Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PMD 661 MKll  (Read 35111 times)

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: PMD 661 MKll
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2014, 08:26:44 PM »
There were run time battery tests in one of the team661 threads.

thanks.  i'll look for more info there.

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2014, 10:29:11 PM »
battery stuff here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=119213.msg1597270#msg1597270

I recall getting around 8 hours Just retested: I get 7.5 hours with Energizer Ultimate Lithiums running 24/48, LEDs off, lowest screen brightness, levels bouncing off -12dB with phantom and my DPAs which have a pretty low draw. I can't imagine anything would be different with the MKII version, all other specs are identical.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 07:10:44 AM by cd2go »

Offline borjam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2014, 04:08:17 AM »
"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2014, 10:54:05 AM »
Hi guys.
Ok, I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but always worth a try:

Running a v3 digital in to a 661, recording was going fine. 3 hours in, show stops. Deck is running fine. I turned off the v3 BEFORE the 661 and got an immediate card error 22.

Waited a long time trying to push stop and pause and whatnot and finally, and hour later after I got home I turned the power off and the deck powered down properly.

Turned it back on and the file was there,
Date of the file was 10:43, when I turned off the v3. Pushed play and it repaired the file, but the file ends almost an hour too soon. Does the rest exist and is there a way to recover it, or is that all there is?

Thanks for any advice!

jb
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2014, 11:51:23 AM »
Did you give the WAV repair utility a shot?

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,72936.0.html

Hope it works out for you.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2014, 01:42:40 PM »
I did not.
That is way over my head. I use a Mac and I'm pretty good at it, but that's something I couldn't do.
Right now I'm saving the card and hoping for the best. I can copy the file and put it somewhere, buy I'm thinking I need something to investigate/probe the actual card?

I dunno. I did run backup tapes, but damn if the acmv3 is not the cats pajamas on this one.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2014, 04:41:52 PM »
Could this be the old 2GB per fileset issue? I think my PMD 661 starts a new file at the 2 GB mark (at 24/48 it is ~1GB per hour). Editing it is no problem as they seamlessly connect in post, however, if there was some issue during shutdown, maybe the PMD 661 didn't finalize the remaining fileset after the initial 2 hour mark? I am not 100% sure of this, but someone else with a PMD 661 might have some input for you on this issue.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2014, 07:18:25 PM »
I did not.
That is way over my head. I use a Mac and I'm pretty good at it, but that's something I couldn't do.

Just in case you have access to a PC, you only need to input a few things. I don't understand any of that green text.  :P
Taken from thread:
"you need to know a little about the file... the number of bits, the samples per second, and the number of mics..."
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2014, 01:50:17 AM »
Could this be the old 2GB per fileset issue? I think my PMD 661 starts a new file at the 2 GB mark (at 24/48 it is ~1GB per hour). Editing it is no problem as they seamlessly connect in post, however, if there was some issue during shutdown, maybe the PMD 661 didn't finalize the remaining fileset after the initial 2 hour mark? I am not 100% sure of this, but someone else with a PMD 661 might have some input for you on this issue.
The PMD 661 uses FAT 32 (not FAT 16) so the file split is at 4gb. You may choose a lower split if you like, but it will go to 4gb.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2014, 05:57:00 AM »
I did not.
Right now I'm saving the card and hoping for the best. I can copy the file and put it somewhere, buy I'm thinking I need something to investigate/probe the actual card?

I dunno. I did run backup tapes, but damn if the acmv3 is not the cats pajamas on this one.

Scroll down to the Data Recovery section for links to several threads which might be able to help - http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=117279.0

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2014, 07:12:43 PM »
Thanks!
So I read through all the stuff I could. Seems I have to get my hands on a PC to use any of the data recovery solutions available.

So the question is this:

Do I need to keep the card as is and not make any changes to it until I can inspect it, or can I copy the file and use that, can I try telling the 661 to make a copy of the file into the same
card and see what happens?

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »
Best not to do anything to the card until you have access to one of the programs to try to recover it.

If it was my recording and I wanted to copy the card, I would use a live Linux disc to boot my computer and use Linux to copy the card to my hard-drive and work on that copy and I wouldn't use the card again until I had either recovered the file or exhausted all possibility of recovering it. At bare minimum I would write protect/lock the card before doing anything else.

I did not.

Just in case you have access to a PC, you only need to input a few things. I don't understand any of that green text.  :P
Taken from thread:
"you need to know a little about the file... the number of bits, the samples per second, and the number of mics..."

16 or 24; 44.1, 48, 96, 192 or something else; 2 if it is a stereo recording, 3,4,5 etc if it was surround or multi-tracked

You might also search for posts from Gordon Gidluck of Gidluck Mastering as he has some fairly extensive instructions for repairing and re-writing corrupted files/headers. He probably posted in some of those threads in the link I posted above.  Sorry, I don't recall his user name here on TS. live2496 is Gordon's user name and there are a coulpe of other suggestions in the following threads - http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=26640.0 and http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,68159.0.html
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:37:47 PM by flipp »

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »
Copy the file to another SD card.  Borrow a friend's Edirol R-09HR.  It has header repair tool built into its firmware.  I used that to fix the same problem earlier this year.  Too easy. 

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »
Well, it looks like, since the 661 has a repair function, and I USED the repair function, the headers were written, and so the last hour is gone. I guess it's why I make backups! Funny thing is, the recorder was running, the display said it was still recording when I looked at it, then I shut off the v3 and the error appeared instantly. So I would have thought the file could be saved, instead the error 22 just kept the machine locked until I shut off the power. When I turned back on and played/repaired the file it was short. I wouldn't have thought that could happen, but the repair function must have closed it somewhere earlier in the file.

So I guess the lesson is: when going digital in, turn off the 661 before the device that feeds it!

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2014, 12:52:09 PM »
Well, it looks like, since the 661 has a repair function, and I USED the repair function, the headers were written, and so the last hour is gone. I guess it's why I make backups! Funny thing is, the recorder was running, the display said it was still recording when I looked at it, then I shut off the v3 and the error appeared instantly. So I would have thought the file could be saved, instead the error 22 just kept the machine locked until I shut off the power. When I turned back on and played/repaired the file it was short. I wouldn't have thought that could happen, but the repair function must have closed it somewhere earlier in the file.

So I guess the lesson is: when going digital in, turn off the 661 before the device that feeds it!
Just to clarify, Did you shut off the V3 while the 661 was still recording? Or was the 661 stopped but still powered on when you shut down the V3. I know the file is written as soon as you hit the stop button, so if that was the case, it is unusual if you lost data. However if it was still recording while you shut off the power to the V3 that would make sense, as you would have an instant I/O error and the file would likely go back to it's last internal save that it makes periodically while the recording is taking place. I just want to be clear, because in none of your posts (I think), do you mention that you stopped the recording prior to shutting off the V3. Thanks!
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com