Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: homebrew li-ion pack  (Read 1931 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
homebrew li-ion pack
« on: June 04, 2007, 01:28:20 PM »
I actually built this over 5 years ago, when there werent any good li-ion solutions on the market. I just got back into taping and bought some new cells for $1 on ebay, so it appears to still be a good deal for homebrewers

http://www.simplefuels.com/tapergeek/liion.htm

scroll down to the bottom for the updated dual-voltage version. I used this with a v3+ad2k for a long time, and stepping the v3 down to 6V made a huge difference, the rig would run for an extra 45min-1 hour. (I think I would get 5 hours out of those units with this). I also used to use another pack with the targus adapter to run my sony u3 laptop for 4+ hrs. this pack would run the ad2k alone for over 7 hours

ebay link to $1 cells ($5-$7 after shipping):

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Toshiba-Satellite-Batteries-PA2492U-PA2494U-D_W0QQitemZ170080505314QQihZ007QQcategoryZ60260QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I just got 4 of these and tested them over the weekend. I had to manually get the pack voltage up over 11V before trhe charger would cxharge them, but they were properly stored at 7V just like a good li-ion should, and appear to have full capacity.

The  pa2493 chargers are a little harder to come by, but they do show up on ebay from time to time

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: homebrew li-ion pack
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 01:36:51 PM »
i forgot to mention one of the key features of this setup is that it is hot-swappable, just replace the packs with a freshie one at a time. I have done this lots of times in festie setings without missing a beat
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com