Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggestions on getting 24 bit audio from PC to stereo system?  (Read 7635 times)

Offline Darren

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Suggestions on getting 24 bit audio from PC to stereo system?
« on: December 29, 2012, 03:14:30 AM »
I've been out of the audio collecting hobby for a while but still have a large number of shows I'd like to play from time to time.

This year I bought a laptop and my aim is to connect it to my stereo to hear the audio through the speakers.  However. my knowledge of technology is current to about 2009.  :o Can someone help?

I'll need what is calleda DAC (?) or a USB audio interface, right?  I just want to plug something into the USB of my laptop and then run the line outs of the device to my stereo.

Can someone suggest the right devise for me and provide links?

Thanks in advance. :)

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 12:17:39 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
Re: Suggestions on getting 24 bit audio from PC to stereo system?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 11:49:54 AM »
There are plenty of inexpensive options out there.  I even use a UA5 for a lot of mastering type work - I feed it via USB and it goes to the stereo.  What I really like abut that is that the ua5 sits next to my keyboard and it has a convenient volume knob. I find a real volume knob essential for mastering content that has dramatic swings in volume, whether the output is to headphones or speakers.  The ua5 is no longer produced but they seem to be dirt cheap when they come up for sale ($50 comes to mind but I may be mistaken).  It's also handy for certain tests and transfers where I want realtime content on a PC.

As an alternative to USB, you might consider something that runs ethernet or wifi.  USB will always be distance limited.  I am still a big fan of the Squeezebox, and probably always will be.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 12:54:36 PM »
Stu:

Cheapest/easiest first step (if you haven't already determined it to not be good enough) would be to run an analogue cable from your laptop's headphone out directly into your stereo (1/8" stereo mini>rca pair) and see if this produces satisfactory results.  Some Laptops have surprisingly good analog outputs.  The suggestions made above are all likely better solutions, but doesn't hurt to try this first?

Another question -- does your stereo accept digital inputs (most recent home theater systems do)?  If it does, you may find that a usb device that provides a digital output would be best for your situation.

Darrin
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:27:59 PM by dnsacks »

Offline tapjunkie

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 01:09:48 PM »
Music Direct has many options for this in many price ranges. (musicdirect.com)

http://www.musicdirect.com/c-690-usb-dacs.aspx

adrianf74

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 08:25:10 PM »
Does your laptop have HDMI out and does your receiver have HDMI in?  If so, that's the EASIEST way to get there.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 10:58:27 AM »
If you happen to have certain Macs like the MacBook Pro, it has a direct optical digital out (the headphone out is an auto-switchable optical digital out).  Assuming your stereo has optical digital inputs, just connect it and you're done.  I'm sure MacBook Pros aren't the only laptops with this option by any means.

Apple AirPlay will also stream wirelessly to an Airport Express or Apple TV connected to a stereo system.  I believe that's only 16 bit, though, if such things bother you.

When I'm not using one of the other above options, I use my USBPre2 to connect optically to my stereo, but that's only because I happen to already own the thing for use as a preamp.  It's not the economical choice for just this purpose, but if you're looking for a new pre anyway....
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 11:55:04 AM »
Does your laptop have HDMI out and does your receiver have HDMI in?  If so, that's the EASIEST way to get there.

this

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 09:29:41 AM »
I would avoid HDMI for audio use it has the highest jitter rate of any interface.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 11:51:50 AM »
I would avoid HDMI for audio use it has the highest jitter rate of any interface.

link?
Recording:
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
Recording:

adrianf74

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 03:28:19 PM »
Can be deemed to be audio snobbery and the question is, can you actually hear it?  I've got EXCELLENT hearing and never once have I heard anything seeming out of place.  That's not to say that it is or isn't perfect but I get sick of this stuff when it really makes "little to no difference."   

Analog audio produced worst results.  This has been talked about 'round and 'round on various forums including AVS.

Here was a recent thread from over there...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1436150/hdmi-jitter/30

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com