Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Improve a PMD-661 with SCA pres?  (Read 5620 times)

Offline beccogiallo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Improve a PMD-661 with SCA pres?
« on: August 30, 2012, 10:45:16 AM »
Hi everybody!
This is my first post here (after spending some time here reading and learning...).  :newbie:

My goal is some stereo classical music (chamber, baroque) live recording, fully legit (usually asked to do that) so no stealth requirements.
I already have a pair of AKG SE300B and probably will buy 2 beyer MC930.
For the recorder I'm narrowing down on PMD-661.

I'm wondering if a pair of SCA pre channels (T15, C84) could be a noticeable improvement on 661. What do you think about that?
(Perhaps a Lunatec V3 could be an even better answer, leaving the Marantz as a bit bucket...)

Moreover, no problem for building the SCA kits with a tri-voltage PSU for 220V, obviously problems rise on batteries. I suppose you can easily get +/- 16VDC from 3 12V SLAs with a humble resistive voltage divider too, but as usual 48V is a PITA.
Perhpas someone has good schematics or solutions for a DC-DC converter... (able to put out 20 mA total, not the common 555+voltage multiplier thingy...)
Happy taping!
*** Luca ***

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: Improve a PMD-661 with SCA pres?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 03:55:52 PM »
Welcome to The Taperssection Forums, to give you an idea of what a stock unit will do, here is a M/S recording of a Community Orchestra that I made last year with AKG Bluelines directly into a PMD661.

http://archive.org/details/aco2011-10-28.akg391.akg394.digigal.flac16

I'm currently running a MixPre-D now and feeding the 661 as a bit bucket. 

If you're looking for an improvement with a stand alone 661 you may want to pick up an Oade modded unit. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 04:08:27 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline beccogiallo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 05:20:08 PM »
Welcome to The Taperssection Forums, to give you an idea of what a stock unit will do, here is a M/S recording of a Community Orchestra that I made last year with AKG Bluelines directly into a PMD661.

If you're looking for an improvement with a stand alone 661 you may want to pick up an Oade modded unit.

Thanks! I believe I can recognize some familiar Blueline hints in your recording, so I suppose 661's pres are not that bad after all ;D
Living in Europe, buying an Oade modded unit or having mine modded is not a very economic/convenient option.

So I was wondering if a couple of SCA channels could make some real difference. After all, two pieces of gear instead of one (albeit much improved) means that one day you can sell or hold one or both...
*** Luca ***

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 05:25:30 PM »
Ciao!

If it were me, I'd run the mics straight into the recorder for a couple shows and see if you're happy with the results. The 661 is a fine all-in-one recorder/pre, you'll likely be happy with the results.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 05:50:40 AM »
I would think about putting all you $$$ into better microphones before you spend any more on downstream gear. I ran the bluelines for many years and was generally happy. But the move up to schoeps was literally night and day. On the other hand, the recent naiant/ grace comp shows how subtle the differences can be in mic preamps.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 10:42:25 AM »
also if your looking at a 661, might as well consider a modded 660: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=157645.0
Great all in one device at an insanely cheap price to boot
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline beccogiallo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »
I would think about putting all you $$$ into better microphones before you spend any more on downstream gear. I ran the bluelines for many years and was generally happy.

That's right. I own the bluelines as some kind of leftover but don'love them. I've been using Schoeps for years in a studio and know them well, alas it wasn't my stuff.
Since I'm buying nearly everything from scratch and Shoeps are out of my budget now, I wondered if the addition of SCA pres could anyway improve a bit those non-top notch microphone results over the stock recorders' pres.
*** Luca ***

Offline beccogiallo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 11:48:37 AM »
also if your looking at a 661, might as well consider a modded 660: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=157645.0

Good hint, I'd like to avoid being limited to 16/48 though.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:51:17 AM by beccogiallo »
*** Luca ***

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 12:01:10 PM »
Which caps do you have for the AKGs?
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 01:35:34 PM »
although OT, I've been really impressed with what my tascam hd-p2 brings to the table.  Unmodified, the preamp section sounds great, it's easy to power (either using internal aa batteries - rechargable nimh) and records at up to 24 bit/192k.  There's an oade warm modded version that includes several cf cards up for sale in the YS that might be worth considering too.  Although larger than the marantz, it's surprisingly light  . . . http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=157588.0

Offline beccogiallo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 05:44:28 AM »

only supercardioids at this moment, that's probably why I am dissatisfied, hence the thoughts about the Beyers.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:51:50 AM by beccogiallo »
*** Luca ***

Offline beccogiallo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 05:49:10 AM »
although OT, I've been really impressed with what my tascam hd-p2 brings to the table.  Unmodified, the preamp section sounds great, it's easy to power (either using internal aa batteries - rechargable nimh) and records at up to 24 bit/192k.  There's an oade warm modded version that includes several cf cards up for sale in the YS that might be worth considering too.  Although larger than the marantz, it's surprisingly light  . . . http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=157588.0

You're completely right and thanks for the link. I had the opportunity to use the HD-P2 a couple of times with my bluelines and with TLM 67s (which are too thick for stereo classical miking IMHO, but that's another topic).
I was satisfied with the Tascam, perhaps I only noticed some hiss at high-ish gains, but I'm not sure. I didn't take it into consideration at first for the price, and because perhaps I wanted something a bit smaller.
YS item price appears to be very good, as usual buying in the USA from Europe is a fair bit unconvenient...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:54:33 AM by beccogiallo »
*** Luca ***

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 08:35:41 AM »

only supercardioids at this moment, that's probably why I am dissatisfied, hence the thoughts about the Beyers.  :-\

Probably. The cards and the eights are the best ones IMHO.
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline beccogiallo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 05:56:57 PM »
It appears that the PMD-671 could be sonically and techically on par with the hd-p2 (apart from smaller screen and 96/192 khz). What do you think about that?
*** Luca ***

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.148 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com