Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-05  (Read 29995 times)

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-05
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2015, 09:55:54 AM »
Well that would definitely explain the sq/balance, especially the lack of vocals. That's a pretty standard part of recording on stage, definitely comes across in the camera recording too, although that one is a little brighter

Offline UnknownVT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2015, 11:07:18 AM »
Well that would definitely explain the sq/balance, especially the lack of vocals. That's a pretty standard part of recording on stage, definitely comes across in the camera recording too, although that one is a little brighter

Thank you again for your comments.

Sorry, I probably wasn't very clear in my previous post -
the video was from an entirely different date (over 4 months ago) and different venue -
it was much, much bigger (a hall), and definitely no where near packed the way the audio recording venue was -
in fact it was pretty sparse.

From the video one can see I was much further back from the stage -
if the video's audio sounded even vaguely similar -
that means their regular sound balance does seem to have the vocals recessed,
and makes that Tascam DR-05 audio only recording remarkable,
that under the ridiculous circumstances -
it could even manage to achieve a balance comparable to a recording (video) that was much less handicapped.

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2015, 01:53:07 PM »
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification.  I must admit I didn't watch the video very closely, mostly just loaded it to hear the comparison in the audio

Offline UnknownVT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2015, 02:39:49 PM »
It's been a while...

First, a recording on the DR-05 (internal mics) in a great sounding space -

It's an old wood church that's been moved/rebuilt on a nature preserve/conservancy -
I was astounded by the natural sound quality during the sound check -

Tascam DR-05 24bit 48kHz WAV > 44.1k vbr3 + RG -

04 Anouman.mp3 - Download (6.35MB)

08 Songe d'Automne.mp3 - Download (5.03MB)

09 It was so Beautiful with You.mp3  - Download (7.01MB)

11 Indifference.mp3 - Download (5.54MB)

I am there to do photography, but the (casual) audio recording is a bonus -
and in this case a real treat.

I realized I do photography (and casual audio recording) basically to try to share my experience.

It took a while to dawn on me video was the way to go -
luckily I started to do videos on Panasonic mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras (ILC) -
although Panasonic ILC cameras record MP4 audio with 48 kHz 128kHz AAC (regarded as "transparent", though lossy)
I think the quality is acceptable, as they use Panasonic mics - long been highly regarded and the basis of many DIY and indie mics.

Couple of videos from that same gig -

Bonaventure Quartet All Strings - For Sephora @ Autrey Mill, Johns Creek, GA - Sat May/30/2015 HD

Bonaventure Quartet All Strings - Tchavolo Swing @ Autrey Mill, Johns Creek, GA - Sat May/30/2015 HD

The sound is perhaps a bit less warm than the DR-05 recording, but in isolation I would not complain.....
this is why I have not yet replaced the audio from my videos with the DR-05 recordings.

However, as a sort of "half step" toward that -
For songs I missed on video -
I put the audio recordings to slideshows of my photos and post them as YouTube "videos" -

Some more recent ones that I thought turned out pretty well -

Annie Sellick & Hot Club - Full Moon Saturday Night @ Steve's Live Music - Aug/27/2015 - SLIDESHOW HD

Laura Coyle - I Love Paris/Begin the Beguine @ Churchill Grounds, Atlanta - Aug/29/2015 - SLIDESHOW HD

Laura Coyle - Willow Weep for Me @ Churchill Grounds, Atlanta - Sat Aug/29/2015 - SLIDESHOW HD

Offline Gunner

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2015, 10:32:57 PM »
^^samples sound good!

I also have a DR-05. I taped a few shows using the internal mics. I had better results using it at an outdoor festival than indoors, but I'm still learning.
Next step would be buying some external mics. I've been reading the forums and I guess Church Audio are the way to go, right?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com