Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new DPA miniature mic catalog  (Read 8131 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
new DPA miniature mic catalog
« on: January 26, 2004, 11:42:55 AM »
just received this email and thought some of y'all might be interested...

New DPA Miniature Microphones Catalogue

DPA is pleased to launch a new catalogue for its entire range of miniature microphones and accessories. The 34-page full color catalogue has details of DPA's latest product introductions including the MSS6000 Microphone Summation System and the MPS6000 Microphone Power Supply, as well as all current miniature microphone products and solutions like the IMK4061 Instrument Microphone Kit.

Also featured is the range of DPA adapters. This now encompasses 33 connection adapters which support more than 80 different wireless transmitter systems, making it one of the most versatile, cost effective microphone solutions in the market today.

Widely available through DPA's international distributor network, the miniature microphones are increasingly finding wide-ranging applications worldwide, from Broadway to broadcast and from Bollywood to business conferences. We hope you enjoy finding out more about these exceptional products in our new catalogue.

Please feel free to download the Miniature Microphones Catalogue or request the printed version today at http://www.dpamicrophones.com/eng_pub/Download/690.html
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:new DPA miniature mic catalog
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 11:55:32 AM »
wow, wonder if its gonna be as overpriced as the rest of the dpa catalog :-)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 11:56:43 AM by jpschust »

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 12:13:19 PM »
i just downloaded it, new cat., same shat

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 12:20:03 PM »
yea - I figured as much, but I also see people talking about buying the gear, so I figured the catalog (w/ pictures) would be of interest to some...

but jp is correct, their stuff can be a bit pricey.

great quality, though.
-macdaddy ++

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 12:21:04 PM »
fo shiz

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 12:26:58 PM »
ive said it before, ill say it again, the quality to price ration is just not there for me.  i highly doubt ill ever be using any of the mini dpas in the studio just due to their cost.  when i see that price tag i look at how much other stuff i could be owning for the studio instead.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 12:46:41 PM »
i could be owning for the studio instead.

I agree with you, but "for the studio" are the operative words...

for stealth applications, I dont know if the 4060s can be beat...

WHAT?

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 12:50:05 PM »
scwilly said: WHAT?

I take it you disagree with me - what mini mics are better, not compact or cap + active cable setups, but mini mics..?

and even in those other categories there are relatively few mic setups that compete...
-macdaddy ++

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 12:58:15 PM »
scwilly said: WHAT?

I take it you disagree with me - what mini mics are better, not compact or cap + active cable setups, but mini mics..?

and even in those other categories there are relatively few mic setups that compete...

oh, you said stealth applications, not mini, so there was my disagreement.

Let's see who we have competing in the vast field of miniature microphones: AT, DPA, CS, DA(dynamic audio), and GS(Giant Squid if you haven't seen the posts around).  All of these cost around $300 or less except for the DPAs which are 2-3 times as much.  I hope they sound better.  I feel the 406X are  very limited by their omni only caps, just my opinion.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004, 11:05:55 PM »
If you read through the DPA site, they make a pretty good case for omnis.  It is widely accepted that omnis provide more natural sound.  It's just that in our line of play, we're always battling crowds and distance, so cards can help out.

Still, I've got some awesome omni recordings.  If you're up close, they rock.  I've always found those AT cardiods that everyone gets from SP to have a weird sound that I attributed to being cards.  Don't know for sure...
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2004, 11:29:07 PM »
check out some of the "best" recordings from Tool '02 done with CS omnis.......real natural sounding

jpschust

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2004, 12:01:25 AM »
well i dont know that i would always agree with dpa on omnis.  more often than not id rather use cards

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2004, 02:03:53 AM »
You guys are taking these mics out of context.

90% of theatrical performances, film/video productions, 'platinum' voices are captured, or wished they were captured, on DPAs.  

Throw in a dose of Union rates, rental rates, etc. and other alternative will be used.  But contact any post house, telecine, etc and tell them your audio was captured with DPAs and you won't get any questions.  And for someone running an audio cart on the set, that is exactly the reaction you want from post because the best audio eng is the one you never notice.

Sure, I would love to capture that silky, sultry sexy voice with an M150, but sometimes, many times, that's just not feasible...uh...on set.

DPAs are at the top of their food chain.  There are only two things that work against them.  Price, and durability.  Not small fry issues either.  But as far as performance and sonic quality - find me a better.  Give me one 4061 and you pick a mic of your choice in any price range.  Now try to come to the places that I can with my DPA.  Kind a like daring a Hummer to follow your 4Runner on the back trails of Tellico.  And if I've lost you already, take a backseat and smoke your schwagg.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 02:08:08 AM by Kwonfidelity »
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2004, 02:52:18 AM »
90% of theatrical performances, film/video productions, 'platinum' voices are captured, or wished they were captured, on DPAs.  

90% of what people on this board use them for are none of the above.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2004, 03:03:11 AM »
i have a pair of Dynamic Audio omni's for my stealthing attempts, i paid $120 for them and the battery box, and i personally think i've pulled some nice tapes with them.  i've pulled a lot better when i wasn't using them, but i wasn't stealthing then either.

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2004, 10:11:20 AM »

Totally agree.  If I was looking for mics to stealth concert recordings with, DPAs would certainly be at the bottom of the list - unless I really had cash burning a hole in my pocket.
Southern Recording, Inc.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2004, 01:01:43 PM »
If you read through the DPA site, they make a pretty good case for omnis.  It is widely accepted that omnis provide more natural sound.  

After using omni's a bit I couldn't agree more. Now I run omni's every chance I get and while cardioids still sound fine the coloration of hypers has become readily apparent.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

jpschust

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2004, 01:25:40 PM »
i personally, hate running omnis for a live taping situation.  too much bs background noise.  in a number of studio cases ill use them, but cant do it indoors in the field- just too much bounce.

Offline Tim

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2004, 01:33:04 PM »
i personally, hate running omnis for a live taping situation.  too much bs background noise.  in a number of studio cases ill use them, but cant do it indoors in the field- just too much bounce.

I'm sorry, apparently you can only live tape indoors? Must be an Indiana thing.

on stage and outdoors

as for indoors, if you were close enough to the stage/stacks you might be able to pull it off but yeah cards would be the way to go
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

jpschust

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2004, 01:36:55 PM »
sorry i was unclear.  indoors i wont use omnis.  outdoors i will.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2004, 01:49:25 PM »
while i haven't done it, i have some indoor omni recordings that show you do not have to be outdoors or onstage indoors to run omnis...panic recordings by syrek (482) and the captain (mk2h) demonstrate this fact.

Offline Tim

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2004, 01:56:48 PM »
I'd like to try it at The Fox in Boulder sometime... the room sounds great (I mean one of the best indoor venues I've ever heard... amazing room) and the front drink rail is a few feet above the w00ks on the floor and you are only about 25' from the stage.

I'd really love to split omni's on either end of that drink rail at about 7'... they would be about 20' from each stack and just a touch off axis.

Offline Tim

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2004, 01:58:12 PM »
see the yard sale for the going rate on a set of dpa 4022's...

not cheap.

jpschust

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2004, 01:59:22 PM »
not at all.  ill keep saying it till yall go deaf.  most overpriced piece of gear out there.  well that or the 1500 dollar ad1000 that was on ebay a few months ago.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2004, 02:07:51 PM »
not at all.  ill keep saying it till yall go deaf.  most overpriced piece of gear out there.  

i'm sure we all appreciate your comments and advice on how to lead our lives...thanks!!!!!

jpschust

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2004, 02:13:49 PM »
thats what im here for :-P

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2004, 04:36:55 PM »

Totally agree.  If I was looking for mics to stealth concert recordings with, DPAs would certainly be at the bottom of the list - unless I really had cash burning a hole in my pocket.

:) I dig

BobW

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2004, 09:46:50 PM »
YDPAs are at the top of their food chain.  There are only two things that work against them.  Price, and durability.  Not small fry issues either.

OK, I want to be an unobtrusive, Euro-mic taper for religious reasons.
I don't stealth. I boycott People's Republic of Tibet Bashers.  :P

What can I do to use dpa4061s on a bar of sorts ?
Are there tiny shock mounts ? Are they needed ?
What can I do to help overcome the durability issues ?

BTW, can I just give these things 48v phantom and expect them to be fine ? Or do I need actives or something in front of my UA-5 ?

TIA.

-Bob  

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2004, 09:42:22 AM »
I have 8 pairs of 4061/4071s and the most recurring problem with durability is right at the base of the mic at the wire output, and the same at the microdot end.  I perfer the microdot, then an adapter because there is less weight against the wire input opposed to having it wired with another connector.  I used to have them wired for Lectro wireless connector then just went with an adapter and the problem subsided.  Aside from that, try not to pack them in with other gear, use some sort of hard case when you transport them - I use a schoeps wooden case with the blue styro yanked out of it...
Southern Recording, Inc.

BobW

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2004, 05:46:07 PM »
Thanks !
What about a mounting system ?
Any mounts ? Or is it tyraps and duct tape ?

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2004, 10:30:48 PM »
BobW, don't get the minis if you don't stealth.
Kwon, I use a DAT case for my pair when they're not on my head!

BobW

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2004, 02:27:35 AM »
BobW, don't get the minis if you don't stealth.
Kwon, I use a DAT case for my pair when they're not on my head!
Thanks !

BobW

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2004, 05:34:51 PM »
velcro!!
velcro that stuff, don't get it anywhere near duct tape! (which should actually be gaffers tape, available at FilmTools when you go there.)
Can you imagine having your mic get stuck beween layers of duct tape, and trying to peel it apart?
Build yourself a spreader bar and baffle!

And as for a shock mount? omnis are not as susceptible to wind and shock noise so I wouldn't stress much there. get some sorbathane feet for under your stand.
I guess I'd need a big spreader for omnis.
I thought these were cards........

Offline DPA

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2004, 06:00:25 PM »
for the record, the DPA miniatures, 4060/4061, retail for $399.00 plus proper adaptor and handle 134dB and 144dB with very low noise floors.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.143 seconds with 62 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com