Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: On Stage, Multiple Portable Recorders  (Read 3941 times)

Offline YYZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • My Recordings
On Stage, Multiple Portable Recorders
« on: October 18, 2015, 10:31:59 PM »
I'm a fairly new, and totally amateur taper. I started with a single recorder a few years ago, adding more equipment over time. My rig is a logical extension of using just a portable recorder, but with better mics, and is meant to be totally self-contained, portable, and easy to slip on-stage hopefully before anyone can object.

Lately, I've been using multiple portable recorders, on stage, and mixing the tracks. I'd be grateful for any advice on mixing tracks, tricks and such. I've learned to speed-adjust the tracks, even for each song b4 mixing. Another trick I found was inverting one channel of a particular soundboard, leaving only the keyboards, which were missing from my on-stage pull.  For panning adjustment i try to line up the split omnis with the x/y image. Any advice for mixing, panning and such is helpful, as I'm very green at mixing tracks.

My equipment a pair of DR 40's, DR 05, & H2 recorders. In addition I'm using an AT822 (into the DR 05), and SP C4 (usually omni, but also card caps) (into a DR 40). Also, I've used Behringer C2 mics for instruments. Typically I'll put the AT822 front/center & split the omnis to best pick up the instruments, running the mics over vocal monitors when necessary, and using the C2s for close-up work - not to mention the DR 40 internal mics, and I can still grab a board w/ the H2. I'm using small, kick-drum type stands, with some gooseneck extensions if needed. I have clamps to hold the recorders to the stands, and tho I'd prefer to run stereo mics into a single recorder, I can, if needed, use 3 stands separately w/o running wires between them.

One item I've only experimented with is a foam soccer ball as an omni baffle. It's easy to run a boom arm through the ball, then with some clamps & bars place omni mics on the side of the ball, making a nice pseudo binaural baffle. From tests I've done it seems to make a nice stereo image, and I plan to use this along w/ my x/y on top if I ever do a more traditional pull from near the board.

My rig is fairly affordable, the mics were used, no item cost more than $150 and I built it up over time. Some ideas I have are picking up a cheap kick drum mic, and using dynamic mics for close up instrument recording. Are dynamic mics good for this? Any tips on equipment or production techniques for my type of setup & production/mixing is helpful and interesting. Thanks for reading.

https://soundcloud.com/xxxyyzxxx
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:36:17 PM by YYZ »

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: On Stage, Multiple Portable Recorders
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 07:09:58 PM »
 :o You are quite the dedicated budget recordist! My hat is off to you!

Lately, I've been using multiple portable recorders, on stage, and mixing the tracks. I'd be grateful for any advice on mixing tracks, tricks and such. I've learned to speed-adjust the tracks, even for each song b4 mixing
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 10:57:57 PM »
Dynamic mics are fine for close micing instruments. A large percentage of instruments on stage are miced with the humble Shure SM57. They work with amps, horns, drums and even vocals.  Sennheiser e609 is a good amp mic because they can be draped over the amp doing away with the stand. The e609 will work well on drums and horns too. For un-amped acoustic instruments you'll need a good cardioid condensor. I'd aim for a decent midlevel kick mic. The lower priced ones just don't seem to get it in my limited experience. A kick mic will work well on a bass amp too.  You could build you own subkick mic (https://www.google.com/search?q=build+your+own+kick+drum+mic&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8) and use an SM57 set inside the drum to pick up the beater but that would add one more channel to record.

You might want to check Craig's List, eBay and sites like that for Shure SM57 and SM58 mics. You can pick them up used for $50 sometimes. While there are other differences between the two models, the biggest difference is the windscreen. The SM58 is better for vocals because of that. But you can use an SM58 on instruments just fine. I have seen people hang a SM58 over an amp by the cable and it can work but it does place the mic off-axis which can sound a bit off.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline EarlyMorningRain

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 10:17:34 AM »
I have seen people hang a SM58 over an amp by the cable and it can work but it does place the mic off-axis which can sound a bit off.

sorry off topic and I cannot help out the OP, but I wonder why this is done? Short on shorty mic stands, or ??

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 10:25:25 AM »
I have seen people hang a SM58 over an amp by the cable and it can work but it does place the mic off-axis which can sound a bit off.

sorry off topic and I cannot help out the OP, but I wonder why this is done? Short on shorty mic stands, or ??

Short on stands or no room for a stand.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 04:36:20 PM »

out of mic clips and/or don't have this:
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 06:12:01 PM »

out of mic clips and/or don't have this:

I own three of those and they are great but they don't always work. They wont work on an amp on wheels or on a stand. I also bought three Audix cab grabbers but we hardly ever use those since I bought
Sennheiser e609 mics which are great for hanging because they are side addressed and flat.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com