Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: gear on airplanes  (Read 11456 times)

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
gear on airplanes
« on: October 31, 2013, 08:54:29 AM »
Anyone have security problems with your gear as carry-on luggage?

Im curious if TSA can construe microphones, cables, or mixers as weapons.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: gear on airplanes
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:32:09 AM »
Never a problem. I fly frequently with my gear. Once I had them ask what it was. Recently I've just put it through the X-Ray machine and pick it up on the other side, no questions asked.

My "travel" rig is pretty small and not at all professional looking (other than the mics). That might help. A larger rig might get more attention, but once you tell them what you've got, I doubt you'll have a problem.

ALWAYS carry it on.

Probably not a bad idea to get to the airport a hair early. I've found smaller airports seem to have tougher security...or dumber. I sail through at big airports. I've nearly missed flights due to SLOW security at small airports (partially due to dumber flyers though).

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:54:38 AM »
I haven't had any real issues.  Like above, one time I was asked what it was and another, they were more concerned with the xlr cables.  I've learned to pull it out and put them in its own bin.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline tailschao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
Never flown in the USA, but I've flown through numerous airports in Europe with shit-tonnes of gear in carry-on. I'm talking several handheld wireless audio recievers + spare antennas, dozens of spare antenna cables & 3.5mm cables, bags of AA rechargebales, multiple handheld recorders, a preamp, small mics, etc. Before I started taking wireless audio kit on with me, I checked regulations to make sure there was not some specific ban on radio gear.

I was often pulled aside and asked to unpack the stuff into more and more trays. The gear was packed so tightly and with so many cables snaking around everywhere, I guess it made stuff hard to see on the x-ray monitors. I think the record was I had to put the stuff through the x-rays 4 times in a row! But always got through. One time they took a roll of duct tape off me because it was too stiff and hard to tear, but the other roll I had with me was easier to tear by hand so it was OK!

And one time in Finland the security lady asked me to open up my bag (it had all the gear in), she took one fraction of a glance inside, saw the spine of a book I had in there also, exclaimed "Oh! Game of Thrones!" and waved me straight on through. I LOL'd.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:15:43 AM by tailschao »

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:38:02 AM »
Only issues I've had in the past few years was with my stand. One time I made it thru TSA just fine with the stand but when boarding the plane, the flight attendant forced me to check the stand. Minor inconvenience as that adds 30 minutes or so on arrival to get the stand out of baggage claim. Another time, I checked the stand and when I got it back, the top of the stand was bent during transit and I was no longer able to secure my bar to it because I couldn't screw it onto the threads of the stand.

A few times, TSA made me turn my HD recorder on but let me go once they saw the lights and confirmed that it was a recorder.

Offline weroflu

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 10:57:16 AM »
So, it looks like it's a good idea to keep cables in checked luggage just to keep things visually simple for the simple minds?

I read somewhere else that they might ask you to turn things on, but what if you don't have batteries?

I was definitely planning on not packing batteries to keep the weight down.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 11:11:22 AM »
My old RBox always got the attention of TSA.  I would check it and TSA would thoroughly go through my luggage even to the point of unrolling dirty underwear.  With my NBox the Vegas TSA agent saw it and and what instrument I played and I picked up on the question and explained.  I have found the easiest airports were JFK, Dulles and Heathrow which is ironic given those where where the bombers flew out from.  Schipol (sp?) and Oakland have been the most difficult.  In Dublin their version of TSA saw me wearing a Roger Waters tshirt from the show and asked me how the show was as he searched my bag.  I gave him cds and he thanked me. 

I don't have a stand and my rig is a small stealth rig so can't comment on that type of gear.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »
Batteries (specifically lithium based) are the biggest flags in my experience. If you have a large rig and pack like 3 or 4 lithium batteries, you're at a risk of being pushed over the limit (and that's a hard stop as in "you're not getting on the plane with those"). I've never gotten there, but I can see how someone could if they have a preamp, adc, recorder, and batteries for each. Look it up on the TSA site for what the max is anymore.

Other then that, they like to see the recorder (if it's big and complex) be easily removable for swabbing but that's it. I once flew with a stereo LD mic (ala LCD2 or BSCS-L) and that got flagged cause of the shape and internal wiring which looks like a pipe bomb. Once I pulled it out they swabbed it and we were on our way. As long as you can remove stuff from the bag easily, and you're under the max lithium content for a carry on, then you're fine.

I never flew with a stand, that's just asking for trouble IMHO (not with security, but having a working stand when you arrive).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »
Only issues I've had in the past few years was with my stand. One time I made it thru TSA just fine with the stand but when boarding the plane, the flight attendant forced me to check the stand. Minor inconvenience as that adds 30 minutes or so on arrival to get the stand out of baggage claim. Another time, I checked the stand and when I got it back, the top of the stand was bent during transit and I was no longer able to secure my bar to it because I couldn't screw it onto the threads of the stand.

This is why I won't check my stand anymore. Luckily I managed to thereifixedit well enough with some pliers, but it was lesson learned for me and nowadays I would just look for someone local that has one to borrow or clamp on to.
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 03:54:03 PM »
I just flew round trip from Orlando to Portland this weekend and brought my full rig with mics, cables, V2, Tascam DR-100, and 2 external Naztech batteries (but substituted clamps and 2 ~24" extension poles for a stand) as carry-on luggage. TSA gave me no issues whatsoever in Orlando, although I was worried when the sign said no "club-like objects, including golf clubs, etc." are allowed when I had the extension poles in my bag.

On the way back from Portland they scanned my bags and pulled them aside because they said the cables and Pelican case with my mics made for a dense x-ray picture. I calmly explained that it was simply audio taping gear and that I had nothing illegal or anything to hide. The TSA agent swabbed my cables and a bit of my gear, re-scanned the bag with the Pelican case removed from the bag and sent me on my way.

IMO, the extra 5-10 minutes spent with TSA at the security checkpoint was worth knowing that my gear isn't going to be manhandled (or looted) by a baggage handler and not having to wait for a checked bag when I landed.
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

Offline candor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 01:55:15 AM »
I haven't had any real issues.  Like above, one time I was asked what it was and another, they were more concerned with the xlr cables.  I've learned to pull it out and put them in its own bin.

The biggest problem I've had is that the bag shows up on the xray as a bunch of wires and metal bits.  f things are stacked they can't see clearly which gets my bag selected for hand screening.  I found if I spaced things out in the bag, including computer cables and other electrical equipment I get less attention.  I've been through every major US airport as well as London, Sydney, Perth, and others with no problems.

stevetoney

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 11:07:45 AM »
IMO, the extra 5-10 minutes spent with TSA at the security checkpoint was worth knowing that my gear isn't going to be manhandled (or looted) by a baggage handler and not having to wait for a checked bag when I landed.

For me, it's all about being ripped off if I check the stuff, which has happened to me with regularity when I travelled alot.  It's a huge problem worldwide and airports just don't care...or if they do anything about it, it's CERTAINLY not motivated by making sure passengers aren't getting ripped off.  A news organization planted an Ipad that they were able to track it's location.  They tracked it to the TSA guys house (I think in New Jersey) and he of course denied that he had the ipad even though it was obvious he was lying because the ipad was in his house.  I think he ended up getting fired, but I honestly doubt the TSA did anything to beef up their processes on the back end to make sure stuff isn't getting ripped off, preferring to put the issue on the shoulders of the traveler by saying you shouldn't pack anything valuable in checked luggage.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 02:53:08 PM »
I just flew round trip from Orlando to Portland this weekend and brought my full rig with mics, cables, V2, Tascam DR-100, and 2 external Naztech batteries (but substituted clamps and 2 ~24" extension poles for a stand) as carry-on luggage. TSA gave me no issues whatsoever in Orlando, although I was worried when the sign said no "club-like objects, including golf clubs, etc." are allowed when I had the extension poles in my bag.

This happened to me in Raleigh my last trip.  TSA said put the ext. pole and super clamp in the bin next time.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 11:10:43 PM »
My NBox looks like a bomb, so I put everything I can inside a gal zip lock and have it open and never had an issue
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 08:31:10 PM »
Around January 15th I think ill be flying to Florida. With my big bag with 2 littleboxes, 4 mics, batteries, hopefully a dr680 and cables. Do you guys think I'd have a problem! It In a lowepro nova 200 bag, so pretty big....
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 09:07:40 PM »
I fly all the time with 3 sets of mics, a 788, laptop, and numerous batteries all the time.

As long as you take your rig apart with all your wires in a ziploc not connected to anything, and you separate your batteries, wires, laptop and recorder in separate bins so they don't overlap. You will be fine.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline nxb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 12:21:54 PM »
ALWAYS carry it on.

That is excellent advice, I flew from England to France to record two shows in Paris and Strasbourg. The taping gear was in a checked bag which got lost by Easy Jet on a flight from Luton to Charles De Gaule.

The bag eventually caught up with me but not until the day after I arrived back home...

Offline kingkita

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »
I fly all the time with 3 sets of mics, a 788, laptop, and numerous batteries all the time.

As long as you take your rig apart with all your wires in a ziploc not connected to anything, and you separate your batteries, wires, laptop and recorder in separate bins so they don't overlap. You will be fine.

This is what I do too no problems never!

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 05:11:03 PM »
I use the big super-thick slide-zip see-through ziplock bags for all my cables/chargers/etc, and then I put each large device in a separate bin when I get to the check station. I've only been pulled aside once for a closer look by TSA, it was coming back from Jam Cruise last year when I was leaving Ft. Lauderdale. I had a ton of gear with me though, it was understandable, and they were very nice about it and respected the fact that I had asked them to treat the gear gently as it was quite expensive. I'll re-state what Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B) said... ALWAYS carry it on.
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline JusTapin

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 08:19:14 PM »
I flew to a few shows this year and after my first I found to slip through security without much hassle, put your cables in one ziplock bag, any misc tools in another, pull your deck, pre or whatever and put in a bin.  No worries at all. 

I lugged the 12' stand with extension pole and stand umbrella buggy strapped together through security and onboard with no issues.  The only issues I had onboard were on some of the smaller commuter flights that I had to slide the stand and bag under the seat because they wouldn't fit in the overhead. 

Flying with gear as carry on is really not a big issue (at least that's my experience).  I definitely wouldn't put my cables or any other key components in checked baggage, unless I suppose you're arriving a couple days early.  I wouldn't check any of my gear to avoid the risk of not having it on the other end. 
Mics: AKG C460B, ck61/ck63, Naiant Actives/PFAs, AT835 cards/hypers (4.7 mod), CA-11 Croakies
Pre/BB: GD Lunatech V3, CA-9200, UA5, SD USBPre2, Neumenn BS48i-2
Decks: Roland R-44, Marantz PMD661 (OCM), Sony PCM-M10

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 02:46:30 PM »
TSA flips out on opaque things in the xray machine, so keep clamps and other solid metail items like goosenecks and extensions out where they can visually inspect them. They also don't like 9v batteries much.

I will agree to ALWAYS carry important gear on, but I do like to check cables, batteries, & stands if I can.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 01:56:27 AM »
Went from DC to SFO and wasn't asked once about bag, which went through machine. First time I have breezed through like that.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 04:46:49 PM »
Just made it through 3 different flights between September and today, each one I had a carry-on bag that BARELY fit in the overhead, packed gear, batteries, cables, clamps, computer parts & hard drives.

In sept, I had to parcel stuff out. Anything with a hard drive or lithium battery had to go into a bin for separate scanning. I was really good at packing for this over the years. By thanksgiving, the rules has changed. Shoes on and laptops left in bags. Christmas we were back to shoes off and laptops in bins again.

But no one blinks at all the taping gear.
I even left the 9v batteries in the bag the last 3 flights with no problem.

In my experience, it's tougher to get into a venue than on the plane these days.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 07:02:30 PM »
I actually have experience with this now as I was on my first commercial flight in late October. I packed light so my only concern was that the senheiser md-42 would be construed as a weapon so it went in the take away luggage thing. My recorder and smaller mics went in the carry on luggage without any issues.

The TSA is just security theater anyway. Once you go through screening, I was never asked to provide my ID to verify it against the boarding pass nor was I subjected to further security screening. 
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline JusTapin

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 09:46:47 PM »
While on the topic, I found this On Stage bag to use for a stand bag in case you want to check your stand in a bag.  It's nearly half the price ($29.95) of an actual stand bag and is very well padded with room to spare.  I was able to pack a tent, lightweight sleeping bag and a several other misc things in it for my trip out to The Gorge earlier this year.   

Mics: AKG C460B, ck61/ck63, Naiant Actives/PFAs, AT835 cards/hypers (4.7 mod), CA-11 Croakies
Pre/BB: GD Lunatech V3, CA-9200, UA5, SD USBPre2, Neumenn BS48i-2
Decks: Roland R-44, Marantz PMD661 (OCM), Sony PCM-M10

TommyAudio

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2013, 11:49:07 PM »
First of all...Carry your gear on,,,Never check it....

I too have flown several times with lots of gear. In fact I'm going to CES from Mpls. in Jan as I have since 1982 and I bring lots of recording gear, cameras, MP3 players, etc. and have had no problems. The only thing I've had done almost everytime is to be pulled aside for a closer inspection done with swabbing, and maybe they ask me to power something up once in a while. but no problems to speak of.

Offline welshylad

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Where Did It All Go Wrong?
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 12:58:03 PM »
Why would airport security stop you? .... That puzzles me

Anyway I've flown loads round the UK / Europe and never had anything said to me..  I always take it on the plane, never check them in

TommyAudio

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 12:39:47 AM »
Maybe the UK is different or more lax on security, but not in the US. I've been questioned a few times. Not to any great depth, but more than a "what's this for". It's always been someone who appears to have no clue what the gear is for.

Offline bobstammers

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2013, 04:27:40 AM »
Why would airport security stop you? .... That puzzles me

Anyway I've flown loads round the UK / Europe and never had anything said to me..  I always take it on the plane, never check them in

I have had the same UK experience as welshylad. I flew from Birmingham UK to Koln Germany last weekend and had no issues taking 2 rigs through as hand luggage in either direction. They swabbed my ipad in Birmingham but didn't question my two sets of rig.
Mics        : Naiant AKG CK63 Actives, DPA 4061, SP-CMC-25, CA11c, CA11 IIo,CA14c, CA14o, CAFS, AT933 (4.7k)
Pre         : Tinybox, PIPSqueak, CA9100, Ugly II pre, CA Ugly II 3 wire pre
Batt Box : MM-CBM-Mini
Decks     : H340 rockboxed, R09HR, M10 x 2

Offline NSL

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 02:37:43 PM »
Flew with my gear twice in the past few months.  Never stopped or questioned coming or going both times.  My bag was small enough to fit under the seat of the plane as well.  I had all my gear packed nicely in pelican cases as well. 
Instagram
Berliner CM-33's > Naiant Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline Phil Zone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »
is it worth disconnecting everything?
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline RobertNC

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 11:32:46 PM »
I've had the entire range of experiences from no questions to being pulled out and taken to a room and interviewed.

Stands are an issue.  I either check them or better yet try to do without.

But everything else goes with me - I always am short on time and flying in day of show, I plan on taping, the show.  Period.  So I assume the stand if I check one at all will not make it, and carry a full working rig sans stand and enough clamping hardware that I can either manage on my own or maybe with a little help from another taper if I checked a stand that did not arrive.

Mics, recorder, cables, clamps, and yes lithium batteries, sometimes lots like 6 (the DVD style since I run a 722) all in my carry on.

Just use some basic common sense and think about what you are doing.  Have everything well organized and packed methodically, allow yourself plenty of time.  I do not put it in a separate bin but I treat my 722 like what it is - a computer, and remove it and put in  the same bin with my gear bag.

Shoes go in first, everything else gear always goes last so that if and when they red flag it you have already gotten dressed, gotten the rest of your shit and are calm and ready for whatever happens next.  At that point all you have to know is that TSA is Law Enforcement, they are not your friends, don't want them to be your enemies.  Like ALL law enforcement officers they want one thing first and foremost - an attitude that immediately makes it clear to them that your are not cordial, not cooperative, not friendly, but rather you are COMPLIANT (cordial, cooperative are are part and parcel, but compliance is the key to your demeanor).

It's pretty simple really.  Have your shit together, be compliant and whatever happens you will get through - I have yet to not make it... ;-)

SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline Phil Zone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 06:08:50 PM »
Just went through Logan airport. Went with 2 little boxe a 680 and a tin of other stuff. No issues just a quick side check and they said OK.

Offline weroflu

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 07:10:25 AM »
They just issued new guidelines, cell phones have to be powered up before entrance on international direct flights to the u.s.

I'm not quite sure I understand how they can enforce this since this involves literally every international airport and it's outside the u.s.

Also it seems strange that only cell phones are targetted and no mention of any other piece of electronic equipment.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2014, 09:52:09 AM »
They just issued new guidelines, cell phones have to be powered up before entrance on international direct flights to the u.s.

I'm not quite sure I understand how they can enforce this since this involves literally every international airport and it's outside the u.s.

Also it seems strange that only cell phones are targetted and no mention of any other piece of electronic equipment.

I thought it was other things as well.

They now do customs abroad in a number of places; get your return stamp and duty declared before you even leave the ground. It would happen there as they have the equipment.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 10:16:38 AM »
I believe it's currently stated as something like "certain devices" may have to be powered up prior to being cleared for flights to the US from "certain locations" which have not been named yet. It doesn't sound like it's a blanket "all devices must be powered up first" requirement - yet.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2014, 01:56:53 AM »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2014, 06:38:38 AM »

In the UK they say *any* piece of electronic equipment would have to be switched on - including iPads, computers, cameras, etc....

So this would include any recorder.

If it was only phones, the bombers would just put it in a camera, or the like.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.147 seconds with 66 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com