Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording 4-8 tracks simultainiously with a usb audio interface  (Read 20588 times)

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
Re: Recording 4-8 tracks simultainiously with a usb audio interface
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2009, 08:41:09 PM »
I would recommend using a firewire interface rather than USB.  While USB 2 is technically faster than fw400, it operates in a burst mode that is not ideal for audio transmission.

You'll be able to achieve higher track counts and probably a higher degree of reliability with firewire.

Disagreed.

I am both an Edirol dealer, so have had plenty of opportunity to play with  USB and Fire-Wire interfaces and run various multi-track recording set-ups.

So what would you recommend given the premise of the thread - 4-8 channels, a few vocals, guitar, bass, plugged in violin, DIY small, no, v. small home studio?

USB 2.0 has never cause me or customers any issues. USB2/Firewire, in practice, makes no difference that I have been able to see.

USB 2.0 is more than fast enough to handle 12 tracks of 44.1, 24 bit audio, without a glitch.

The attitude you are expressing is (AFAIKS) a halo effect from the days of USB 1.0 and early drivers for this type of gear. USB 2.) is mature, fast and stable.

Today I would recommend people buy USB 2.0 as it's ubiquitous while fire-wire ports are becoming rarer.

digifish

Thanks for the info. I have been doing my researching with that idea that the difference in modes between usb 2.0 and firewire was a possible deal-breaker for any usb unit.

So what would you recomend given the premise of the thread?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 08:45:28 PM by intpseeker »
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2009, 10:25:04 PM »

So what would you recommend given the premise of the thread - 4-8 channels, a few vocals, guitar, bass, plugged in violin, DIY small, no, v. small home studio?

The Edirol UA-101 (USB) or FA-101 (Firewire). These should come with Sonar LE for DAW functions.

http://www.edirol.net/products/en/UA-101/images/Cakewalk_PPP.pdf

or

Alesis MultiMix 8 may be just the ticket (also available in USB 2.0 or Firewire).

http://www.alesis.com/multimix8usb20

If I were recording bands live the MultiMix would be easier to work with than the Edirol. Has more mic preamps and real-world flexibility. Note however chanels 5/6 and 7/8 share mixer strips.

The Tascam unit you found http://www.tascam.com/products/us-1641.html is probably the least expensive option and going to be hard to beat. I think it also ships with Cubase LE that should get you started with a DAW.

digifish
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:44:45 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2009, 04:54:19 AM »
so how do you know that the computer/laptop your working with will work with what you buy?

i am definetly buying the tascam 1641....what would the recommended specs be for a lappy to run it into?
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline intpseeker

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2009, 06:47:28 AM »

The Edirol UA-101 (USB) or FA-101 (Firewire). These should come with Sonar LE for DAW functions.

http://www.edirol.net/products/en/UA-101/images/Cakewalk_PPP.pdf

or

Alesis MultiMix 8 may be just the ticket (also available in USB 2.0 or Firewire).

http://www.alesis.com/multimix8usb20

If I were recording bands live the MultiMix would be easier to work with than the Edirol. Has more mic preamps and real-world flexibility. Note however chanels 5/6 and 7/8 share mixer strips.

The Tascam unit you found http://www.tascam.com/products/us-1641.html is probably the least expensive option and going to be hard to beat. I think it also ships with Cubase LE that should get you started with a DAW.

digifish

Thanks for the info. I posted asking your opinion and then realized you said you were an Edirol dealer. Did some surfing and came up with the UA-101, which I hadn't considered.

Very nice site, btw: http://www.digifishmusic.com/index.htm
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2009, 11:09:56 AM »

digifish

If I could pick your brain a little....   I have the Multimix Firewire, and am recording a small band 2-Gtr, bass, drums, harp, vocs.  I am currently pulling the vox(4) off of a powered mixer into a single channel.  My question is, what would be the best choices to stack on those 5/6 & 7/8 channels?  I also have my Sound Devices MP-2 mic pre  that can be thrown into the mix also!

Thanks for any input,

Pat
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2009, 09:21:32 PM »

If I could pick your brain a little....   I have the Multimix Firewire, and am recording a small band 2-Gtr, bass, drums, harp, vocs.  I am currently pulling the vox(4) off of a powered mixer into a single channel.  My question is, what would be the best choices to stack on those 5/6 & 7/8 channels?  I also have my Sound Devices MP-2 mic pre  that can be thrown into the mix also!

Thanks for any input,

Pat

Hi Pat, you are saying that you have 4 sets of vocals? So I count the need for (at least) 9 channels (Drums just got a stereo overhead :) ?

I suppose I need more data, what individual outputs are available from the Powered Mixer? Certainly recording vocalists to individual channels is a better idea, using your MP-2 to feed say 7/8. Can you group your vocals, lead into 7, backing into 8? That would leave 6 channels for the rest of the band...

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline intpseeker

• Taperssection Member
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2009, 11:57:34 AM »

Thanks for any input,

Pat

Hi Pat, you are saying that you have 4 sets of vocals? So I count the need for (at least) 9 channels (Drums just got a stereo overhead :) ?

I suppose I need more data, what individual outputs are available from the Powered Mixer? Certainly recording vocalists to individual channels is a better idea, using your MP-2 to feed say 7/8. Can you group your vocals, lead into 7, backing into 8? That would leave 6 channels for the rest of the band...

digifish

More details, if you guys don't mind the partial hijack.....  and some sound samples!

XLR1- Lead Guitar Cab mic'd w/Oktave MC012
XLR2- Snare/Highhat unknown mic
XLR3- Drum overhead Oktava MC012
XLR4- Acoustic guitar line from amp
CH5-  Bass guitar direct from amp
CH7- Line in from Powered Mixer (an old Peavey XR600b) handling 4 vocal mics

This is what I used on the first attempt.  The harp player was absent this night, so in the future I will need to mic his amp.  This was a mix on the fly production, and recorded direct into an Edirol R-09, post production with SoundForge and various Plugins.  Totally experimental!  Funky Chicken would be my choice for a sample.  And of course the wav's sound much better than the MP3's.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/2587624/473e0348/WallyBeaver.html

Thanks for the input!

Pat
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline intpseeker

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2009, 08:51:29 PM »

Thanks for any input,

Pat

digifish

More details, if you guys don't mind the partial hijack.....  and some sound samples!

XLR1- Lead Guitar Cab mic'd w/Oktave MC012
XLR2- Snare/Highhat unknown mic
XLR3- Drum overhead Oktava MC012
XLR4- Acoustic guitar line from amp
CH5-  Bass guitar direct from amp
CH7- Line in from Powered Mixer (an old Peavey XR600b) handling 4 vocal mics

This is what I used on the first attempt.  The harp player was absent this night, so in the future I will need to mic his amp.  This was a mix on the fly production, and recorded direct into an Edirol R-09, post production with SoundForge and various Plugins.  Totally experimental!  Funky Chicken would be my choice for a sample.  And of course the wav's sound much better than the MP3's.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/2587624/473e0348/WallyBeaver.html

Thanks for the input!

Pat

Wow! Alesis multimix? Sounds v. good...and ya know, ya just can't count on them harp players. ;-)
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2009, 06:12:29 AM »

Wow! Alesis multimix? Sounds v. good...and ya know, ya just can't count on them harp players. ;-)

That's the benefit of having your mics on stage with the performers rather than 100' back in the audience :)

Listening to Funky chicken now...as I expected with your setup the Kick drum is lost. I'd seriously consider devoting a channel to that.

Great start tho.

Regards Scott
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2009, 06:14:40 AM »

Looking at Edirol products, how about this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EDIM16DX

If you are up for it, nice unit, like the Alesis MultiMix having the tactile interface is a huge benefit when trying to work live and record stuff.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2009, 11:06:42 AM »
A new USB2 interface version of the RME Fireface400 should be available soon.  Won't be inexpensive, but should be good.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2009, 11:46:06 AM »
Whoa, that Edirol mixer looks niiiiice. Love that there is a spdif input.

Anyone want to buy a MultiMix 8 USB 2.0?  ;D
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline intpseeker

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2009, 08:37:07 PM »
Whoa, that Edirol mixer looks niiiiice. Love that there is a spdif input.

Anyone want to buy a MultiMix 8 USB 2.0?  ;D

So how do you like the multimix?
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com