Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H2 Issues  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Relayer35

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Zoom H2 Issues
« on: October 12, 2010, 01:11:17 PM »
Greetings,
I did some forum searches, but the latest posts were over a year ago, so I decided to start a new thread.

I have a Zoom H2, and before just the 2nd time I used it, one channel of the line-in port blew out. Seems to happen when the line-in is used in conjunction with certain battery boxes. My Internet searches have revealed this to be a common issue. I use a SP-SPSB-8 box, which worked fine the first time I used the Zoom, but the second time it was clear one channel was blown. I could not find any Customer Support links on Samson's website. http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1916#servsupport

Is this worth the hassle to get fixed? I recorded the gig using the Mic-In with Phantom Power off on the Zoom, and it came out okay. Is this going to be worth getting fixed? Something tells me that contacting Samson is going to be a hassle. Will the same issue happen with the Mic-In eventually, or is this a unique issue with the line-in port? (I did not find any reports of the Mic-In having this problem).

While the two recordings I made came out nice, I don't like the lack of level controls on the Zoom, and am still worried about clipping. Neither gig I recorded was overly loud. I realize the input level is digital and after the fact, so the only real gain control is the switch on the side which I of course set to Low. Using Mic-In w. my battery box, am I likely to run into problems with real loud shows?

This unit appealed to me it because it was inexpensive, relatively small (though a lot bigger than the MD that I upgraded from), and could record for hours w. Lithium AA batteries.  But the fact that the line-in went after only one recording troubles me. I don't want something that is going to be an on-going problem. Would I be better off counting my losses and picking up something else like the Edirol R-09HR. I know it's a good deal more expensive than the Zoom. I will be pairing it with SP-CMC-2 > SP-SPSB-1, which I have had good luck with for the past five years with my MD recorder and the first recording I did on the Zoom.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Zoom H2 Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 01:02:46 PM »
The H2 is not what I consider a quality recorder. It has pretty good internal mics but otherwise leaves a lot to be desired.

Both the M10 and R-09HR are far better recorders. I would buy one of those and see if there is any way you can return the H2 to the seller & get your money back. The M10 has outstanding battery life if that is a big concern of yours. 
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Relayer35

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 09:01:23 AM »
Thanks. Can't return the Zoom for a refund. It's been too long, so I'm stuck with it. Someone else I know has had this happen to his multiple times, so I pretty much have to write this off.

I did wind up purchasing a M10 for $199.99. My only concern is the hold function doesn't hold the volume level dial. Most of my recordings are stealth and the unit will be in my pocket. Hopefully the dial is pretty firm. It seemed like the best option. I don't have anymore concerts planned this year, so it may be a while before I get to test it out.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 09:34:04 AM »
My only concern is the hold function doesn't hold the volume level dial. Most of my recordings are stealth and the unit will be in my pocket. Hopefully the dial is pretty firm. It seemed like the best option.

People worry about this all the time. it's not going to move. I like the fact that it isn't locked so I don't have to take the hold off to change levels.

If you are worried, just put a little tape over it as guysonic recommended long ago:
"Placing a small patch (edge folded) duct tape from deck’s back covering only the knob’s lower portion will capture your REC level adjustments from moving accidentally. The tape’s short folded-back section allows easy partial removal for adjustment".

If you have gaffer's tape, use that instead.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline deadwing

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 07:19:24 PM »
Hi Relayer... we've had a seperate conversation on this away from this list I know, but just to contribute..

Had Zoom He for ober 3 years and had the line in blow out twice on one channel only- of course the Zoom people (here in the UK at least) had 'never seen it happen before' yet almost all tapers I knew who had one and fed the line in  with external power blew theirs in exactly the same way.

When the second one blew out, I didn't bother going for a third repair, the mics I was using worked perfectly well through the mic input with the unit's own plug in power.

In fairness to the unit, it gave me some great results, and the rear 120 degree built in mics work really well- I used these for around 6 months while my mics were out of action. When I look back to buying the unit, there was reawlly only either this or the Edirol which was double the price at the time and I don't think I would have got better results. OK the build quality is certainly better on the Edirol, but I've never faulted the performance of the H2.

Of course now there is much more choice- The Roland R-05 is now the same price as the H2 and The Tascam 07 is even cheaper- both of them really outstrip the Zoom in terms of operation and functionality, though those rear mics on the H2 are damn handy. I'm handing my H2 to my daughter who'll use it for recording lectures at uni and I'm now an owner of the Roland R-05. Done five gigs (including supports) with it so far on ONE PAIR of Alkaline batteries and there is still juice left in them!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com