Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 3 channel recording with mix 3-pre  (Read 10791 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: 3 channel recording with mix 3-pre
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2019, 07:45:41 PM »
The 744 four channel analog input recorder included only 2 preamp input channels, the 788 eight channel analog input recorder only 4.

The 788t does provide preamps on all 8 primary input channels.

Thanks for correcting me on this! (I've edited my post above)

Knowing that, I'd love to pickup a 788.

^
Agreed!  There are a few 788's available now on eBay, JW Sound, Reverb.

Do you folks consider the 788 to have superior preamps to the MixPre-10 (which also has 8 preamps)?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 07:47:13 PM by dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2019, 11:12:12 PM »
MixPre6 has six preamps, but only 4 are the higher quality and power hungry Kashmirs, which supply 48v phantom power.
Likewise, the 10s have 8 Kashmirs and two more non-phantom-powered preamps channels.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2019, 08:04:09 AM »
MixPre6 has six preamps, but only 4 are the higher quality and power hungry Kashmirs, which supply 48v phantom power.
Likewise, the 10s have 8 Kashmirs and two more non-phantom-powered preamps channels.

Right. We’re not in disagreement. My question is why would those who are looking to buy a used 788 for $2000 not get a MixPre-10 for $1800 brand new when they both have the same number of 8 preamps. Do you consider the 788 preamps superior?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2019, 10:29:24 AM »
^ I don't know how the pre-amps compare with each other, but the 788 has a bunch of extra features, a more solid build, and a longer track record. Lots of reasons someone might prefer one or the other, depending on their specific needs...

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2019, 12:15:12 PM »
What program do you all prefer for 3 channel post-processing. I ask because I just did my first 3 channel recording and sound forge pro wouldn't cooperate. I ended up using logic pro x but I'm at the bottom of the learning curve using it.
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2019, 01:04:37 PM »
Sound Forge is limited to 2-ch stereo editing as far as I'm aware.  You need a multitrack editor.  Lots of options there, both free or paid, and choice of which is mostly a personal choice pivoting on familiarity and work flow more than program capability.  Any of them will be able to mix 3 channels to 2.  Audacity is free and works for many folks here.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 01:11:15 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2019, 04:02:33 PM »

Probably covered somewhere else, but since we're here:
So the 5 & 6 channels provide phantom power but only through a 3.5mm stereo jack?
But with noisier preamps? And no digital in...

Man, I was hoping for a LITTLE bit better.
The noise floor on the Oade-modded R44 is mighty low, and I can't believe the bargain prices those fetch now. But they are heavier and bulkier than the Mixpre6.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2019, 04:23:37 PM »

Probably covered somewhere else, but since we're here:
So the 5 & 6 channels provide phantom power but only through a 3.5mm stereo jack?
But with noisier preamps? And no digital in...

Man, I was hoping for a LITTLE bit better.
The noise floor on the Oade-modded R44 is mighty low, and I can't believe the bargain prices those fetch now. But they are heavier and bulkier than the Mixpre6.

No phantom on 5&6, just gain from non-Kashmir preamps.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2019, 10:30:33 PM »
No phantom on 5&6, just gain from non-Kashmir preamps,

I think the confusion here is the definition of "preamp." I think there is a ~60db gain range on these inputs, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if you could run a phantom box into these inputs for loud rock concerts without a "preamp."

Kashmir is simply a marketing term for these particular kind of combo jacks which take 1/4 inch or xlr, "line" or "mic" and provide 12v or 48v phantom power.

Channels 5 & 6, on the mini jack are designed for "line" and not "microphone" level inputs. Hence no phantom. Makes running 2 pairs of microphones and a SBD feed (might need attenuator cables coming from XLR "pro" outputs on the SBD to prevent "brickwalling"), or an outboard stereo preamp easy. (Though input volume control is via the [tiny] headphone knob).

I'm happy that SD didn't add two more preamps to the mixpre6- it would have raised the cost to over a grand- an $899 box is going to have compromises. But with the (relatively inexpensive) addition of a 1/8 inch input, they gave me two more channels. It's also fun to use a single stereo preamp for fun and "flavor" in those "extra" channels.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:39:26 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com