Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Another gig another swarm of bees (MP3 attached)  (Read 2476 times)

Offline schoff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Another gig another swarm of bees (MP3 attached)
« on: July 15, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »
Hi guys

About 12 months ago after major problems with right channel dropout on my old RO9 recorder  I decided to upgrade my rig. I eventually put down my problems with the RO9 to trouble with the line in.

Originally I was running AT 853 Rx`s mounted on sunglasses > Church Audio Preamp CA 9100 > Edirol R-09 and everything was sweet.

I am now trying to run AT853 Rx`s >Church Audio Preamp 9200 > Sony M10.

I thought I had it cracked a couple of nights ago when recording Neil Young however upon listening to the acoustic section of the show again I was again plagued with a low buzzing which has been an ongoing  problem since upgrading. (MP3 attached)

OK background information:

Thinking it was a microphone problem I sent the offending microphone off to be rewired.

Next perhaps a pre amp problem so invested in a new 9200 from Chris Church (No major worries here; was thinking of an upgrade anyway) I was a little concerned when my new tec came back as there were lots more new and unfamiliar buttons and switches: volume, gain and a small button ???

Not sure on what setting to set to get best results and have tried varying settings at varying gigs but to no avail. DEFINITLY advice needed here. (Perhaps this is the source of my bee problem?)

The attached MP3 was recorded with the following settings:

Volume aprox half way
Gain: 0
Sony M10: Record level 4,
Mic Sens (Att): Low, 
DPC (speed CTRL) : Off,
Rec Level: Manual

I hope I have explained the problem well enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers in advance.

Schoff
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:54:17 PM by schoff »

Marshall7

Re: Another gig another swarm of bees (MP3 attached)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 03:43:34 PM »
Bad cable?

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 03:45:33 PM »
Can't listen right now, but your cell phone wasn't anywhere near the cables or the any of the devices was it?
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 04:15:59 PM »
Not cell phone or RF I don't think - it's a steady pitch in the left channel.  I'm with Marshall on a bad cable, maybe a ground / shield issue.  Narrow down your variables - try the mics straight into the M10 MIC in (w/ PIP) and then also Line in to make sure they're not the culprit.  If they're OK, put back the 9200 with the interconnect cable you used.  Then try swapping out different 1/8 cables between the 9200 and M10.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 04:58:13 PM »
after listening now I agree. Sounds like it's the only thing not swapped out yet is a cable maybe.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline schoff

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 04:20:05 AM »
 Thanks for the prompt replies. Unfortunately work calls for the next couple of days so will have to check  the cables out then.

Hi guys,

Just a quick update. Finally had chance to take your advice and because of a lack of appropriate cables tried each mic alternatively into the amp and found I have an intermediate fault on the left channel microphone.

Initially I was slightly flummoxed as everything was working perfect; no buzz nothing until on the off chance I began moving the mic around and the bees were back with a vengeance.

Once again thanks for taking the time to post.

A final coda to this thread. Took the cap off the mic when plugged into to the pre amp and recorded the exact same interference but could I get the same interference after I replaced the cap could I hell as like.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 12:36:39 PM by schoff »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com