which is what you want for the UA5.  If the voltmeter reads -9V, then the center / pin is (+) and the outer ring is (-), opposite of what you want for the UA5. 
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline eclark

• Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 04:22:55 PM »

The voltmeter / multimeter will tell you the polarity of the connector after hooking up the wires.  Touch the black (negative) lead to the center / pin and the red (positive) lead to the outer ring.  If the voltmeter reads +9V, then the outer ring is (+) and the center / pin is (-), which is what you want for the UA5.  If the voltmeter reads -9V, then the center / pin is (+) and the outer ring is (-), opposite of what you want for the UA5. 

thanks man, thats perfect!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com