Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MP-2, PSP-2, or SAX; decisions, decisions  (Read 15843 times)

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
Re:MP-2, PSP-2, or SAX; decisions, decisions
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2003, 08:47:42 PM »
So if all highend gear needs to be transparent and non-transparent gear is not highend? I own it specifically because it's not transparent.

I think this is one of those is the glass half-full or half-empty sort of arguments. If our goal is to archive the music the best we can then in my mind that means being transparent from start to finish. If a preamp, A/D, or microphone adds more low-end, mid-range, or top-end, then that's not really what the audience heard. Is this bad? Not  really because in some cases the recordings hide some of the crappy mixes. But, if you really want to do the show justice, you simply try to get a very flat recording (transparent) that you can EQ later if you really want to. This is what on-location recording is all about. Studio stuff is totally different.

So, why is this like the half-empty, half-full argument? Because in the end there will usually be some type of EQ going on. If you like a bit more warmth, you can EQ your tape to sound that way afterwards. However, if you have a pre-amp, Mic, or A/D that adds that warmth without the EQ then you don't use EQ. The end result is the same.

In my opinion (aren't all things like this??), a preamp should never add or remove anything (regardless of high-end or low-end). It should be transparent, but again I think this is simply a difference in philosophy and not in the end result.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2003, 09:39:54 PM »
I personally prefer a super-lifelike, crystal-clear, see-through transparent recording over -anything- else, and I agree with Wayne in the "recording what the audience heard" respect. But I don't think that doing that is everyone's goal. Might be yours and mine, but not others'. People run different gear so they can get the sound they prefer, and no amount of careful post-recording EQing can duplicate what a specific pre or a/d does, so I don't think the end result is the same at all.
People choosing gear to get the sound they want sure is doing the show justice! Hell, I think different-sounding gear gives different perspectives of a show, different ways to listen to the music. Giving up the quest to recreate as accurately as possible doesn't take anything away from the show.
Armen

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2003, 02:03:13 AM »
just give ALL the equipment to me and that will settle it.......... 8)

bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline danmorgan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2003, 09:30:21 AM »
just give ALL the equipment to me and that will settle it.......... 8)

bean

All your gear is belong to Bean ;)

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2003, 12:29:08 AM »
I would pick the mp2 as last. If you want transormer out then go w/ the psp-2.  Jonny does the sx-2 have xfmr out??? There are many sx-2 users who swear by them...likewise the psp-2.   There was a big thread on the Oade board...search the archives.
  See if the psp-2 owner will let you try it out first.
As for metal detectors...you still have the mics to contend w/.

I have already searched the oade archives and the threads I came up with were mostly PSP-2 owners (and those selling them) saying that the psp-2 had tighter bass than the MP-2 followed by MP-2 owners saying that their bass was plenty tight.  I will contact the PSP-2 owner to see about borrowing it for a test run.  Any idea what type of transformers the psp-2 uses? I haven't been able to find that info out.  David Josephson personally uses the MP-2 and suggested it as a good field pre for the mics, that's one reason it's on the list.

Thanks for the help so far guys, keep it comin'

I'm jumping on this once really late......But, I'd have to say that the MP-2's bass is going to be kinda "sloppy" I run a USBPre, so, the similarities in the pre of the USBPre and the MP2 would be close enough.  I just think that you could get a little bit cleaner bass than what the MP-2 / USBPre have to offer
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2003, 08:30:20 AM »
the MP-2 bass may be kind of sloppy standing by itself, but in running it with my mod sbm-1 it sounds pretty clean to my ears...

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2003, 09:08:15 AM »
Oh yeah, I agree completely. Byt itself, it's another story

I'm still digging the particle show from the Lincoln. I taped barefoot at the Lincoln back on 5.17, and thats when I relaized using a USBPre alone with the 480's is not a good idea, haha

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2003, 09:18:13 AM »
alot of it depends on your location at the Lincoln too....we ran at the front rail, right above the floor....that is the first time I had ran there, usually I would run in the aisle next to the SBD, and it was much cleaner down below.  Can't wait for them to build that balcony there and raise the PA...it will be nice to be able to tape from above and not have to deal with the crowds!

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2003, 09:35:19 AM »
Yeah, I was taping on that front rail in front of the SBD, not the one that touches it, but then one in front. I ran NOS there for their NYE show, and ran DIN last time. The bass is nice and smooth, but it's not defined at all. I'll have to tape a little lower down next time

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com