Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ipod friendly MP3 Format, LAME VBR?  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Denes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Mr. Charlie told me so
Ipod friendly MP3 Format, LAME VBR?
« on: June 26, 2012, 07:48:05 PM »
I am editing with Audacity.  I live in a rural area, so the best we can get is the satelite internet, which is slow to upload.  So, I can really only load MP3's to Archive.

I use Audacity to process my music.  I have been using LAME MP3 Generator, variable bit rate Quality zero (about 250k).   I usually pick the best channel, and use mono.

I hear that may effect Ipod users, which is probably the most common way to listen music on the go.
The side stage is my rigs main stage.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Ipod friendly MP3 Format, LAME VBR?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 08:30:17 PM »
Burn the lossless flacs to a CD or DVD and mail them to a friend to upload to the archive.  I wouldn't mess with uploading mp3's when you can have the lossless files uploaded pretty easily.  You can mail tracked shows to me and I'll upload them for you.  I'm sure greenone would offer the same.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:07:27 PM »
Hmmm...  :zoomie1: :zoomie1: recordings?

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:08:40 AM »
If you ever wanted to burn a bunch of your recordings and send the FLAC's to me, I would happily do that for you. Save up a bunch...or send a bunch you've already uploaded in MP3.

I've got FOUR OC192 connections at work. Doesn't take too long to get stuff up there.

And as far as quality goes for MP3 your on the right track. V0 mp3's really can only be topped by a CBR 320kbps mp3. I can't tell the difference between the 2. I CAN tell the difference between MP3 and FLAC (most of the time)...and can easily tell the difference between a nice recording to 24 bit FLAC and a mp3. I would absolutely quit that mono shit...and upload stereo. And when it comes down to it, I'd MUCH rather have a stereo V2 mp3 over a mono anything.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 12:17:46 AM »
Yeah, Mikes right, stop vandalizing your tapes with MP3 and mono....what the hell man?  I would rather die as the sole listener to my tapes than get them out there to the masses sounding like crap.  Keep quality and fuck the quantity!  Keep your integrity, & keep your tapes soundy!

Jimna2012
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »
I am editing with Audacity.  I live in a rural area, so the best we can get is the satelite internet, which is slow to upload.  So, I can really only load MP3's to Archive.

I use Audacity to process my music.  I have been using LAME MP3 Generator, variable bit rate Quality zero (about 250k).   I usually pick the best channel, and use mono.

I hear that may effect Ipod users, which is probably the most common way to listen music on the go.

Nothing wrong with VBR0 MP3 as a listening format (in stereo, not mono) - I usually listen to stuff on my iThings in VBR0 and it sounds fine. 

But as the others said, don't ruin your recordings by converting them to mono, and really, you ought to upload them as FLAC or another lossless format.

I also assume you sleep several hours a night, so you could set the stuff up to u/l while you sleep.  Then you've got 6-8hrs or so for your slow internet to work its magic :)
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Denes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Mr. Charlie told me so
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 10:24:09 PM »
Overnight does not work.  For some reason Archive jams up on me.  After the files are uploaded, I click the button on the bottom.  It says to try again, searcher for indentifier.

I so far have uploaded the VBR quality 0 MP3's on archive after work, check up on the machine every 1/2 hour or so, when 2 to 2.5 hours passed, then enter the indentifier data after thr transfer, and everything works good.

I am taking it a bit slower now.  I got about 12 more sets to go through until the festival is uploaded in it's entirety.  It's a small fest, but seom really good local bands are in there.

The side stage is my rigs main stage.

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 11:35:49 PM »
Overnight does not work.  For some reason Archive jams up on me.  After the files are uploaded, I click the button on the bottom.  It says to try again, searcher for indentifier.

I so far have uploaded the VBR quality 0 MP3's on archive after work, check up on the machine every 1/2 hour or so, when 2 to 2.5 hours passed, then enter the indentifier data after thr transfer, and everything works good.

The Live Music Archive collection actually doesn't accept uploads in mp3 format - bands are informed when we activate their collections that the LMA is for lossless uploads. If you want to upload mp3, you can, but in the Community Audio collection.

With that in mind, any identifier issues are usually a result of entering the identifier info before the upload is finished - the system *will* reserve an identifier for you temporarily when you first enter the abbreviation, date and extension, but it times out after a while and chokes. If you're doing it at the end of your upload and it still barfs, try refreshing the page and hitting "Share" again - it should recognize your uploaded files still in the queue, and let you enter the identifier again. Other solutions that have worked for the same problem - just enter the abbreviation and date, leaving the last field blank, or using the tab key to move between fields rather than clicking with the mouse to move the cursor.

And yes, my offer to upload tracked FLACs is always good.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com