Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H4  (Read 64504 times)

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Zoom H4
« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2008, 11:29:20 AM »
It is good to hear this.

I don't really like the MTII just because it uses rechargeable batteries and its too much money without XLR inputs. The reviews I've heard haven't been all that great either.

The fact that it uses rechargeables is not really a problem: what is is that you don't have access to them.

It also has 1/4" inputs, which is not all that bad, even if they can't be locked. Mic connectors should by definition be locking or threadable types. That's why XLR became the only pro option around.

The comments by Guysonic on his unit, and others saying similar things, are quite surprising on what should be a revised and improved version of the first MT.

Offline ascouserinnewyork

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Logon and Listen Live
    • CityTalk.fm
« Reply #196 on: March 04, 2008, 06:29:43 PM »
Recently picked up the H4 whilst I await arrival of the R-44 and I have to say I am pleased.  The unit records very well taking a signal from the FP-33 with multiple channels.  The unit does seem very 'toy' in it's look and handling.  Feels like I would break it if I pressed a button too hard.. but it does have XLR inputs which is a tremendous plus on this unit.  The price, in comparison to other units, also played a factor - but then again, I am waiting for the R-44 in which the H4 will become a neat, little backup unit.
Michael Wilkins
"A Scouser in New York"
CityTalk 105.9fm

Offline EJochen

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2008, 11:19:46 PM »
I'm thinking of getting one of these probably during the summer, and I'm curious to know if these get picked up by metal detectors? And also, on a scale of 1-10, how would the quality sound if I taped a show only using the built-in mics?

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #198 on: March 05, 2008, 06:24:22 AM »
Recently picked up the H4 whilst I await arrival of the R-44 and I have to say I am pleased.  The unit records very well taking a signal from the FP-33 with multiple channels.

That's very good. I seem to have lost my H4 in a Customs grab, so I may have to make up my mind again on what to buy now. And I will probably feed this unit with an external mixer, like the FP33s I already have or an SD Mixpre.

The unit does seem very 'toy' in its look and handling.  Feels like I would break it if I pressed a button too hard.. but it does have XLR inputs which is a tremendous plus on this unit.  The price, in comparison to other units, also played a factor

Having XLR and full phantom IS the major point in the H4. Only the Fostex, costing a bit more, seems to improve on it... but it seems quite larger too.

For that price, other recorders, like the Tascam or the Edirol R-4pro, step in as interesting options.

I am waiting for the R-44 in which the H4 will become a neat, little backup unit.

The R44 looks very interesting and more reliable than the R4, as it may stand rough portable handling better, not having an internal HDD as the latter has.

Now the question are the R-44 mic preamplifiers, as it would be a pity having 4 mic channels and not being able to use them because quality is poor.

Pity you can't put it in your pocket, as you can with the H4!  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com