Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: XY pattern for off-center taping  (Read 3014 times)

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
XY pattern for off-center taping
« on: April 22, 2004, 11:09:35 AM »
Hoy-Hoy,
There has been some discussion in the past about "what" pattern to use when taping off center in relation to the band/PA stacks. It seems that most agree that XY produces the best results, while others seem to like DINN or similar and compensate by running one channel hotter than the other to obtain a balanced mix.

In my observations I also like XY only for off center taping, even though I like the sound of DINN and ORTF the best. To me it, XY, sounds more balanced when off center. My question to the community is where do you point the center axis of your mics when off center? Do you point it straight ahead, directly in front at the PA stack, or do you point the center axis half way between the two PA stacks (like more towards the center of the band/stage)? I tried pointing in the center of the stage just at a slight angle last time when I was off center and the results were very good.

Any feedback??   :2confused:

I'm running M210/M200's > V3 > D8

Thanks!
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re:XY pattern for off-center taping
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 11:15:29 AM »
I do pretty much the same, I "point" the center of the x/y pair toward the center of the PA/stage.  If I'm way off center, I may only point slightly inside of the closer stack, and not all the way to the center of the PA/stage for fear that I'd place one of my x/y mics directly on axis with the closer PA speaker and have the other x/y mic getting mostly crowd/room.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline jhirte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 12:13:51 PM »
I've done X/Y off center, trying to aim one mic @ the mains and get the other close to something! (ie not a wall).
Have had better results running one mic to mains, other accross stage when I'm off center and upclose.. get nice PA sound in one channel and stage in the other.
-Jim

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 12:28:26 PM »
If I'm way off center, I may only point slightly inside of the closer stack, and not all the way to the center of the PA/stage for fear that I'd place one of my x/y mics directly on axis with the closer PA speaker and have the other x/y mic getting mostly crowd/room.

Exactly.  It always looks like I have on diaphragm pointed directly at the PA, and the other pointing off into neverland or something...

but the recordings still sound good!

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 12:51:31 PM »
i like to run DIN off center, aiming the center axis of the config at the center of the stage/PA
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2004, 12:18:54 PM »
I agree that x/y is frequently the best choice for off-center locations and that pointing at the center of the stage can work very well. If you are really off center, you may want to considder reducing the angle- down to 70º or so (but not <70º). You will compromise imaging, but you will avoid pointing the mic at a wall or a screaming chick. Bad locations require compromise...

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com