Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which sounds better to you?

Sample A
Sample B
They both sound the same to me

Author Topic: COMP: MixPre-6 vs. Zoom F8  (Read 22520 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: COMP: MixPre-6 vs. Zoom F8
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 04:02:31 PM »
I totally appreciate the effort for comparison but..
Everyone argues for different things in comparisons, and everyone has been arguing and bagging on comparisons for 15+ years on ts.com.

Todd belongs to a select group of members here who's methodologies I trust explicitly with regards to these kinds of comps.  The guy knows what he's doing.

Thanks to both of you for setting up this comp.  It's rare to have it done with most extraneous variables minimized sufficiently.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 08:12:28 PM »
I also wonder if microphones themselves don't vary a bit.

Looking back on this post, you raise a really good point here.  While I have no reason to doubt Line Audio's quality, even the best manufacturers can have variation in a specific microphone model, right?  I got my CM3s in February of this year...I know Todd has had his for longer than that but I don't know exactly when he got them.

If the difference between the F8 and MixPre6 is smaller than the sample to sample difference between two microphones then we've got bigger things to worry about!

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 06:23:16 AM »
A better compassion would be to take a setup and use one deck for the first set and another for the second perhaps.

Personally, I think having the same source is crucial for a comparison. A lot can vary from one set/song to another.

I think this comp is a pretty valid one and I really appreciate the time and trouble expended putting it together.  The differences (other than recorder) come down to an inch or two vertically and different pairs of the same make and model of microphones. I guess it is possible that the Line Audios differ substantially, but I doubt it...

At any rate, I have only had the chance to listen to these on a fairly crowded train with crappy IEMs. I will give them a careful listen at home with the good cans. I am curious!

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 08:45:05 PM »

Everyone argues for different things in comparisons, and everyone has been arguing and bagging on comparisons for 15+ years on ts.com.  Feel free to do your own comparisons, or at least to pay more attention to the postings on them and ignore them if they don't meet your standards.

Sound like I'm annoyed, I am.  There are lots of tradeoffs and choices, and different people come to different conclusions.  I've done far more comps than most here on ts.com and they take effort -- many times I've been soldering up breakout cables and borrowing equipment to get them done, then putting together files, uploading them, etc.  Always end up the same way on ts.com with someone shitting on them because they would do it different.

Don't let the bastards get you down. There will always be those types on TS. But there are a lot more that appreciate the work put in. Thank you.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2018, 11:13:23 PM »

Everyone argues for different things in comparisons, and everyone has been arguing and bagging on comparisons for 15+ years on ts.com.  Feel free to do your own comparisons, or at least to pay more attention to the postings on them and ignore them if they don't meet your standards.

Sound like I'm annoyed, I am.  There are lots of tradeoffs and choices, and different people come to different conclusions.  I've done far more comps than most here on ts.com and they take effort -- many times I've been soldering up breakout cables and borrowing equipment to get them done, then putting together files, uploading them, etc.  Always end up the same way on ts.com with someone shitting on them because they would do it different.

Don't let the bastards get you down. There will always be those types on TS. But there are a lot more that appreciate the work put in. Thank you.

Agreed, though I stopped doing comps because as soon as I post any comp I've ever done it gets shit on, usually within the first five posts.  Thanks for that, douchbags.

Anyway, good job guys with the comp.  I voted B because I hear some more mid and high end clarity.  Full disclosure that my current playback system is crappy. 

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 11:20:54 PM by fanofjam »

Offline johnmuge

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 09:33:28 AM »
Thanks for the comp; they both sound great but a little different. I can't decide which I like better but I like Comps !!! Keep them coming !!!!
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

Offline djphrayz

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 01:26:11 PM »
So.... which is which?
Mics: AT4031, DPA4061, DPA4099, AKG483, CA-14 cards and omnis
Recorders: MixPre10ii, Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10
Pre: DPA MMA6000, CA Ugly 2

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 01:51:51 AM »
I think the methodology used here, as explained, is as close to perfect as one can get.  Many thanks for your hard work.

Todd definitely deserves the credit here.  He even home-brewed a NOS mount at the last minute to make sure we were both using the same configuration!

That's remarkable! Nice work and many thanks!
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 01:57:07 AM »
i went back and forth in liking A and B.  ended up voting same. 

what's the reveal?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 08:57:48 AM »
I reckon let is sit for another week or two as a mystery!

But do tell us before the F8n start shipping!

Am sure many who are considering the F8n would like to know the result of the F8 vs MixPre6 comparison.

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2018, 01:16:26 AM »
My guess...  A=Zoom.  which, i kinda preferred for some reason.  can't put my finger on it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 01:29:05 AM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 12:57:43 PM »
I finally got around to listening.

No idea which is which, but prefer A (listening at work thorough built in soundcard / Samsung phone earphones). Intend to re-listen through the good cans at home, maybe over the weekend.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
    • IronFilm
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 02:12:27 PM »
"A" was behind with only a single vote, but now with those latest two votes from the commentators above we have A nearly drawn level with B at 4 votes!

Although over all, "the same" is winning by far.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 03:23:13 PM by IronFilm »

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 03:17:24 PM »
I've got the "answers" now, but I'm going to hold off a bit before posting them here in case some more people want to give the samples an unbiased listen.  If you're itching to know, though, feel free to PM me and I'll fill you in.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 10:42:05 PM »
Really, really close.  Slight preference for A.  Listened on my JBL 4406 monitors at home.

Still, impressively close.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com