Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is your ideal bag? Either already in existence or one you've made up.  (Read 7328 times)

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Some folks use one of those rolling things you carry a golf bag in to haul mic stands, but I think they are hauling several at once.

A golf bag itself might work if it has wheels. 

Yeah I'm sometimes hauling a video tripod and at least one stand though usually two or three stands.  I'll run video plus two pairs of mics for the more important stuff where all that works. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=34757716&cp=4406646.4413887.4413989.4414127

Sometimes places like Goodwill have these golf bag carts or golf bag cases with rollers, but the carts are the ones with the big wheels.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Thats what I use now actually.  I'm thinking of using that general design and adding/subtracting a few features here and there.

If I were to improve the Sonicase...

1. I would make all the plastic buckles metal.
2. I would add stiffeners to the the outer shell so that it stands up better, and also add a stiffener plate to the back panel.
3. I would improve the shoulder strap so that it was comparable to the PortaBrace strap... 
4. I would improve on the material used in the bag, ie the PortaBrace uses "thicker" material...  I would prefer a very long-lasting water-proof denim-type material... 

My own thoughts, hopefully helping you design your own bag...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
Much appreciated Terry!  The more feedback the better.

1.  Metal is certainly an option.  I've never had an issue with the plastic, but you're making me nervous, so metal fasteners might be a good idea just in case.
2.  Thats a good idea that I hadn't thought of.
3.  A better strap would be nice, but I'm cheap, so this might be lowest on the list of priorities
4.  The material is actually relatively limited.  It'll be made from the scraps of sails.  (my dad owned a sailmaking company up until recently) So will be waterproof, but thinking about it now, might be a bit rough.  Gluing some felt to the inside might be a good idea....

I'm thinking about adding some extra, more usable pockets to the outside as well.  Hopefully try to eliminate the need for the external pouch.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
Right now I use a very simple REI backpack, but my small cases of different items are more free to move around in there more than I would like.  I've been looking into photographer's backpacks with the adjustable dividers to keep everything secure, but they're usually rather expensive.  Then I just came across this a few minutes ago:
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Backpack-DSLR-Cameras-Accessories/dp/B002VPE1WK/ref=pd_cp_p_0
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:19:56 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
I don't know if this is an issue elsewhere but around me a lot of venues won't let backpacks inside. In the past it was such an issue that one time Lynchie had to bring his rig into the venue with a garbage bag because they refused to let him inside with a backpack. Granted this was the Verizon Center for WSP & they were not used too tapers bringing gear bags in but regardless there were a few other instances where there are no backpacks allowed.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline bombdiggity

I don't know if this is an issue elsewhere but around me a lot of venues won't let backpacks inside. In the past it was such an issue that one time Lynchie had to bring his rig into the venue with a garbage bag because they refused to let him inside with a backpack. Granted this was the Verizon Center for WSP & they were not used too tapers bringing gear bags in but regardless there were a few other instances where there are no backpacks allowed.

That may be an issue at the arenas (though I'm not sure a large gear bag would be any more acceptable if that is the case)...  I don't do those anymore (well the last time I did it wasn't that sort of act so I wasn't bringing a backpack anyway).  Not sure if they would have let anyone in with one there now that you mention it though. 

Some good ideas on this thread.  I will be checking the thrift stores for one of those golf bags if I'm at one.   
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
+1 regarding the backpack issue.  I've also encountered it at smaller venues; professional camera bags (Lowepro Nova 4 are okay) while camera backpacks are not.  That said, I've gone for the pro camera bag route.

Offline bombdiggity

Well good to keep in mind then.  I've never had an issue with the backpack/s (often more than one) but tend to "non-conformist" venues (clubs, DIY), though I run some shows at Smithsonian museums and they make me wear it in front (but do that to everyone with any bag or purse - presumably since it is too easy to bump a pack into something if it is on your back).  The Kennedy Center and Library of Congress also allow backpacks (though not recording!).  I guess my "name" venues are tourist spots so they are used to packs (but may want to inspect them). 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com