Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MT line in impedance  (Read 2371 times)

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
MT line in impedance
« on: January 04, 2006, 11:09:38 AM »
Hello,

After asking recently for the impedance of the Microtrack line in impedance I got an answer:

The 1/4" in impedance is >5.3K Ohms.

How can I interpret this? Bigger than 5300 Ohms, but how big and when or why?
Can someone explain the difference with e.g. the line in spec of a Sony DAT deck? 47K

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
Re: MT line in impedance
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 05:00:36 AM »
Nobody?

Offline ddeh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 10:49:33 AM »
The input impedence will vary with audio frequency, and you might have a problem if the impedence of a nominally "high impedence" input goes too low somewhere in the audio frequency range.  So their response, which I'd translate to "it doesn't drop below 5.3K Ohms anywhere in the audio frequency band" is reasonable.  Two other manufacturers might well quote input impendences of "5.3K minimum" and just plain "5.3K" to indicate the exact same measurement.

That said, the 47K you quote for a Sony DAT feels like a more normal figure, and the 5.3K feels a little low.  Whether it's actually too low depends on what you plug into it.  You should check if the preamp or other box you intend to connect to the MT specifies a minimum impedence to which its output should be connected.

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 06:51:01 AM »
How much variation of the impedance over frequency is normal?
What kind of curve of impedance versus frequency is to be expected?

Does anybody have a graph of impedance versus frequency for the Microtrack's line in?

I know: many questions but I am slowly learning more..

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 12:34:10 PM »
Unsure of the  correlation between frequency & impedence, but on the m1 the 47KOhm impedence for the line-in setting will allow you to plug into a hot feed from a soundboard without brickwalling.  I don't run a pre with my rig, so I have to use line transformers to get  strong enough levels using the line-in setting.  If you plugged into a hot feed with a low impedence recorder, I imagine that you would have to use attenuators to keep from brickwalling.  Can you use the 1/4" input jacks on the MT in both a line-in AND mic-in setting?  If so, there are probably different impedence values for each setting.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline kfrinkle

• Needs to get out more...
    • Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 12:43:47 PM »
How does the impedence on this compare to the JB3... I know when running something like CMC-8 > bat box > jb3, you get more distortion that running CMC-8 > bat box > D8....
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com