Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for a sub $500 turntable....any help would be appreciated  (Read 2825 times)

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Lately I have had the itch to buy a turntable.....My playback system is nothing to write home about...I have a Sony STR-DE925 receiver, JBL bookshelf speakers, Sony DVR/Recorder RDR HX715, AKG Audiosphere headphone amp and HD650 Sennheiser headphones...I do most on my listening with the headphones......I've been looking at the Technics 1200 series.....I can grab one with a Shure cartridge for $500........Any help would be greatly appreciated.....Digital is nice but it seems to lack the warm, depth and soul of vinyl....Thank you..

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Looking for a sub $500 turntable....any help would be appreciated
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 11:58:50 AM »
The Needle Doctor has a sale on Goldring tables right now.  Their GR 1.2 is a well known table that performs well.    They are on sale for $369 with an included MM cartridge.  We sell Rega turntables (we love the P3), but they start out around $800.  We have plans to bring in a lower priced table in the future.  When we do, it will likely be the Goldring.

Chris

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5974/.f?sc=2&category=758
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 12:51:17 PM by cshepherd »

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 01:56:03 PM »
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=MHGR1.2&product_name=Goldring%20GR-1.2%20Turntable

Is this a different cartrige @ $299.00?

Includes Goldring Electra Cartridge
All this makes the GR1.2 an exceptional value, but the feature list goes on! Included is a factory-installed quality Goldring "Electra" moving magnet phono cartridge. This cartridge offers highly detailed music reproduction rivaling products that cost far more. A hinged dust cover is standard, and the factory installed phono cables add to the ease of set up.

Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

cshepherd

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 02:17:31 PM »
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=MHGR1.2&product_name=Goldring%20GR-1.2%20Turntable

Is this a different cartrige @ $299.00?

Includes Goldring Electra Cartridge
All this makes the GR1.2 an exceptional value, but the feature list goes on! Included is a factory-installed quality Goldring "Electra" moving magnet phono cartridge. This cartridge offers highly detailed music reproduction rivaling products that cost far more. A hinged dust cover is standard, and the factory installed phono cables add to the ease of set up.

It's the same table.  $299 is a great price, though.  The Goldring GR 1.2 comes stock with the Goldring Electra cartridge and the Rega RB250 tonearm.  The Rega tonearm is a patented one piece design.  It won an engineering award and is manufactured in England.  There are 15 major turntable manufacturers who use Rega's tonearms in OEM applications.

Chris

Offline joekar

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 03:01:25 PM »
Thanks for the advise guys....That Goldring looks nice.....I'm looking for something that will last a long time and sounds great when I break out the occasional vinyl platter....This looks like it will fit the bill...

Thank you
Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 12:44:57 PM »
just remember, you need a phono pre.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 04:07:18 PM »
This is what I have, 2 out of 32 reviews mentioned a hum problem, I haven't experienced it myself.  For as little as I spin vinyl and NOT having to have a phono pre (since it has it's own) on my equipment, it's perfect for my needs.  I'm using the Grace 902 as my pre so I'd need an external phono-pre in order to use a turntable, this one solves the problem.  I paid about $225, amazon has it for $205 shipped at the moment.  I'd like an automatic return, but other than that I've been totally satisfied.  The rca cables are a bit short and somewhat cheap, I might pick up some RCA chassis connectors and do a minor mod so that I can use various length cables.

P.S. You can upgrade the cartrige (perhaps to thier MM cartrige) if the supplied one  just doesn't cut it, I'm happy with the standard one for now.

Audio-Technica AT-PL120 Professional Direct-Drive Turntable

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00012EYNG/103-2874630-4998235?n=172282
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 04:12:29 PM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 06:03:37 PM »
Don't know if you;re still looking, but I saw this on Audiogon....turntable and pre for $515:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1157724356
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

Offline jpschust

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 06:24:49 PM »
on that last one you are going to need a cartridge
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

Offline joekar

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 06:42:36 PM »
I wound up getting a Pro-Ject Debut III and their basic phone pre amp.......It got nice reviews from what I've read......I was considering the above recomended tables but I decided to use my Musicians Friend credt card.....and they didn't carry the Gordring....I've only had it a few days but I still don't have any vinyl...(wife number 1 got all of my vinyl and everything else but I got the kid....so I won)......I ordered some (vinyl) from ebay and it's not here yet........I figured since I don't have any old discs I would start with all new ones.....I found the following records on ebay, all new and sealed,........Jerry- Old and in the Way , Jerry with Saunders at Keystone (both discs),  David Bromberg-Bandit, Hot Tuna-First Pull Up Then Pull Down and Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow 160 grams.........I can't wait.....They are going to sound :djsmilie: great through the AKG> Senns HD650's...probably knock a few dbs off my hearing.........I feel like a 10 year old ( yeah, I started young).......T+ and Thank you to everyone for their input on this thread......As soon as life gets back on track I have all intentions of building a system capable of blowing womens clothing off.........But for now the Pro-ject will be just fine.......

Peace,
jk
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 06:45:03 PM by joekar »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com