Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shipping Cassettes  (Read 6526 times)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Shipping Cassettes
« on: October 19, 2015, 10:54:07 PM »
I am going to be shipping a lot of analog cassettes to someone to transfer. Wisconsin to Virginia. What's the best means to achieve this? The cassettes are mostly in cases that hold 60 to a side.

Anyone ever use https://www.uship.com/ ?
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Shipping Cassettes
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 11:14:16 PM »
UPS Ground.  You can track it at every step.  And its insured and guaranteed, etc... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline furburger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 11:43:32 PM »
depends on speed of delivery (I'm in Alaska, where UPS and FedEx are NOT subsidized like the USPS).

instead of 'media mail' with the USPS (which can take a month or more from AK, 2-3 weeks in the lower 48), I know for a fact that 97 tapes *with cases* will fit in a large sized flat rate box (the larger cube-like one, not the rectangle). around $17-18 bucks to ship. arrives in 3-5 business days.

since UPS goes by weight, but USPS *flat rate* does not, I can't imagine that UPS would be the cheaper, faster option.
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 07:58:19 AM »
I see that USPS has started offering free tracking with Media Mail, incidentally. Has anyone tried that yet who can report on how well it works?

Offline Belexes

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 08:23:17 AM »
Tracking is important to me and speed is less so. When they get there, they get there. Insurance? I am not even sure what kind of value to put on over 1,000 analog cassettes.

Thanks for the thoughts so far. Keep them coming.

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 08:34:05 AM »
I am going to be shipping a lot of analog cassettes to someone to transfer. Wisconsin to Virginia. What's the best means to achieve this? The cassettes are mostly in cases that hold 60 to a side.

Are you wed to shipping them in the "cases that hold 60 to a side" - I'm trying to picture what this is?

Or will you just ship the tapes? I always ship tapes in some sort of sub box/double box setup.

I think all or most USPS services come with free tracking.

I'd use USPS Priority Mail in some form.

Not that speed is essential - but I think the less time a package spends in transit - the better.

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 10:16:15 AM »
USPS Tracking is a joke...  Just saying...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline Belexes

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 11:13:40 AM »

Are you wed to shipping them in the "cases that hold 60 to a side" - I'm trying to picture what this is?

Or will you just ship the tapes? I always ship tapes in some sort of sub box/double box setup.

I think all or most USPS services come with free tracking.

I'd use USPS Priority Mail in some form.

Not that speed is essential - but I think the less time a package spends in transit - the better.

I am thinking to ship them in the Case Logic 120 cases would be overkill. Here is an old Ebay listing that shows what they look like:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-Logic-120-Cassette-Carrying-Case-Black-Nylon-With-Strap-/291489785374

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 03:27:53 PM »
USPS has been entirely reliable for me.  Some notes from experience:

Media mail may be slow but is usually the least costly (though the suggestion to use flat rate priority boxes is a good one).  Heavy but proper size items can be cheaper by priority and priority is more reliable. 

Very heavy boxes will get rough treatment.  You're better off breaking things up at about 20 pounds.  Pack them fairly carefully. 

Priority flat rate is again good because the box sizes are standardized and their treatment is also more standardized.  They should be handled more gently. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 04:52:56 PM »

Terry

your statement is weaksauce clownshoes...not everyone needs to know when the UPS guy farts or wipes his nose.
Tracking is important to me and speed is less so. When they get there, they get there. Insurance? I am not even sure what kind of value to put on over 1,000 analog cassettes.

Thanks for the thoughts so far. Keep them coming.

belexes, if those cases are the ZIPPER ones, I'd be up for buying a few of those from you, so I can have all my masters in them ('92 thru '99 are covered, '00 thru '08 are not, though I did a lot less taping between '01 and '08). they quit making the case logic zipper ones around '03, I believe. (though mine are only 30 to a side)

go media mail in a couple/three of large cartons (esp if there's tracking), should cost you between $150-200....then again, I believe media does go by weight (usually used for books, though tapes fall under 'media', as do cds/dvds)

***then again***, 10 of the cube Priority boxes is 970 tapes at around $180, and there's guaranteed tracking/should arrive within a week.

-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 05:35:33 PM »
Quote from: furburger

your statement is weaksauce clownshoes...not everyone needs to know when the UPS guy farts or wipes his nose.

How is that comment helpful in anyway to the OP???  Why not give him relevant information and let him decide??? 

::)

Terry

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 06:06:41 PM »

Terry

My experience with USPS tracking isn't great either, which is one reason I asked. (I forget what eventually happened with the most recent package, but do remember being told, "We can only tell you that the package was delivered, not where or to whom.")

Of course, I was also once advised by FedEx to look for a signature-required package in the bushes outside my house, so I'm not sure I trust any shipping service 100%. Fortunately they all get a lot more right than wrong.

Offline Belexes

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 08:37:58 AM »
belexes, if those cases are the ZIPPER ones, I'd be up for buying a few of those from you, so I can have all my masters in them ('92 thru '99 are covered, '00 thru '08 are not, though I did a lot less taping between '01 and '08). they quit making the case logic zipper ones around '03, I believe. (though mine are only 30 to a side)

I'll keep you in mind. I have to touch base with the person that is getting the tapes and seeing what he is going to do on storage.

My cases are 120 tape Case Logic zippered. I use to work at Media Play and got a good deal on them.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 09:07:43 AM »

Terry
I recently had USPS tracking indicate a package was delivered that didn't show up for four more days after that status.

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 09:15:19 AM »
My experience with USPS tracking isn't great either

I use FedEx at work and had never had a problem, albeit I deliver to Client Offices and there are always people to sign for and receive the packages...

In my other hobby, I use USPS Shipping almost exclusively.  Tracking is always "reactionary", ie I find out about something way after it happens, not as it happens.  When one of my Projects was "lost" in the mail, I would receive emails from my Client ("the package arrived back in our offices today" or "we shipped the package this morning") way before I ever got the Text Message update from USPS.  It was a PITA since the package ended up being shipped back and forth from CA to NC several times before it ever arrived...  And about an hour after the Mail Person in my office brought me the package, I got a text update from USPS: "package out for delivery".  Lot of good that did...

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm not investing in UPS Ground b/c I want to know when the Driver farts.  I want to know the exact whereabouts of my Package.  And if I'm shipping Tapes, IMO, its well worth the peace of mind.

That said, I have used USPS before without incident in this respect...  Hell, all my B&Ps used to go through USPS Priority and I never had any issues...

Terry

Offline Belexes

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 12:15:52 PM »
USPS has a new 'Holiday' (screw that, CHRISTMAS) flat rate box 12" x 12" x 5-1/2". I bet I could stuff a lot of cassettes in it.  It doesn't say though how much the shipping is on it.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=flat-rate-shipping

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 02:21:26 PM »
If you go here that lays it out... 

http://postcalc.usps.com/

$17.90 
Priority Mail™ Large Flat Rate Box
23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3"
12" x 12" x 5-1/2"

You can probably get quite lot in a 12 x 12 x 5. 

It won't be much more than media mail pricing weightwise. 

Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Belexes

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 03:49:38 PM »

$17.90 
23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3"
12" x 12" x 5-1/2"

Thanks. Sounds like the way to go.

I'll let everyone know how many I can fit in the box without padding. (but I probably will add padding)

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 05:02:46 AM »
Quote from: furburger

How is that comment helpful in anyway to the OP???  Why not give him relevant information and let him decide??? 

::)

Terry

dear Pot,

pretty sure I put a LOT of relevant info previous to calling out your statement about "USPS tracking being a joke"....

that said, I'm struggling immensely to find out how your statement is either relevant, or informative, which seems to be the thrust of your disdain.

with love (and aching loins)

Mr. Kettle
-------------

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 05:04:04 AM »

$17.90 
23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3"
12" x 12" x 5-1/2"

Thanks. Sounds like the way to go.

I'll let everyone know how many I can fit in the box without padding. (but I probably will add padding)

I was able to get 97 (I believe) in each one...it's kinda like a cube, moreso than their rectangle one.
-------------

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 11:31:25 AM »
As a follow up to this (really just a rant), the USPS person delivered my tracked priority package to the wrong address yesterday.  I found out last night when I checked the Tracking.  This morning I went looking for it in our office building...  As it turns out it was delivered to the wrong office and was subsequently "return to sender"ed...  So now I have to pay shipping again and wait another week or so b/c the postman can't read...

Terry

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com