Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Yet another stealth help-me (BONUS: power preamps huh what?)  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Nugneant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hi all.

I've been taping for several years now, but on-and-off, and for a good while I was plugging into my roommate's multi-thousand dollar deck - so when it comes to microphones, preamps, phantom power digital gain XLR I/O, I'm the epitome of  ???

Anyway. I guess this is a two part question, with one easy answer and one place for everyone to get all opinionated and whatnot.

The simple question: When I was first starting out, way back in high school, I was using a $10 microphone from Radio Shack. This worked surprisingly well, considering. Later on, I started looking for upgrades. One piece of equipment I ended up with (though don't ask me how) is a reasonably small, reasonably stealthy microphone from Sony. However, when I plug this into the optical in on a Sony MZ-R500 MD recorder, I get nothing. I can flick a switch and make static noises, so -something-'s going through to somewhere, but absolutely no sound at all - not even faint blips. This isn't the only microphone I have that does this - it seems the sleeker, sexier mics all need a little something special to get them to function, while the ugly Radio Shack microphones work fine. So:

Why would a microphone from Radio Shack work just fine, and this other microphone fail? Is it a lack of built in gain? (and, followup, what's the absolute dirt-wretched cheapest, itty-bitty smallest gain-solution possible?)

Now, the FUN question.  >:D As probably figures, I'm looking to get involved with the stealthier side of things. Even at tape/trade friendly shows, I'm not a fan of lugging around giant podiums for that extra fraction of sound quality. I also attend a lot of smaller bands that are tape/trade friendly, but whose hectic schedules oftentimes preclude them from notifying the venue beforehand that taping is okay, and if there's one universal truth, it's that all venue security forces are Big and Burly and Unwilling to Bend the Rules. So, I prefer to not even bring the issue up. Right now, the mic I'm using requires a deep pocket to sit in, and the bulb makes it pretty obvious in all but the darkest conditions - and even when the bulb isn't sticking out my coat pocket, keeping it from falling requires I hold myself like a paranoid zombie, lest the thing drop out.

And, just to make this fun, I really don't want to spend more than $50 for the setup.

Right now I'm looking at the mics from Giant Squid, over at http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-micline1.html - and while I can't complain about the price, I'm edgy and uncomfortable with the possibility that I'll buy these only to realize that I need another big and bulky piece of equipment for my Minidisc recorder to produce any sound.

So, this entire post in a nutshell:

-Looking for microphones (+ whatever I need to get the sumvitches to make noise on my MD) that are tiny, cheap, good sounding, and durable, in that order
-Looking @ the microphones at http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-micline1.html - wondering what else I'll need to get them to work with a:
-Sony MZ-R500 MD recorder
-I'm that guy who drives 20 minutes through back routes to avoid a $2.00 toll, so cheap isn't just "good", it's an absolute necessity, even at the expense of "quality" (whatever THAT is  ::) )

and finally:

-Why do certain microphones not give sound?

Thanks in advance for your help, and for putting up with my incoherant, long winded newbness  :P
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 03:36:44 AM by Nugneant »

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Yet another stealth help-me (BONUS: power preamps huh what?)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 11:09:17 AM »
50 bucks is a hard budget. If you want to double it check out Church Audio products on ebay

stirinthesauce

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 11:09:42 AM »
However, when I plug this into the optical in on a Sony MZ-R500 MD recorder, I get nothing. I can flick a switch and make static noises, so -something-'s going through to somewhere, but absolutely no sound at all - not even faint blips.

Here is your first problem.  You cannot plug a microphone into a optical input.  Optical inputs require a digital signal from an optical output. Try your mic-in or line-in depending on whether your current mics require power or have an internal battery.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 11:20:30 AM »
However, when I plug this into the optical in on a Sony MZ-R500 MD recorder, I get nothing. I can flick a switch and make static noises, so -something-'s going through to somewhere, but absolutely no sound at all - not even faint blips.

Here is your first problem.  You cannot plug a microphone into a optical input.  Optical inputs require a digital signal from an optical output. Try your mic-in or line-in depending on whether your current mics require power or have an internal battery.

I think most MD recorders have a combo optical/line input.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 12:23:16 PM »

I think most MD recorders have a combo optical/line input.

Ahhh, thanks for clarifying that  :) Never run a md

Offline Nugneant

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 02:22:54 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sound-Professionals-Binaural-Microphone-Stereo-Mic_W0QQitemZ7424677839QQihZ016QQcategoryZ41466QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So, I buy these and I'm set? Or will they require some exotic form of pregain / phantom power that only rich people can afford? Remember, I don't have mic-in on my MD - only line-in (which I should have clarified  :P )

RebelRebel

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 10:34:25 AM »
How about going to the "start here" section at the top of this board. You sound like you could learn a lot there, given your "power preamps huh what" thread identifier...Learn all you can there, then come back with specific questions. There is a chart there that shows you some common gear combinations at various budgets... That section is devoted entirely to those with questions such as yours. And, 50 bucks isnt going to get you much....."big and bulky" "podium size equipment" ??? "rich people can afford"...let me tell you what, 2-300 bucks isnt even a drop in the bucket in this gig..to put this in perspective...a pair of Canare Star quad CABLES is 60 bucks bought from a dealer.
I think youd be ok with something like the SP-PASM-2 from SP. built in mics, and included power for those mics. it is more than 50 bucks though.
so basically, you want good sounding, stealthy mics and something to provide the power for those mics that is durable and for less than 50 bucks?? thats stretching it, bud, if im being honest.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sound-Professionals-Binaural-Microphone-Stereo-Mic_W0QQitemZ7424677839QQihZ016QQcategoryZ41466QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So, I buy these and I'm set? Or will they require some exotic form of pregain / phantom power that only rich people can afford? Remember, I don't have mic-in on my MD - only line-in (which I should have clarified  :P )

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 04:08:32 AM »
Check out Sound Professionals.com and check out the SP-CMC-20's or SP-CMC-19's (cardioids).

At the moment they have been reduced by a lot and you can get either for only $59. I'm not sure how long that will last though.

I'm guessing your MD is pretty old because it has no mic-in. The only problem with getting these mics is that they need power and you're MD doesn't have plug-in-power (which powers the mics from the mic-in).

If you buy the SP stuff I mentioned above - you'll need a battery box.

Good news is that you could probably get a cheapish one from the yard sale here. If you're willing to spend an extra $30 this would be a great option.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 02:28:30 AM »
md mic-in input generaly put out a few volts of power

line-in puts out no volts

either use mic-in (if you have it) or pick up a battery box off sp.com
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 04:53:59 AM »
$50 is an impossible budget for any mic that is going to sound at least OK.  a decent starter rig for stealthing (sound pros mics + batt box) is going to be $200-300 and you're going to have problems with the rig being overloaded at shows with high SPL.  pro level music gear is not cheap buddy!  if you buy a car for $500, you get $500 worth of car.  it's the same for this stuff.  you'll get what you pay for and there's no way around it.  save some money and invest in some real gear.

if a little battery box is making a big "bulb" in your pocket you need to stop buying pants from the womens department.  i'd recommend getting some decent oversized cargos and stop worrying about something so unimportant.  nobody is looking for recording gear in peoples pockets so chill out.  cargos rock for stealthing also because they give you a place to put everything that isn't your gear once you get geared up in the shitter.
Really not very evil at all now...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com