Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Please Discuss Your Concert Shooting Experiences  (Read 14928 times)

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: Please Discuss Your Concert Shooting Experiences
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2009, 05:04:17 PM »
If you don't use the Video feature of the D90, I suggest you consider taking a look at the recently discontinued D80.  I think they're comparable.  Also despite the D200 being old, a good used one can be found for $650 and it would give you the D300's set of pro features to learn on at a discounting price, it can still hold its own.
mics & cameras

Offline gearscout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2009, 06:53:25 PM »
Tonedeaf,

I can't claim to be an expert at concerts, by any means.  I used to hesitate to go above 400 ISO with my D200.  Now, I'll crank it to 1600 and shoot B&W.  I'm with Sanjay, you can get better high ISO results using B&W. 

But when the club is dark, I've asked permission to use flash.  Here's a couple from Snug Harbor on Frenchman St. in New Orleans (which rarely gives you permission to take a picture, much less use a flash!)  I attached Gary Fong's Lightsphere II (Cloud) on the SB800.  Henry Butler's fingers on the keys.

I shot some of these with a 28mm f/2 but a couple were with the not-very-fast-at-all 18-200VR at f5.6 and 1/50th.  All ISO 400 except where noted.

Here's without flash -- longer exposure/movement effect (should have gone 800 ISO!)

You can compare that with a 1600 ISO B&W in a Paris Brasserie...14-24 f2.8 lens @2.8 1/30th

Footnote: I do have a press pass.  But when I get the new D700 I'll leave the flash in the bag!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 07:20:45 PM by gearscout »

stevetoney

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2009, 12:58:42 AM »
Thanks for the input Gearscout.  I really like the effect of the cloud.  Might have to pick one of those up! 

stevetoney

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2009, 09:39:02 AM »
Since starting this thread, and partially because of the responses to my initial posts, I've sold my 17-40f4.0L in favor of an 18-55f2.8USM with image stabilization.  What a difference!  OK, it's not like night and day, but really made a big difference in my shots.  Took about 250 or so my last time out.  I got quite a few nice shots, but here are some of my favorites.  I picked these to show ya'll mostly because they capture some ambience.

This was Jazzam in Mt. Lebanon, PA on 1/10/09...virtually no lights other than the bands on-stage low light strobes and the ambient light from the bar.

EDIT:  I should have mentioned while originally posting these that I have many 'sharp' photos from that night, but the two blurred pics I thought were really cool pictures, in spite of the fact that there's subject movement in the picture.  I particularly love the blurred picture of Glenn (the guitarist)...this was actually my favorite shot of the night...and it was a complete accident!  Actually, I also really like the last shot of Jeremy too.  I had to play with that shot quite a bit before I was happy with it.  Needless to say, it turned out quite a bit different in color, but I love the 'ghosting' effect that I was able to enact when turning it into B&W and then playing around with the contrast of the image.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 12:12:46 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2009, 10:10:27 AM »
Since starting this thread, and partially because of the responses to my initial posts, I've sold my 17-40f4.0L in favor of an 18-55f2.8USM with image stabilization.  What a difference!  OK, it's not like night and day, but really made a big difference in my shots.  Took about 250 or so my last time out.  I got quite a few nice shots, but here are some of my favorites.  I picked these to show ya'll mostly because they capture some ambience.

This was Jazzam in Mt. Lebanon, PA on 1/10/09...virtually no lights other than the bands on-stage low light strobes and the ambient light from the bar.

EDIT:  I should have mentioned while originally posting these that I have many 'sharp' photos from that night, but the two blurred pics I thought were really cool pictures, in spite of the fact that there's subject movement in the picture.  I particularly love the blurred picture of Glenn (the guitarist)...this was actually my favorite shot of the night...and it was a complete accident!  Actually, I also really like the last shot of Jeremy too.  I had to play with that shot quite a bit before I was happy with it.  Needless to say, it turned out quite a bit different in color, but I love the 'ghosting' effect that I was able to enact when turning it into B&W and then playing around with the contrast of the image.

I always wonder if we should feel guiltily for corrupting another person with the love of fast glass.  >:D

Looks like tough conditions for sure.  Small bars and clubs with minimal lighting are always a challenge.   If you don't have one yet look in to picking up a 50/1.8 or 1.4.  The 1.8 is < $100 brand new and from the looks of things would be an ideal addition to your setup.  In such low light situations the extra stop or so will allow higher shutter speeds for when you don't want the blur and the 50 is a pretty decent length for the type of shooting you are doing.

EDIT - Just saw in your sig you have the 50/1.8.  So never mind.....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 10:12:20 AM by phanophish »

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com