Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what am I doing wrong  (Read 5642 times)

Offline crossthreaded

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
what am I doing wrong
« on: November 02, 2008, 05:26:43 PM »
I run a marantz 670 with c4 mics, phantom power.

I use the wall mart dvd batteries and really don't get shit for life out of them. what am I doing wrong?  I can charge them up till all the LED's are on, but sometimes don't even make it through the first set before I look down and the levels are at 0.  have to turn it off, swap batteries and turn it back on.  really crates a buzzkill due to constantly worry about my rig instead of being able to set it and forget it ron popeil rotisserie style.

somebody help me out, I've got matishayu, lotus, and then panic milwaukee this weekend and would like to not worry about it.

its so bad now that I actually carry 4 wall mart batteries with me to each show.

thanks!
akg 460/ck61>cables>busman T mod R4
stuff > rio > es > cl5 > nexo

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
Re: what am I doing wrong
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 05:49:08 PM »
How old are the batteries? Sounds like you need new ones.

Offline crossthreaded

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 07:54:29 PM »
brand new, do I need to cycle them like my rc plane?  whats the best way to go about doing that?

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 09:33:11 PM »
I run a 670, you may remember me from DBT in C'ville. I started having issues with some internal NiMH Energizers earlier this year, and since some were older than others, I just replaced them all with brand new Duracell 2650mAh AAs and everything has been great since. Full disclosure: I am only taking a digital input and that lessens the drain, but for Trey last weekend, I ran 3+ hours with the display light on about half the time, and it was showing a full charge at the end of the show. Next night, ran 2:50 hours straight through for Dave & Tim with the display light on the entire time, full charge showing at the end.

I hear it's very important with the 670/671 to have the menu setting specified for NiMH versus Akaline for internals, but I don't know what specific setting it should be for an external supply, if any. I am going to offer a suggestion that you invest in a new name brand set of 8 NiMH AAs at 2500mAh or more, and put them in freshly charged before each show. Then, even if your external battery croaks, the internals will pick up the slack and keep you rolling seemlessly.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline crossthreaded

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 10:12:18 PM »
yeah I spent 25 bucks on a pack of energizer 2500mah AA's, but 3 of them have grown legs....

i remember speaking with you, what were those mono pre's you were running?

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 11:54:33 AM »
yeah I spent 25 bucks on a pack of energizer 2500mah AA's, but 3 of them have grown legs....

i remember speaking with you, what were those mono pre's you were running?

Sound Devices MP-1s, the first product they ever made. The main difference between the MP-1, and the MP-2 and the rest of the SD mixer line is that in addition to the Lundahl input transformer, the MP-1 has a custom built output transformer that make it the warmest sounding preamp model in their product line.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 03:56:56 PM »
you shouldn't need to condition lith-ion batteries. what are the specs on the batteries?

i believe there are different size "walmart" style batteries. you should be okay with something like 9V/6000 mAh, but if they have a lower mAh then that could be a reason why you're losing juice.

Offline crossthreaded

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 06:23:34 PM »
the ones I have are 4300 mah and I also have some energizer ones that are 4000 mah. 

I'm about to get a motorcycle battery and an inverter and just carry that in my bag

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 10:07:07 PM »
the ones I have are 4300 mah and I also have some energizer ones that are 4000 mah. 

I'm about to get a motorcycle battery and an inverter and just carry that in my bag

;D the motorcycle battery would be a new one!

i *think* the ones i used to run were mAh 5400. i would run them to power a V3 with the jumpers set to 6volt. i always switched them in b/w sets, just to be on the safe side. i could probably stretch it with one for an entire 3 hour show, but why risk it?

Offline crossthreaded

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 12:47:07 PM »
you shouldn't need to condition lith-ion batteries. what are the specs on the batteries?

i believe there are different size "walmart" style batteries. you should be okay with something like 9V/6000 mAh, but if they have a lower mAh then that could be a reason why you're losing juice.

these aren't lith ion, they are nimh

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 02:29:58 PM »
Hey crossthreaded

when I ran that deck I used rechargable AAs with really good results but always as a digi bit bucket behind my V3. I only ran it few times with phantom after I got the mod done since I sold it to you just after that but the few times I did I got 3+ hours record time.

It's true that recorder switches seamlessly from external to internal batts so you should always put in a freshly charged set of AAs just before the show for insurance. If your wally batt dies it won't skip a beat then you can swap out for a fresh one and it will switch back to external IIRC.

My AAs always seemed to drain if left in the machine...even when it was off and stored YMMV
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline crossthreaded

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 03:52:27 PM »
Hey crossthreaded

when I ran that deck I used rechargable AAs with really good results but always as a digi bit bucket behind my V3. I only ran it few times with phantom after I got the mod done since I sold it to you just after that but the few times I did I got 3+ hours record time.

It's true that recorder switches seamlessly from external to internal batts so you should always put in a freshly charged set of AAs just before the show for insurance. If your wally batt dies it won't skip a beat then you can swap out for a fresh one and it will switch back to external IIRC.

My AAs always seemed to drain if left in the machine...even when it was off and stored YMMV

hmm...well I went to cvs and got 8 more 2500 mah AA's,  also have 2 fully charged 4500 mah dvd batteries.  I've got matisahyu tonight, so I will see if anything is different...I've run this exact same setup before though...

if I can't get it figured out there will be a motorcycle battery and an inverter in my gear bag in milwaukee.  either that or I will carry in a 150' extension cord and run it under the seats from the bathroom :lol:

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 10:44:35 PM »
Hey crossthreaded

either that or I will carry in a 150' extension cord and run it under the seats from the bathroom :lol:

pix PLEASE ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Mark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 01:55:09 PM »
I found that if the batteries get dropped onto a hard surface they die quickly.  I was in my basement and had one roll off my work bench and onto a cement floor.  One "fully charged" dropped/damaged (nothing aestitic) battery would drop power to my deck, even though the other 3 were strong. 

Offline momule

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 02:26:10 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 4300mah the NiMH type which in my experience don't last but 1/4 as long as there lithium brothers.  I would suggest looking around for a lithium version.  I can run my R-4 with phantom on for 4 mics for more than 4 hours on one single battery.  However because of The OCD I do have my cable built so that the batteries can run parallel so i can swap out batteries while recording.    
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com