Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I'm new, check out my rig!  (Read 13730 times)

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
I'm new, check out my rig!
« on: January 21, 2003, 04:06:31 PM »
Hey this is my first post
I'm really excited to finally find a place where people can talk openly about recording and not get blank stares for doing so.  
I love my rig too! I got a Sony ECM-MS907 going into a MD Sharp MT770.  I know you guys prolly don't like the condenser mics too much, and you DAT heads think I'm inferior or something, but you should listen to my last Tool recording...it OWNS!
Anyway, just wanted to say hi.
BTW, I'm looking to upgrade my mic, what do you guys suggest?
thanx ;)

Offline hippies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
Re:I'm new, check out my rig!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 04:31:51 PM »
hey schwilly,

welcome to the world of Taping.  your wallet will never be the same!  

as to a mic upgrade, i'd check out the Audio Technica AT-825.  very nice sounding for the price.  i would advise this mic over it's slightly wimpier cousin, the AT-822.  

another option would be the AKG C-1000s if you want an actual pair of mics to try some stereo technics, etc.  many also dig the Octava MC-012s as well.

happy taping.  

oh, and and you should get ahold of Zhianosatch on this list.  he is another Tool 'TOOL' hehe...  ;)

EDIT:  Bri's right.  never thought you might be wanting something stealthable.  (was judging by what you had now, i guess).  that info would be helpful.  also where you see your rig going in 1-2 years.

peace

~scott
« Last Edit: January 21, 2003, 04:43:10 PM by hippies »

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003, 04:35:07 PM »
glad to have you here and glad you have an interest in live taping! We like condenser mics here! Thank you for stopping by. You said you are looking for a new mic, but we need to know what you will be taping. Stealth i assume? Bands?

Bri

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2003, 05:38:39 PM »
In addition to the questions asked so far (what bands, open/stealth):

What's your budget for the new mic?

Do you plan on building a full compliment of gear - preamp, ADC, etc., - sticking with a small setup?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003, 06:34:20 PM »
Thanx for being kind dihds (dihd = stoner version of dude)
I'm looking to go stealth, and eventually get to the AD converter stage.
The only problem I don't have the convienence of open taping policies most of the time.  Everything I do has to be small and stealth, so once I get up to a preamp and ADC, getting into shows will be a trick.
My range is around $400-$600 right now.
I don't want CSBs, cuz too many tapers that tape similar shat use them ie: zhian, however I'm not sure.  I really like my cardiod (MS907) and I know you all gawk at that, but I don't know about stealth cards too much.
I see that a lot of people around here spuck Phish shows, but I'm more into harder rock :-[ like Tool, so I know zhian ;)
Thanx again!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2003, 06:43:13 PM by Schwilly McSchwagy »

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2003, 10:15:02 PM »
dudes,

it's all about the DPA 4060 series mics for Primo stealth!  nothing else even compares!

get ahold of Scott Brown on this list and i'm sure he'll help you's out...very nice guy.  much experience...

peace you 'Tools'... :-*

~scott

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2003, 12:13:53 AM »
you can find the 4060 series used for 500.00 clams for a pair.
just gotta know where to look.  def for 600.00...

dude, just look on E-bay...  ;)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2003, 04:26:53 AM »
For stealth, I agree - the DPA 406x are fantastic, and can be found used.  Check E-bay, there are theater companies and the like dumping these things off at pretty low prices.  Ought to fit your budget if you can be a little patient and focus an eye on E-bay over a stretch of time.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2003, 10:03:42 AM »
As for using CSBs to tape "inside the stack," this method definitely pulls the best tapes with these mics.  CSBs are really boomy mics and standing like 10-15 feet away from the stacks allows you to get the most direct sound without the room ambience boominess.

The rooms that bands like Tool play are large, cavernous arenas and are not designed for sound.  As a result, there is a natural boom to the sound in the room, compounded by Tool's exceptionally loud lower frequencies.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2003, 02:56:24 PM »
>> Never heard any boots done with the 4060s, only the 61s. And that's precisely what IIII am in the market for....
P.S. Why the 60s? Or, better yet, why the 61s?<<

4060s and 4061s are the same mics, just different sensitivity

and why?  they're the size of a pencil eraser.  if you get caught stealthing them you're doing something wrong :)

great if you'll be stealthing up close, farther back you may want something different, as they're omnis.  though i did make a pretty nice u2 tape from halfway back at msg with them in '01...4061 > dpa mps6010 power supply > mp2 > d8
« Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 02:58:29 PM by scott brown »

Offline jlykos

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2003, 03:29:52 PM »
I have a Pro Digital passive 7-pin cable and never had a problem with Inbox > D8, although, you are correct, I have heard of others having problems with other manufacturers / vendors passive 7-pin cables.  Also, yes, the Core Sound 7-pins are utter pieces of shite.

I don't trust Core Sound's "press releases" worth a damn.  It is an intriguing idea, but at this stage, it is just that: an idea.  Len is a pleasure to do business with, but these are not status or progress updates, they are just spec sheets or "white papers."  If I had a website, I could post anything I wanted on it as well.

I had two Sony 7-pin to optical cables and they both broke.  One within five shows and the other before I even got a chance to use it.  They are the single biggest pieces of garbage floating around in this hobby.  The cable part is simply too thin to withstand any type of field use.  I have an Audioquest optical cable that is about 10 times the thickness of the Sony for home audio use and it works like a dream.

Also, I always use the bass rolloff with my CSBs when recording any kind of amplified music.  It really helps to eliminate some of the low frequency sounds that would otherwise be distorted by the mics' inability to accurately capture these sounds.  It really doesn't do a whole lot for the boominess of these mics, though.  I am not an engineer, but I suspect that you can only do so much to modify the mic capsules that Core Sounds uses.  Go with the dpa mics if you want a real upgrade from this type of stealth mic.

I have George Wang's CDs of a Tool show from Charlotte, NC in 2001 and it is muddy as all hell.  Almost unlistenable.  He was using Neumann KM140 > Sonosax > D100 and the bass is unreal.  It really gives my car subs a total workout!  I know it is not his setup, as I have his Tori Amos CDs as well from Charlotte and it sounds simply fantastic.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2003, 03:37:20 PM »
>>I have George Wang's CDs of a Tool show from Charlotte, NC in 2001 and it is muddy as all hell.  Almost unlistenable.  He was using Neumann KM140 > Sonosax > D100 and the bass is unreal.<<

did that one get better as the show went on?  i thought i remembered that, will have to take that one out when i get home to check it out again

anyway, george wised up and traded in those 140s for 4022s

hi scott m! :)

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2003, 03:41:27 PM »
tool allows taping! GO TOOL!

Bri

Offline jlykos

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2003, 04:20:27 PM »
No, the Pro Digital cable has a full-sized RCA coax plug.  You need a gold RCA > 1/8" mono plug tip from Radio Shack.  I think it costs like $2.

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2003, 04:22:18 PM »
I have a prodigital passive cable and it won't send a signal to my D100 or my D3. The active is the way to go. The inbox comes with a cheap mini>RCA cable if you have an oade cable you just plug it in, if you have the prodigital cable you will need an adapter.
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2003, 04:59:52 PM »
tool allows taping! GO TOOL!

Bri

You'd think with the massive dick-sized mic I did three shows with ;) :D ;D :o :-*

I don't know if yall are familiar with the MS907 (I'm sure you are) but it's surely not stealth and holding that above the crowd is a big risk.  Damn I love bootlegging!

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2003, 05:06:42 PM »
I have George Wang's CDs of a Tool show from Charlotte, NC in 2001 and it is muddy as all hell.  Almost unlistenable.  He was using Neumann KM140 > Sonosax > D100 and the bass is unreal.  It really gives my car subs a total workout!  I know it is not his setup, as I have his Tori Amos CDs as well from Charlotte and it sounds simply fantastic.

I kinda like Wang's Boot.  I mean, if he wasn't humping the stack and setting his beer on top of it, sure it would have been less bassy, but a good recording nonetheless.  Speaking of, I want to know what yall think of my Tool recording in Long Beach with my $140 rig.  You'd be very surprised if you heard it I think, so stop scoffing.  I'm eager to find out what non-tool fans think, and tool fans too ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 05:11:54 PM by Schwilly McSchwagy »

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2003, 05:18:48 PM »
All right, Jamie and wp, thanks for the info. It seems like getting a Pro Digital active + adapter would be the safest way to go.
-Armen
P.S. Here's to being well-informed, eh?  ;D

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2003, 07:34:43 PM »
I personally would go with the oade active.  I have a prodigital passive and an oade active and the oade is much more robust IMO.
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2003, 10:03:08 PM »

anyway, george wised up and traded in those 140s for 4022s

hi scott m! :)

yeah, yeah...
maybe by Summer if all goes well.   ;)

jessedscott

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2003, 10:07:37 PM »
I don't know if anyone has seen these, but www.soundprofessionals.com sells stealth AT shotguns? FWIW, I thought I would share that info.......Welcome aboard, and Happy taping!

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2003, 05:25:22 PM »
Never heard any boots done with the 4060s, only the 61s. And that's precisely what IIII am in the market for....
P.S. Why the 60s? Or, better yet, why the 61s? (I saw your archived post about the self-noise...)

pair of 4060s for sale asking 600.00 on the Oade Board, Armen.  

better get your buns over there and step up to the quality, bro.   hehe... ;)

for the exact post, go here:

http://hyperlink2.com/?145

peace

~Scott
« Last Edit: January 25, 2003, 05:27:31 PM by hippies »

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2003, 06:53:39 PM »
Scott,
I emailed him about 15 minutes after he posted... ;D Waiting on a reply.
Thanks for the thought, though! Thanks heaps!
Armen

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2003, 10:47:20 AM »
well, did you score, dooood?   ::)

jpschust

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2003, 10:53:38 AM »
you said score

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2003, 12:45:13 PM »
shut up Beavis.   ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.145 seconds with 54 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com