Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Gefell M200/M210 Setup Advice  (Read 2707 times)

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
Gefell M200/M210 Setup Advice
« on: February 23, 2004, 07:45:31 PM »
Hey Now - Its official! I purchased a pair of Gefell SMS2000 series mics with the M20 cards and M21 hypers from another taper on this board  ;D (Thanks Scott)

I was wondering if anyone who has run the M200/M210 mics could offer me any tips on mic pattern configurations that seem to work well with these mics?   ???

I will be running them into a V3 > D8 and will be mostly taping small clubs & bars with the occasional outdoor venue (Hornings Hideout, Gorge Amp. etc.). It would be nice if I had some lessons learned passed on from some past/present Gefell owners.

Also I have heard some pros and cons to running the Gefells through a V3.  ::) Doug Oade sent me a note and in his opinion they sound nicer through a MMe, while others prefer the sound of the Gefells through a V3.

Comments? Tips/suggestions?? When is it best to run the hypers?

My first gig with these is most likely going to be Keller Williams. Thanks to all .....  ;)

LoS
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re:Gefell M200/M210 Setup Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 09:40:52 PM »
I have only been running the M200s since December, but that being said, I love DIN with the cards.  I have run both XY and DIN, and since running DIN have not looked back.  Nice big soundstage...sounds incredible.

Jamie Lykos has run the hypers for quite a while and for the most part I have seen him run DIN....he may have more to add here...

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 01:04:27 AM »
I have the hypers and omnis.  For small bars and clubs, I like XY if I am really close or if I fall inside an imaginary equilateral triangle that the speakers would make with the mic if it were in an ideal location.  I like DIN if I am further back.  I also like XY if the room sounds like total, absolute crap.  I also like DIN if I want to accentuate the bass a little bit in the recording.

I always run DIN with the hypers for outdoor recordings, although the cards would probably be a better choice in these circumstances.

Experiment a lot and see what you like best!  Run one configuration for one set and another for set II.  Change the caps.  Have fun with them; they are great mics!
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline muj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 01:06:46 AM »
have anyone of you noticed the m27 capsules sounds so much clearer than the m20?

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 01:15:03 AM »
have anyone of you noticed the m27 capsules sounds so much clearer than the m20?

The M27 capsules are the best I have ever heard.  I am not a studio person, but for the live taping of rock concerts, my ears have not heard better.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 02:36:07 AM »

i am also very impressed by them,might as well sell the m21 and m20 pair i have LOL!!!

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 08:58:32 AM »
Sammy, congrats those geffels had served  both scott and I well. I prefered DIN myself ran it all summer long at phish as well as the Hampton run last winter. As Jamie said up close XY may work better but I still prefer the open sound that DIN brings.

I think you'll enjoy the V3 with them it sounds really good. I prefer the mme but thats just my ears. I think it's great no matter what your runing. The geffels are sweet.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com