Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My oldest component that I have own since 1977  (Read 5127 times)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
My oldest component that I have own since 1977
« on: March 08, 2017, 01:11:16 PM »
I bought this back in 1977-78 and it has been with me ever since. Works wonders for ridding static!

The original Zerostat!!!!!

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Re: My oldest component that I have own since 1977
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 01:25:48 PM »
your old...

:cheers:

I'd be willing to bet somewhere I have a Discwasher...Late 70's-Early 80's vintage...but this is handy...Feel right in love at first sight at Stereo Sound in Greensboro around 1985 a Nakmichi Bx300

Still running as I sent it back to El Segundo in the early 00's for a tune up before Nakamichi went buhbye...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 01:45:40 PM »
My Zerostat is a bit older and white. Great for destatic-ing camera negs, cellophane sticking to your hand, even socks clinging from the dryer. IIRC, when Discwasher starting distributing the Zerostat, they changed the color to red which matched the bottles of Discwasher fluid. Is there a handy home-brew recipe for Discwasher fluid?

mfrench

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 01:57:43 PM »
Audrey

1930 Art-Deco radio/record player cabinet
1952 Presto Recording Corporation 15G2 radio broadcast TT (3 speed)
1952’ish GE RPX and VRII cartridges. Also Pickering V15 cart and styli (3mil and 1mil vintage styli)
1952’ish GE A1-500 radio broadcast tonearm (the RPX and VRII cartridges were designed for this tonearm)
1955 Harman Kardon Prelude 6V6 integrated mono tube amp ->
1952’ish GE A1400 coaxial corner speaker(s)
Assembled components retrofit into cabinet by Moke, apprx 10 years ago

frontal view:

in close:

The 15G2 is mounted to a 1/16” thick solid copper plate, and, a massive theory birch ply plinth that is custom built to fit the console. It takes up the entire space from the top plate of the TT, to the black trim just above the amplifier opening. There is also an onboard coaxial speaker; but, I use the GE A1-400 corner speaker (only the top one is hooked up to the amplifier).

I sort of missed the qualification of "since 1977".  It took me a good five years to gather the components prior to the retrofit. It has been assembled now for at least 10 years, + gathering time.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 02:04:47 PM by Moke »

mfrench

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 02:10:10 PM »
gettng back to the theme of 1977..... I still use it to clean the stylus and headshell.
I bought one of these back then as my dusting brush, the StaticMaster 500. It is a soft natural hair dusting and destat brush.
It came complete with a Caution warning:
Radiation from Polonium is dangerous if solid material is ingested or inhaled. Do not touch under the grid. Keep away from children. See instructions.
Guarantee until May 1977

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 02:12:27 PM by Moke »

ilduclo

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 02:19:12 PM »
3 way Nikko speakers

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 02:59:32 PM »
Sansui 9090db, circa 1975...  Sitting in my dad's office until my kids get old enough not to break it (basically when they go to college in 15 years)...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 05:11:44 PM »
Interesting.

But don't tell Sparky you have that!   He's sure to correlate it with an eminent mass extinction event.  All radiation is super deadly forever, right?  Especially old record cleaning brushes originally doped with spy killing poisonous radioisotopes.

gettng back to the theme of 1977..... I still use it to clean the stylus and headshell.
I bought one of these back then as my dusting brush, the StaticMaster 500. It is a soft natural hair dusting and destat brush.
It came complete with a Caution warning:
Radiation from Polonium is dangerous if solid material is ingested or inhaled. Do not touch under the grid. Keep away from children. See instructions.
Guarantee until May 1977

Here's the real deal-
Polonium is quite active radiologically, having a half-life of just 138 days, meaning it's radioactivity drops by half every 4-1/2 months or so.   But you still shouldn't lick the brush.  What little polonium was originally vapor deposited on the base metal under the brush grid decayed long ago into lead.  Regardless I suspect it's still done a fine job a brushing dust away for the last 4 decades since May of '77.  And without a doubt, the StaticMaster 500 would be ideal for dealing with fallout dust accumulating on cold-war era LPs in any underground backyard bunker.

The type of radiation emitted by polonium-210 is high-energy alpha particles which are completely blocked by a few sheets of paper or the top layer of our skin rendering it externally harmless. But deadly tissue damage can occur if sufficient quantities are introduced internally though inhalation, ingestion, or entry through skin abrasions or wounds, in which case it becomes a deadly poison.  The US and all other countries except the USSR stopped producing polonium in the late 1970s.

Some reading this may recall the infamous murder of MI6 agent and former Soviet/Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko in London in 2006 by polonium poisoning.  He is thought to have ingested the polonium orally via a cup of tea, which would have hidden the heat generated by the radioisotope. The perpetrator(s) of his murder would have needed recent access to a reactor capable of producing and irradiating materials, a radiochemical laboratory to convert metallic polonium-210 into liquid, and would have had to smuggle it to London prior to its decay.  Buying pure polonium from legitimate sources would not be feasible since it is sold in such tiny quantities, something like 15,000 orders would have to be placed to obtain sufficient quantities for a lethal poisoning, and the dose of polonium used to kill Litvinenko was exceptionally large. The only place remaining in the world with a polonium production line and the last remaining source of commercial polonium is a closed nuclear facility known as Avangard south-east of Moscow.  Polonium was likely used because it was unlikely to be detected given that it emits alpha rather than more penetrating gamma radiation. Indeed, it was only hours before Litvinenko's death that polonium-210 was discovered as the poison that was killing him. 

Although polonium-210 can clearly be extremely dangerous in certain circumstances, commercial application onto devices which remove static was done in such a way to make it infeasible to separate the polonium for use as a poison, and its use in such applications has since been replaced by non-radioactive technology.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/58088.php
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 03:49:29 PM »
I have always wondered if those zerostats actually work....

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 04:37:13 PM »
So i'm at rocksutcases place this past weekend hanging out before the Trey show. I start telling him about this thread and the note above about changing the color of the zerostat having been changed to match the color of the bottle......... just as the corner of my eye catches a red color.

He has the bottle of solution sitting in the wooden holder with record brush etc. too funny

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 11:41:37 PM »
1977 Oldsmobile Delta 98 - 403 Super Rocket

I haven't really owned it since then - I was 11 years old when my Grandmother got this car - she passed in 1993 - my uncle kept it undercover - and passed in 2015...

They let me have this one!

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 12:31:39 AM »
Only counts if it has an 8 track.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com