Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Three new TASCAM recorders announced DR-40X, DR-07X and DR-05X  (Read 5505 times)

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
Three new TASCAM recorders announced DR-40X, DR-07X and DR-05X
« on: January 24, 2019, 12:07:48 PM »
https://tascam.com/us/support/news/5866

From the press release:

TASCAM has introduced the next generation of their acclaimed line of professional grade handheld recorders, the DR-X Series. The natural evolution of TASCAM's highly successful handheld recorders, the DR-X Series marks a dramatic update to these recorders' already robust feature sets.

The perfect companion for videographers, voiceover artists, songwriters, and podcasters, the DR-40X's integrated unidirectional stereo mics with scalable A/B or X/Y configuration, dual XLR/1/4-inch combo inputs, built-in phantom power for condenser mics, integrated 4-track capability, and wired remote control option make it an essential tool for DSLR video, music recording, sound design, and more. DSLR filmmakers will love the DR-40X's Auto-Tone function, providing an audio cue tone identifying each recording take.

DR-40X

The new DR-X Series now adds a new model, the powerful yet affordable DR-07X, designed to deliver professional performance for musicians and voiceover artists. With its dual integrated scalable unidirectional A/B or X/Y configurable mics and crystal clear sound, the DR-07X is great for music recording, spoken word, and more.

DR-07X

Incorporating all of the DR-07X's features minus the scalable microphones, the DR-05X is equipped with a pair of omnidirectional condenser mics, making it the ideal tool for recording music, meetings, dictation, and more.

DR-05X

The DR-X Series also taps into TASCAM's decades of innovation in computer-based recording, incorporating a studio-quality 2 in/2 out USB audio interface that makes all DR-X Series recorders a perfect fit for live streaming, podcasting, and digital audio workstations.

All DR-X models boast a totally revamped user interface, making it easy to access recording, adjusting levels, deleting takes, adding markers, and other common functions with just the click of a thumb. Multi-language menus in English/ Spanish/ French/ Italian/ German/ Russian/Chinese/ Korean/ Japanese/ Portuguese are included. And with increased capacity for microSDXC cards up to 128GB, DR-X Series recorders can literally record for days on end.

Other features in the DR-X Series include a new powerful bright white backlit display that's easy to see even in the brightest sunlight, as well as Dictation Mode, which enables the user to instantly jump back audio playback in preselected increments including speed control and a special dictation EQ, and Overwrite Mode, which allows users to select a precise Record drop-in time for replacement recording with one level of undo. The DR-X Series' Auto-Recording function can be set to begin recording when a sound is detected, and its Pre-Recording function delivers fail-safe recordings with up to 2 seconds of pre-record time.

DR-X Series recorders are available now. The DR-40X carries an estimated street price of $199.99; the DR-07X $149.99, and the DR-05X $119.99.
Decks: Zoom F6, Zoom F3 w/ BTA-1 | Power: Neewer NP-F970 7800mAh | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4

Offline flask

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Three new TASCAM recorders announced DR-40X, DR-07X and DR-05X
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 12:20:41 PM »

Mics: AKG C480B CK61/CK63 | AT943C/O
Pre/Pwr: UA-5 wmod | SPSB-1 | Baby nbox
Recorders: TCD-D7 | NJB3 | DR-680mkii | PCM-A10

Offline IMPigpen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 01:16:54 PM »
Weird.  The DR-05X and DR-40X look the same as the current DR-05 and DR-40, except the screen is blue instead of yellow.   The DR-07X seems like a mix of the DR-05X, with the AB / XY mics of the DR-40, but without the XLR/TRS combo input.

I took a look at the specs of the DR-40 and DR-40X to see what differences I could find and the only ones I could were that the DR-40X also supports SDXC cards (up to 128GB), where the DR-40 doesn't support SDXC at all.  And the approved media lists for the DR-40 include a number of Lexar and Panasonic SDHC cards and the DR-40X doesn't have any Lexar or Panasonic cards.

Everything else was the exact same....I didn't look at the DR-05 vs DR-05X, but I'd expect similar results.
Mics: Neumann KM184s; ADK TLs; Naiant X-R omnis & cards; MM-BSM-7M omnis
Pres/Battery boxes: Sound Devices MixPre; Naiant IPA; Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-6
Recorders: Tascam DR-70mkii; Tascam DR-60Dmkii; Tascam DR-40; Roland R-07
Cassette Transfers:  Nakamichi CR-1A->Tascam DR-60Dmkii
DAT Transfers:  Tascam DA-20mkii->Marantz PMD-670

My LMA uploads:  https://archive.org/details/@brandon_smith

**Have any old Strangefolk or Eddie From Ohio shows not on the LMA?  Let me know!**

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 02:17:58 PM »
Great to see they can all function as USB interfaces. I think that may makes the DR-05x one of the cheapest recorders that can do that, along with the Zoom H1. If I could make a single change to the DR-60d it would be to make it function as a USB interface. I wonder if that’s a hardware issue or something they could have changed with a firmware update (though that ship has sailed).

It’s a shame they didn’t add a 1/8” jack to the DR-40x for the ability to record in 4 external channels.

Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 02:40:44 PM »
Weird.  The DR-05X and DR-40X look the same as the current DR-05 and DR-40, except the screen is blue instead of yellow. 

Don't forget the mics having a red band on them!  High visibility racing stripe!
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 05:19:50 PM »
Weird.  The DR-05X and DR-40X look the same as the current DR-05 and DR-40, except the screen is blue instead of yellow.   The DR-07X seems like a mix of the DR-05X, with the AB / XY mics of the DR-40, but without the XLR/TRS combo input.

I took a look at the specs of the DR-40 and DR-40X to see what differences I could find and the only ones I could were that the DR-40X also supports SDXC cards (up to 128GB), where the DR-40 doesn't support SDXC at all.  And the approved media lists for the DR-40 include a number of Lexar and Panasonic SDHC cards and the DR-40X doesn't have any Lexar or Panasonic cards.

Everything else was the exact same....I didn't look at the DR-05 vs DR-05X, but I'd expect similar results.
The OS is different. It is the same OS as on the DR680MKII and the DR701 and DR100MKIII. I switched from the DR680 to the DR680MKII because IMO I found the OS to be much better.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 05:36:13 PM »
It’s a shame they didn’t add a 1/8” jack to the DR-40x for the ability to record in 4 external channels.

All of their handheld recorders could and should offer this functionality IMO.
The dual/line function in a very small handheld was unique to Tascam.
The DR2d is dead.  Long live the DR2d.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 06:15:04 PM »
The OS is different. It is the same OS as on the DR680MKII and the DR701 and DR100MKIII. I switched from the DR680 to the DR680MKII because IMO I found the OS to be much better.

Agree.  The OS on the 701D smokes the 70D.  That, in itself, was worth the move.
Decks: Zoom F6, Zoom F3 w/ BTA-1 | Power: Neewer NP-F970 7800mAh | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 11:59:25 PM »
when we gettin a 2-channel version of the DR-10L in the same form factor?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 10:44:47 AM »
when we gettin a 2-channel version of the DR-10L in the same form factor?

+1 EXACTLY.  I love the Zoom F1 (similar design) but I would be thrilled to see a 2 Channel DR-10L.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com