Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Car Stereos ?  (Read 8649 times)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Re: Car Stereos ?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 02:40:36 PM »
Thanks all.

The crutchfeld route is probably what i'll do but there were only a few choices for the "full size" center i have. They had a bunch for the regular form factor.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 04:46:26 PM »
Thanks all.

The crutchfeld route is probably what i'll do but there were only a few choices for the "full size" center i have. They had a bunch for the regular form factor.

"full size"???  Do you mean Double DIN???  Get a normal DIN deck and the adapter plate for it will usually have a pocket underneath for your junk...

Double DIN is the way most cars come now - both of ours Hondas are like this, as was my Mazda and Subaru previously...  For all, I just got a normal stereo and used the plate which gave me that map pocket...  BTW, Crutchfield will give you the adapter plate for free... 

Terry
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:51:00 PM by -T Watts (still not wearing pants) »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 01:40:31 PM »
Don't get an Alpine.  Maybe they were good back in the day but now they are terrible.  I got an Alpine two years ago that I want to replace, it's awful.  It doesn't read ID3 tags that come up just fine in every other player and when it can't find track number tags it plays in arbitrary order instead of sorted by the file name!  It has problems reading some memory sticks and the screen has so much glare that it is completely unreadable in the day.  The model I got can be time-aligned and EQ'd by plugging a USB cable into your laptop and putting a mic in the seat.  However, the crap software always crashed so I ended up doing it the old fashioned way.  When you bring up the list of radio presets it always starts at #1 instead of highlighting the one you are on, making flipping through your presets tedious and requiring looking at the thing.

Time alignment is a good feature, makes it sound like you're sitting in the center instead of next to one of the speakers.

It would be helpful to know the particular model you're talking about. I'm a huge fan of Alpine and have never been disappointed by any of their decks.
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 02:09:36 PM »
After a quick chat session with Crutchfled I decided to pull the trigger on a singel DIN sony head unit

reviews were good and it has the features I wanted.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll let you know how the install goes, should be here by the end of the week.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 11:35:59 PM »

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 04:37:37 PM »

You post that NOW!!!. I just got my wiring done :)

That would have been pretty awesome back in the day tho

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »

You post that NOW!!!. I just got my wiring done :)

That would have been pretty awesome back in the day tho

Heck I could use that right now
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline burris

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Your favorite mics suck.
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 05:50:19 PM »
I have an Alpine IDA-X305, which is horrible and still made by Alpine.  I hope the OP's Sony turns out to be much better!

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 04:41:03 PM »
I have an Alpine IDA-X305, which is horrible and still made by Alpine.  I hope the OP's Sony turns out to be much better!

I'll let you know i n a little while.

I did the wiring of the stereo harness to adapter harness yesterday while sitting at my office desk :) (nice when the boss is out of the office).

So now I just have to dismantle my dash. I think I am going to tackle that when i get home from work.

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 04:01:02 PM »
Ok so for the short time i have had the new head unit in the car i really like it and have been impressed with the features that sony has etc

The install went pretty well. It was a good thing i did the wiring prior to the install as it save me a lot of time and trouble. The biggest obstacle was getting in to my dash to remove the old stereo. That proved to be a HUGE pain in the ass.

Plugged in a usb flash drive and it fired right up.

Thanks to all for the suggestions etc. I think I would do it again. Having done an install I think the next one would be smoother and i would know a little but better whats involved.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 04:18:08 PM »
Glad it worked out for you!  Yeah, getting into the dash is always the hardest part...  And I always seemed to have an extra screw or two left over when I was done... 

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com