Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: low profile ( shorter adaptors) 3 pin xlr cables  (Read 7560 times)

Offline rcklseric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
low profile ( shorter adaptors) 3 pin xlr cables
« on: April 30, 2011, 07:14:09 PM »
Im a  sound mixer from Portland Oregon, who works out of a petrol bag. My XLR adaptors are always too long and get crunched in the side of the bag.  im trying to find a company or individual who makes this exact cable:

36" to 40" long. the female side would have a right angle but a shorter adaptor size (imagine cutting off the rubber and having the cable come out the side of the adaptor).  Metal caps would be ideal but plastic would work too.) The male side would be a straight adaptor but also much shorter ( less then an inch) with the cable coming right out of the back.

i've enclosed a few pics with cables that are almost right.

In an idea world, the cables would have colored caps on the end for easy spotting in darker locations. im enclosing a bunch of pics. The cables would be for coming out of Lectros 411 receivers( 4 of them) into (in my case) a 442 mixer. also two more to come out of the 442 and into my 744T recorder. and i guess two would need to be XLR to TA3's  for the other two inputs into the 744.

So many companies get close but no cigar. there is a german company  ( see link below) that almost makes it. they will make it custom but its over $45 a cable. thats cost prohibitive for most mixers. we would rather use the  $6.00 kind that pinch and then just replace them in a year or so. but if someone made this cable for say $20, i think  thousands of mixers in america and around the world would buy them.

here is the link:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.filmtontechnik.de/&ei=D2a4TaicKaPPiALzqL01&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB8Q7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dfilmtontechnik%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26prmd%3Divnsm
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:30:34 PM by rcklseric »

Offline rcklseric

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: low profile ( shorter adaptors) 3 pin xlr cables
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 07:45:23 PM »
here are a few more pics of some cables. you'll notice some are 5 pin. i need 3 pin but the design works and im including them for illustration only

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 07:48:37 PM »
There are some cable makers here who will be happy to accommodate you, I've done virtually that exact configuration of ends before. The retail section of the forum has a couple (such as Ted Gakidis). Best of luck.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline rcklseric

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 07:49:58 PM »
much obliged

Offline rcklseric

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 07:58:14 PM »
im brand new to this forum. where is the retail section or how do i get my idea to these cable makers?

im trying to find someone that would not just make them for me but make them for  sound mixers everywhere that have this cable issue.  i know there are companies that will make my cable for me but they want over $43 per cable. i was hoping some enterprising company or individual would mass produce these  so that economies of scale wold kick in and the price would not be prohibitive. i would like to pay about $20 for this cable. maybe as high as $25 but anymore then that and i  would just have to buy the regular rt angle   cable that sells for $6.00. even though its not a great fit, it does work and so far i havent had to replace mine.

thanks again for the heads up though

eric

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 08:07:23 PM »
im brand new to this forum. where is the retail section or how do i get my idea to these cable makers?

im trying to find someone that would not just make them for me but make them for  sound mixers everywhere that have this cable issue.  i know there are companies that will make my cable for me but they want over $43 per cable. i was hoping some enterprising company or individual would mass produce these  so that economies of scale wold kick in and the price would not be prohibitive. i would like to pay about $20 for this cable. maybe as high as $25 but anymore then that and i  would just have to buy the regular rt angle   cable that sells for $6.00. even though its not a great fit, it does work and so far i havent had to replace mine.

thanks again for the heads up though

eric

sorry about that.

retail section:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?board=22.0

Ted's thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline rcklseric

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 09:11:28 PM »
i think tgakidis might be the guy. thanks for pointing me in the right direction

e

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 10:06:33 PM »
i think tgakidis might be the guy. thanks for pointing me in the right direction

e

He is the guy for this project. I have several successful transactions with him and the cables never fail.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 03:13:05 AM »
Yeah Ted should be able to fix you right up. But don't forget, the silver cabling, the techflex, plus Good Neutrik connectors, plus epoxy all cost money, and if you want a true HQ cable, you'll pay what Ted wants, and trust me, you will be more than happy ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline rcklseric

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 03:28:25 AM »
agreed. quality cost money. but maybe to save a few bucks i can give him a 3 ft xlr cable. actually the rt angle side is ok  well it need to be turned about 45 degrees to be optimal. its the male end that needs to be modified. maybe if i gave him the cable then he would just charge me for the labor. if he does then i can afford to have more done by him.

if it gets too expensive then i'll just have to live with the ones i have which work fine. i just dont like how they seat in my bag. but so far none of them have given me any problems.  it would just make my bag more efficient to work with.

i'll run it by him and see what he says . but i looked at his and Robb Reicha's. they both have made some beautiful cables. wish i had any of these skills. alas putting something electric, that heats up, in my hands is a dangerous proposition.thats why my bag runs on NP1's

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 03:52:30 AM »
what are NP1's?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline rcklseric

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 04:09:39 AM »
oh they're batteries. the look like a big candy bar so they are sometimes called candy bars.  they're rectangles about  9" long by about 4"  wide and an  about 3/4" deep. if you want i'll send you a pic of my bag which has 4  Lectro radio receivers; one 442 mixer; and one 744 time code recorder along with one Comtek transmitter. its powered  by a BDS ( battery distribution  system) its pretty well thought up but theres always room to make it more stealth. all sound mixers are always tweaking their bags a little to make then  more efficient when accessing  knobs and such.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 02:27:58 AM »
agreed. quality cost money.

maybe if i gave him the cable then he would just charge me for the labor

I can't speak for anyone else on this forum but I've made over a  thousand feet of cables (all custom) for people here.

Custom work costs money and if you don't want to pay you can learn to do it for yourself.

Stubbie connectors are difficult to make and cost the same in parts as a regular connector with 5 times the labor/time cost. It takes 10 minutes to prep the wire and solder on an XLR conector. It takes an hour to make a pair of stubbies.

If you want a quality piece of gear you should expect to pay for it...not less but more than off the shelf.....especially if your livelihood depends on it.

That being said....Ted does really nice work and uses quality parts. If you get custom cables from him you will be happy. His prices are very reasonable as well. He charges a lot less than I did when I was doing a lot of custom work.

RE: $6 cables??? Neutrik connectors cost $3.50 each...where can you get a $6 XLR interconnect?
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline rcklseric

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 02:32:08 AM »
Yeah we know. if you had read this thread, we all agreed on that. i hired ted to make one cable, and was so happy with it that  i ordered four more. and will prolly order at least two more and show all my mixer friends. and they too will order  from him.

so thank for the insight.albeit about a month late.

jesus ! why are so many cable makers  such angry fuckers?

not you ted!!

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 02:04:58 PM »
Yeah we know. if you had read this thread, we all agreed on that. i hired ted to make one cable, and was so happy with it that  i ordered four more. and will prolly order at least two more and show all my mixer friends. and they too will order  from him.

so thank for the insight.albeit about a month late.

jesus ! why are so many cable makers  such angry fuckers?

not you ted!!

I'm not angry I'm just stating my opinion on a public forum. Typing doesn't really put across the tone of the words very well sometimes.

You started a thread saying "I want X and I want it to cost Y". I was just trying to point out that may be a little unrealistic. I didn't really understand why cost was an issue with your cabling when you run a rig worth thousands. Weakest link in the chain, you know.

So I guess the good news is you have what you want at a price you can accept and Ted may get some new business out of the deal. I did some custom work for some film guys in Toronto when I was making cables and they were very appreciative of the form factor since they wore their gear bags all day and it helped them be more compact and tidy.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com