Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi ($35 computer)  (Read 18141 times)

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Qualified
Re: Raspberry Pi ($35 computer)
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 07:05:58 AM »
Sam Nazarko is building a stand-alone version of xbmc that will run on this, much like crystlbuntu for the first gen appletv.

http://www.raspbmc.com/

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2012, 08:44:15 AM »
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline burris

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Your favorite mics suck.
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 12:29:05 PM »
this is the smallest off-the-shelf spdif<>usb interface available:  http://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/ministreamer

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2012, 05:51:56 AM »
So...update.

So far, this little thing is pretty good for what it cost. Really easy to get up and running. I haven't had much time to really dig in, but I have it so it will auto log into it, and I can remote desktop into it via my Windows 7 computer (although once I reboot the Pi I need to physically log into it again). I've added an external HD. And have SSH so it will start automatically.

Trying to figure out how to get the Remote Desktop server to be active on the Pi on re-boot. After that I can really start to dig in.

I am using Putty on my WIN 7 machine for most of the installs. That is WAY faster than using the GUI on the Pi.

Downsides:

Seems to reboot on occasion randomly. Obviously with the Remote Desktop issue this is sort of a PITA, but I have it hooked up on an alternate input to my desktop monitor, so not a huge problem for now.

SLOW. I would not recommend this to be used by ANYONE trying to surf the internet. It does work, but it's painfully slow to load pages.

I'm reading that people are having big issues using it as a torrent box (my main objective). I haven't been able to compile all of the required software so far, so I can't say for sure. Due to this, I may give up on the torrent box idea and just use it as a media server for my home stereo.

Happy I bought it. It's been a good learning experience. I think it will become more fun once more advanced users find some other uses for it and make some tutorials.

Anyway...not a lot to say, but figured I'd update ya'll on my progress with this little thing.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Online vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2012, 03:09:51 PM »
Anyone interested in one?  Mine shipped today and I've determined it will just sit on a shelf unused at my house.  Figured I'd off it here before going to ebay.  My out of pocket is $42.19.  I'll ship it to you as soon as I receive it.

ETA: no longer available.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:53:13 AM by vanark »
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2012, 03:22:49 PM »
Anyone interested in one?  Mine shipped today and I've determined it will just sit on a shelf unused at my house.  Figured I'd off it here before going to ebay.  My out of pocket is $42.19.  I'll ship it to you as soon as I receive it.

:-\

damn, I'm seriously tempted. If nobody picks it up before Sunday let me know. The nerd-factor makes me want it.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 06:56:52 PM »
Old news now but new debian released: http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads
Next month I get to try the pi out on a plasma TV and I'm very anxious to try out with http://www.raspbmc.com/

I continue to be amazed by the pi and what people are doing with it. To learn more about it, read these
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Hub
http://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Did you buy vanark's pi, Page?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2012, 03:47:45 AM »
Next month I get to try the pi out on a plasma TV and I'm very anxious to try out with http://www.raspbmc.com/

I just did that an I am actually not impressed at all. While most content plays just fine, some is shaky or doesn't play at all. Also, the PI is quite slow at indexing content via my NFS share.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2012, 08:53:29 AM »

I just did that an I am actually not impressed at all. While most content plays just fine, some is shaky or doesn't play at all. Also, the PI is quite slow at indexing content via my NFS share.

Is it slow over wifi and/or ethernet? if you don't want it, post it for sale.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2012, 09:19:43 AM »

Ethernet. It doesn't have anything to do with the network speed.

And I'm not gonna sell it as I still have other plans for it.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2012, 10:12:05 PM »

Ethernet. It doesn't have anything to do with the network speed.

And I'm not gonna sell it as I still have other plans for it.

Currently running xbian on the plasma TV and I'll soon try out raspbmc, but I've been able to stream gigs of ISOs of actual DVDs (with mpeg license) and flac files both wireless nfs share with very little issue.

I have another pi running freepbx with several trunks, in/out dialplans without any real issues as well.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »
on sale now: raspberry pi model B rev 2 with 512MB of RAM.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2012, 05:05:08 PM »
This Raspberry Pi sorta reminds me of the old Timex Sinclair computer concept.

So I'd be interested in knowing if the can the thing be used to live stream audio to ustream or the like, anyone know or tried?
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2012, 06:35:07 PM »
This Raspberry Pi sorta reminds me of the old Timex Sinclair computer concept.

So I'd be interested in knowing if the can the thing be used to live stream audio to ustream or the like, anyone know or tried?

My understanding is that ustream (and probably most steam-like sites) use adobe flash media encorder to stream from your location to the other endpoint. Unfortunately Adobe does not have any client other than mac and PC and if the sites don't require FME, it would very likely require flash and the pi can't run flash.

I'm fairly positive there is a use for the pi in our world but I have yet to discover what it can be. Most wifi dongles are now supported so that's not much of an issue anymore, fortunately.

Online spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:59:00 PM by spyder9 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.152 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com