Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Seriously considering buying a new pair of mics...  (Read 6009 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Seriously considering buying a new pair of mics...
« on: March 01, 2004, 08:38:10 PM »
...and i would like to stick to something that can be stealthy and terminates to a miniplug.  I'm totally foreign to XLR plugs as i'm using a cheap sound professionals battery box which leads me to this:

1.  Am i limiting my choice of mics by using the Soundprofessionals battery box?  

2.  Should i look for a battery box (or preamp) that is very stealthy and can output a higher voltage (looks like 48V is the magic number around here) and...

3.  Get the best bang for the buck between a preamp and mics for a couple of hundred (let's say $500) is that's doable.  

The oktava's seem to be highly regarded around here, but they don't appear to be stealthy...at least in the pics i've seen.  Am i wrong?

Comments are well appreciated!   ;D
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
Re:Seriously considering buying a new pair of mics...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 09:09:01 PM »
the oktavas aren't big but i'm not sure i'd consider them to be stealthy.  if you need them to be stealthy you might want to look into getting a pair of at853rx mics to replace the sp version.  then you can get ps-2 to provide phantom power and maybe some line transformers and you're good to go.  if you're willing to sink some more money into it a mp2 would be a nice addition as well.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 09:12:30 PM »
I know that some people consider the oktavas to be "stealthy", but they dont have the same definition of stealth as I do...carry as little as possible and be able to get ti throug a metal detector.  3 inch mics and stanrd xlrs dont cut that definition for me....

Offline George

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 09:16:32 PM »
the oktavas aren't big but i'm not sure i'd consider them to be stealthy.  if you need them to be stealthy you might want to look into getting a pair of at853rx mics to replace the sp version.  then you can get ps-2 to provide phantom power and maybe some line transformers and you're good to go.  if you're willing to sink some more money into it a mp2 would be a nice addition as well.

Cool, thanks for the info.  I found the PS-2 on Denecke's site...damn, this thing is tiny!  

What the heck is a line transformer?   ???

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline George

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 09:19:52 PM »
I know that some people consider the oktavas to be "stealthy", but they dont have the same definition of stealth as I do...carry as little as possible and be able to get ti throug a metal detector.  3 inch mics and stanrd xlrs dont cut that definition for me....

I feel the same way, it's gotta be as small and light as possible to get it since most bands i tape are definitely not taper friendly.  Keep the recommendations coming.

What's a good site to look at the at853rx mics?  Will the PS-2 work well with those?  I'm assuming the at's terminate with a miniplug?

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline George

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 09:25:16 PM »
Hmm, how about core sound mics?   Or low budget (if that exists, lol) DPA mics.  Just looking for a different sound...

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 09:28:11 PM »
actually, the AT853Rx terminate in an XLR connection.  I just bought a pair (thanks DrumminJ) to replace my SP versions of the 853s.  I have not testing them in the field yet, but I think they will do the job.  I reduced the cables from the standard 25 ft to 7 ft and now my stealth rig is

AT853RXs->MP-2->Mod SBM-1->D100

On the coresounds, I am not a huge fan, but I know quite a few people use them....maybe someone will chime in.

Offline George

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2004, 09:32:15 PM »
actually, the AT853Rx terminate in an XLR connection.  I just bought a pair (thanks DrumminJ) to replace my SP versions of the 853s.  I have not testing them in the field yet, but I think they will do the job.  I reduced the cables from the standard 25 ft to 7 ft and now my stealth rig is

AT853RXs->MP-2->Mod SBM-1->D100

On the coresounds, I am not a huge fan, but I know quite a few people use them....maybe someone will chime in.

Hey, i'm curious...i see you're using a SBM-1, what the heck does it do exactly compared to the MP-2?  I remember reading a claim that the D100/M1's internal adc (i think) was comparable to the SBM-1.  What's modded on yours to make it that much better.  

Lots of newbie q's   ;D

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 09:42:47 PM »
The SBM-1 is an A/D converter while the MP-2 is a Preamp.  The Mod that is referred to here is the Oade mod where they do some work to improve the analog signal as it comes into the unit.  Not put very well, but there is alot of data on the oade site and here if you search on it.  That being said, the Mod SBM-1 is not comparable to the D100/M1 at all...much improved IMO.

The MP-2 is a great unit that provides phantom and acts as a preamp and is built like a tank...cant beat it for stealthing!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 09:43:17 PM by nickgregory »

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 11:38:02 PM »
gloco, check this page out

in pics shown I am open taping *gasp*

these are the Rxs (with bar and screens) run into an mp-2, which acts partially as a battery box if you want to think about it that way.  The mp-2 provides phantom power (48V) and a preamp (gain stage).  I am using the M1 as adc and recorder.  You can see they are roughly the same size, the mp-2 being a little wider.

When I record, mics run in the elastic band of my hat, which connects to the mp-2 in my back pocket, which runs to the M1 in the front pouch of a hoodie.

Regarding the CSBs
It's a totally different sound from what you might be used to with your current setup.   You would be limiting yourself to one polar pattern (the AT853 has 3 caps) and me and my ears feel you would experience a degradation in sound quality.  

I guess this should have been asked first, but exactly why are you looking to switch mics?

Offline George

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2004, 08:25:38 PM »

these are the Rxs (with bar and screens) run into an mp-2, which acts partially as a battery box if you want to think about it that way.  The mp-2 provides phantom power (48V) and a preamp (gain stage).  I am using the M1 as adc and recorder.  You can see they are roughly the same size, the mp-2 being a little wider.

When I record, mics run in the elastic band of my hat, which connects to the mp-2 in my back pocket, which runs to the M1 in the front pouch of a hoodie.

Regarding the CSBs
It's a totally different sound from what you might be used to with your current setup.   You would be limiting yourself to one polar pattern (the AT853 has 3 caps) and me and my ears feel you would experience a degradation in sound quality.  

I guess this should have been asked first, but exactly why are you looking to switch mics?

Hey, thanks for the info.  After taping the Opeth show i just have this urge to upgrade (and plus, i'll be getting a nice tax refund check).   Just looking for something that's small and i think i would have to get a new box in the middle to use a mic deemed "higher quality."  The Mp2 is pretty small, but i recall seeing the Ps-2 and that looked even smaller.    

I saw it here:  http://www.denecke.com/prod04.htm

But it doesn't say what kind of mic plug it accepts...i'm assuming XLR.  I just want something that's easy to sneak in   ;D

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2004, 10:01:12 PM »

Regarding the CSBs

Hey, thanks for the info.  After taping the Opeth show i just have this urge to upgrade (and plus, i'll be getting a nice tax refund check).   Just looking for something that's small and i think i would have to get a new box in the middle to use a mic deemed "higher quality."  The Mp2 is pretty small, but i recall seeing the Ps-2 and that looked even smaller.    

I saw it here:  http://www.denecke.com/prod04.htm

But it doesn't say what kind of mic plug it accepts...i'm assuming XLR.  I just want something that's easy to sneak in   ;D

the ps2 has xlrs in and out (unless you spend more and get the 1/8 out).  it is very small but you have to keep in mind it is only a phantom power supply so you don't have any way to adjust your levels other than your dat/md/jb3.  one cheap way to get some gain is to buy a set of line transformers like hosa mit-176s and then get a dual 1/4 (f) > stereo mini cable.

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2004, 11:25:54 PM »

Cool, thanks for the info.  I found the PS-2 on Denecke's site...damn, this thing is tiny!  

I have a PS-2 for sale!
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline George

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2004, 08:33:58 AM »

I have a PS-2 for sale!

Shoot me a pm, does it have XLR or Mini jacks?  Let me know   ;)

nmculbreth , thanks for the info, i'll look into those line transformers you listed and read up on them.  As long as the set of line transformers is small, then it's doable.

Lastly, who can i turn to to get a PS2 with mini jacks?

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2004, 05:07:04 PM »
why would you want a ps-2?  You already have a power supply (from the battery box).

Maybe you are thinking of the AD-20?  That could work, I used a similar rig with OK results.  you'd need attenuators to bring the signal down to avoid "overload" on the pre.  Look something like, SP mics > BB > attenuators > AD-20 > M1

wait, I have to go to class and I see you already have a pre on your battery box.  I still recommend upgrading the mics first.  That's will provide the biggest differnce.  more later

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com